Clips from new Iced Earth single streaming

pretty cool with the new track, but the re-recordings i'm a little less impressed with. probably because i like the originals and i don't have anything against either singer lol.

btw, did anyone notice that on the set of buttons that has "add friend," "send message," etc., it says "bloock" instead of "block"?

It is a shame he wasn't able to keep the "Horrow Show" line-up in tact. I thought Christy and DiGiorgio brought a lot to the band.

Zod

DiGiorgio didn't write a single thing (as far as the credits go) on Horrow show. Jon's played bass on plenty of his records, so I'm assuming that he writes all of the bass parts, and possibly even the drum sections. Other than the tone of the bass guitar, which is possibly even dictated by Jon, I really don't see how DiGiorgio could have influenced the writing or sound on the record.

It's just name recogintion - at the time, IE could say "hey, Steve DiGiorgio is our bass player," this getting their name out to more people in the metal community. Until he got the boot.

Same holds true for Richard Christy - I really don't know how much input he would have had in the writing and recording of the albums. I will admit that the drumming stands out more, but that could be the name factor as well. People pay more attention to the musical parts if they're paying attention to the name. Richard Christy draws more attention to that aspect than Mark Prator's name does.

pretty cool with the new track, but the re-recordings i'm a little less impressed with. probably because i like the originals and i don't have anything against either singer lol.

I have to agree with you, although out of the three re-recordings I like Setian Massacre the most. However I Walk Alone kicks all kinds of ass in my opinion. :worship: Barlow is most definitely back!

btw, did anyone notice that on the set of buttons that has "add friend," "send message," etc., it says "bloock" instead of "block"?

yes, I did. But then again I am a Virgo. :p

DiGiorgio didn't write a single thing (as far as the credits go) on Horrow show. Jon's played bass on plenty of his records, so I'm assuming that he writes all of the bass parts, and possibly even the drum sections. Other than the tone of the bass guitar, which is possibly even dictated by Jon, I really don't see how DiGiorgio could have influenced the writing or sound on the record.
I'm aware Jon claims DiGiorgio didn't write anything. Yet, the bass is quite different on that disc, and not just in tone, than other IE discs. Strange.

Same holds true for Richard Christy - I really don't know how much input he would have had in the writing and recording of the albums. I will admit that the drumming stands out more, but that could be the name factor as well. People pay more attention to the musical parts if they're paying attention to the name. Richard Christy draws more attention to that aspect than Mark Prator's name does.
I'm not sure where this idea comes from. I'm quite sure Jon says "I like this" and "I don't like that", but Jon isn't a drummer and I doubt he writes the drum lines. And I'm quite sure, if Jon wrote Richard's drum lines, we'd know all about it, especially after Richard bailed on their tour at the last moment.

Zod

Maybe you're right - those are just my thoughts on how I see the band. I figure Jon writes 99% of the music, including drums. He's a smart guy and can use a drum machine on the computer for basic patterns. Especially given Mark Prator's involvement playing studio drums on a few albums.

Personally, I think if the drummer in IE wrote their own drum parts, you'd have less furious double bass and more interesting parts. I'm listening to Horror Show now and can tell that the drumming is less "IE rapid double bass" patterns and more intricate. So I'll give you that.

I'm aware Jon claims DiGiorgio didn't write anything. Yet, the bass is quite different on that disc, and not just in tone, than other IE discs. Strange.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. I'm quite sure Jon says "I like this" and "I don't like that", but Jon isn't a drummer and I doubt he writes the drum lines. And I'm quite sure, if Jon wrote Richard's drum lines, we'd know all about it, especially after Richard bailed on their tour at the last moment.

Zod

As much as I love IE, if you listen to Christy on The Sound Of Perseverance and compare that to Horror Show or The Glorious Burden it is apparent that Schaffer had his say in terms of Christy's drumming.

What I find strange is that all of Jim Morris' projects sound like absolute dog poop but anytime Jon works with him it ends up sounding fucking incredible. By far the tightest sounding mix I have ever heard from a band.

Regardless, DiGiorgio and Christy represent the best rhythm section in metal. Whether or not they had a say in the IE albums they appeared on
doesn't mean that on a talent level IE wasn't an invincible, soul destroying monster. :D