Clips from new Iced Earth single streaming

"I Walk Alone" sounds just like a continuation of the sound and feel from the songs from Framing Armageddon. That's a good thing, although there was a part of me that was hoping the sound would be a little bit more like old-school Iced Earth.

Sounds awesome to me. Barlow is making these songs his own. I wonder if we are all listening to the same thing. he doesnt sound "forced" he sounds "forceful" as all hell, just like always has been.

Setian Massacre sounds so..hmm, a-fucking-mazing now!!

Barlow and Tim are two vocalists who are among the elite of the elite. Consequently, I suspect it's going to be as difficult for Barlow to make Tim's stuff his own, just as it was difficult for Tim to make Barlow's stuff his own. There are clearly going to be moments that sound inferior to the original. Although I wouldn't call it "forced", I can hear what Ascension is referring to on "A Charge to Keep". That said, Barlow f**king slays on "Setian Massacre" and "The Clouding".

As for Barlow sounding forced on the Pyramaze tracks... that's just plain crazy.

Zod

Barlow and Tim are two vocalists who are among the elite of the elite. Consequently, I suspect it's going to be as difficult for Barlow to make Tim's stuff his own, just as it was difficult for Tim to make Barlow's stuff his own. There are clearly going to be moments that sound inferior to the original. Although I wouldn't call it "forced", I can hear what Ascension is referring to on "A Charge to Keep". That said, Barlow f**king slays on "Setian Massacre" and "The Clouding".

As for Barlow sounding forced on the Pyramaze tracks... that's just plain crazy.

Zod

Which is why the missed opportunity is not keeping them both. This is no longer going to be a touring band, for the most part, and with Barlow and Ripper each doing other work, I truly believe would have been the best of both worlds for all involved.

Hmm...I am thinking quite opposite here....I like Barlows take on a Charge to Keep as I see this being written more for his vocal...a better fit than Rippers. Setien and Clouding...Barlow does nothing for me on those.

With that said.....thrilled to see this band with Barlow as I have not had the chance to in the past. Loved them live with Ripper and thrilled I got to see him perform the Gettysburg trilogy.

Will never cease to believe JS missed the boat by not keeping them both.

Actually, underwhelmed is what I feel about the I Walk Alone clip, but it's not really enough to get a feel for the song anyway...it gets interesting just as it fades away. I do like the way Matt sounds...the passion and ferocity is definitely there on all the new clips.

@Ascension...you're a patronizing little bastard aren't ya? :lol:

I like it! Not IE at its best, but I'm really happy Matt is back, and I think there's some potential there. As was said, maybe the fact that this stuff seems to have been written with Tim in mind had a bit to do with it. I'll have to hear more before I decide for sure how I feel about it, but it's not half bad really.

lol wow.... I don't mean to be a dick but you really come off as one who can't read all too well. I disagree with Ascension but it's his opinion and there is a difference between "forceful" and "forced".

I thought the samples were really awesome but obviously not enough because this is an epic concept album. In fact, I think the whole idea of putting out a "single" for an epic concept album is just a silly way for SPV to make some quick bank. I just want the full experience dammit!

Oh and @ the guy who complained about the production... dude are you crazy? Like or hate the new stuff all you want but the production is some of the best I've ever heard for any band. Period.

I liked FA musically but just didn't like Ripper's vocals on it. Personally, I thought the vocal melodies and phrasing were trailor made for Barlow and after hearing these sample I think I was correct. The FA stuff sounds much better to my ears with Barlow. Can't wait for the new stuff.

Oh and @ the guy who complained about the production... dude are you crazy? Like or hate the new stuff all you want but the production is some of the best I've ever heard for any band. Period.

What I was meaning about a "better/different" producer really has nothing to do with the sound or quality of the recording. It has more to do with getting more out of Iced Earth. Only my opinion but to my ears it may be great quality sounding music but it is stale and uninteresting. I think that a fresh set of ears would get much, much more out of Jon and it might also get Iced Earth sounding like a band again... not just Jon and whoever happens to be near.

I will give it a fair shake when it is fully released but I am thinking that it will do about the same for me as FA... not much... no matter who is singing on it. I am a huge fan of Barlow and Iced Earth but I will not buy something that I think could be much better.

Bottom line, the magic that was once there is gone. I compare this to a divorce. Not many people successfully re-marry who they divorced.

Ah, who knows. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

What I was meaning about a "better/different" producer really has nothing to do with the sound or quality of the recording. It has more to do with getting more out of Iced Earth. Only my opinion but to my ears it may be great quality sounding music but it is stale and uninteresting. I think that a fresh set of ears would get much, much more out of Jon and it might also get Iced Earth sounding like a band again... not just Jon and whoever happens to be near.
I couldn't agree more with this. Jon really needs to work with someone new.

Zod

I'll assume this is meant in satire and, as such, I shall lol.
Not joking at all. To Narcosynthesys68's point, Jon has been working with the same producer, Jim Morris, since the "Dark Saga" disc. Aside from the complaints many have about Jim's sound being "flat" (I personally disagree), many feel Jon needs a new producer; a fresh set of ears to help pull more out of Jon. Unfortunately, Jon views Jim in very much a "fifth Beatle" sort of way, so this is unlikely to happen.

Zod

I think there is a tremendous desire to view Iced Earth as a "band" rather than a glorified "solo project" of Jon's, which simply is not, nor is it likely to ever be, the case. Iced Earth revolves 100% around Jon Schaeffer and his writing, much as Stratovarius revolved around Timo Tolkki, and Yngwie revolves around, well, YNGWIE. I'm not saying this as criticism; all of the above have released some stellar material using this formula.

However.....

To one extent or another, all may have gotten stale as a result of the same formula.

Personally, I am not willing to write off Iced Earth one bit...... Yet. "Framing Armageddon" disappointed me, based on how high my expectations were for it. Unrealistically high, perhaps. Because of that, I anticipate less from the next chapter, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Stratovarius fell apart completely at the end, and only time will tell if Tolkki has anything left in the tank.

Yngwie showed a glimmer of hope with "Unleash the Fury", but certainly nowhere near where he was as recently as "Facing the Animal". We'll see what he concocts for Ripper to sing. Could be interesting, could be an unmitigated disaster.