Clicking/popping :(

Apr 5, 2008
Washington
I'm using a 003 rack with a Presonus Digimax connected through ADAT and synced with a cheap BNC cable that I found at my work. I have the Digimax set to "ext clock" and everything went great while tracking an entire EP, but yesterday while I was tracking drums I would get random clicks and pops across a few of the ADAT channels, but not all of them, none of the 003 channels, and it would be different channels each time.

What would be the easiest way to mask or get rid of the spikes in Pro Tools? Also what could I do as a permanent fix? It doesn't seem like my settings are incorrect since it happens so infrequently; maybe it would be worth buying a better BNC cable?

just use the pencil tool to even these out!

when connected via adat, you dont need another cable to sync the setup. it should do it via the adat

i use my 002 as the host, and my Motu 8pre as the extra 8 mic pres via adat, i just set the digi to external clock source (as for sum reason wen i use the digidesign as the master, i get clicks and pops from the motu, even though its slaved.

If you're using a cheap ADAT cable, or if the cable is not perfectly lined up in the jacks on the 002 or the Presonus, I've encountered those random clicks as well. Just unplug the ADAT cable and plug it in again, and make sure it's snug.

check where the clock source is set in pro tools in the 'hardware' tab

If syncing the presonus to the 003, make sure the sync is set to internal.

Try setting the clock to 'optical' and setting the digimax as the master clock and see if that helps

Or do that then swich back

To sync the Presonus to the 003 clock, though, wouldn't you also need to run another ADAT cable from the 003 output to the Presonus in? (cuz I thought you couldn't send clocking info via ADAT)

To sync the Presonus to the 003 clock, though, wouldn't you also need to run another ADAT cable from the 003 output to the Presonus in? (cuz I thought you couldn't send clocking info via ADAT)

Yeah that's why I did the BNC cable out of the 003 into the Digimax, I thought that ADAT didn't carry word clock info. Actually before I had the connection I would get steady popping in every channel.

You should look into the specs of each too. I wouldn't doubt the clock on the presonus is a little bit better.

You should look into the specs of each too. I wouldn't doubt the clock on the presonus is a little bit better.

You think? I dunno, the Digimax is hardly a hi-end unit... (though not like the 003 is either, despite the price :rolleyes: )

You think? I dunno, the Digimax is hardly a hi-end unit... (though not like the 003 is either, despite the price :rolleyes: )

I didn't look up the Digi. I have a Firestudio and a DigimaxFS and Presonus definitly boasts their clock and converters. Not that that means a whole lot, but I'de look into it for the sake of checking.

Skip the BNC and set the sync source to the adat optical in in protools.

This might sound dumb, but if I change my clock source to the ADAT unit after I recorded all the drums with it slaved to the interface, am I going to have any issues with the new tracks I'm about to record lining up with the drums?

Right on, thanks for the advice guys! I'll go pencil that shit out tonight. And you're right Aaron, I'm using the Hosa ADAT cable :erk:

Haha, that's the exact same awful cable I have too. I wouldn't even call it a cable actually, it's more of like...a plastic coffee stirrer spliced in half. I don't know why I skimped out on getting a good ADAT cable, but once I figured out how to make it function without clicks, I haven't been in a rush to replace it.

This might sound dumb, but if I change my clock source to the ADAT unit after I recorded all the drums with it slaved to the interface, am I going to have any issues with the new tracks I'm about to record lining up with the drums?

Nope!

Well the truth is, if you're gonna skimp on any cable, digital is the way to go, cuz it either works or it doesn't (it's not like your get noise or interference). Then again, when clocking is being sent through, I seem to remember the guy at the Benchmark booth at NAMM mentioning that there can be subtle differences, but you know those converter nuts :lol:

BNC cables for sync need to be of different impedance. I can't remember which... maybe 15 ohm, but not sure.

If you are using for example a a AD converter/pre before the 002, it should be on it's internal sync and the digi as slave.

Ppreferences --> hardware --> clock source - OPTICAL (unless you find the right BNC lead).