Climatic factor and drums.....holy shit!

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Last weekend I recorded drums for a Gojira's style band I'm working with.
We went to the house friday afternoon to setup everything, drums and mics and everything went very smooth: great drums (old heads but it's a promo so it didn't really matter), great musicians and after setting the mics, the sound was immediately very very good.
We recorded some test and we leave the house.
Saturday morning we returned to the house (during the night the temp goes down 3 or 4 degrees) and the kick drums (that was really awesome the day before) sounded like shit....it lose all the attack and it became a big bass rumble...
We started to tune up the head, 2...3....4 times...but we didn't get the sound we had the first day......it was incredible. The rest of the drums only needed a little tweaking, less than a 1/4 turn all around and it was ok.
I've never seen something like that...and I've already recorded there many times.
At the end I'll replace the kick with one of my samples...but there are 1 song (not included in the ep fortunately) where there are 2 or 3 furious double kick parts that trigger or aptrigga can't recognize correctly because of the big amount of sub harmonics in the kick sound..... of course I was tempted to use a ddrum trigger when I heard the problem, but drums is not their, it was lended by a friend and it had a muted ring...so I can't put a trigger on it........
Big big disapointment anyway.....

Anyway, kick drum is very sensitive and it depends by different factors, like batters, the consistence of the hits,etc... so why the big producers always mic the kick if everytime they end replacing 100% with samples? I mean with rock music I can take the natural kick, maybe with a sample for reinforce the sound...but in metal with very fast kick parts, why they still mic it? I do it the same, but in the end, I always replace a lot because the dynamic is so high..

but there are 1 song (not included in the ep fortunately) where there are 2 or 3 furious double kick parts that trigger or aptrigga can't recognize correctly because of the big amount of sub harmonics in the kick sound....

Set the trigger filter for the input to cut the subs...you can even trigger off of the kick's highs if the bleed isn't too bad. If all else fails, draw some midi, unless you're not recording to a click.

Yes I know....also changing the eq before trigger helps it a lot...it triggers the sound and not the wave form....don't know if it happens also with aptrigga...yesterday I tried cutting lot of bass and the waveform inside trigger looked like a trigger signal...very cool