Cloverfield

No Country For Old Men was fucking amazing, and that guy was the best monster seen on screen for a long time

That movie scared the shit out of me and then it was like bam! end! I still don't know what happened but my testicals are smaller because of it.

On a side note, I saw AVP 2 and it was also terrible. Probably the worst movie I've seen in a few years. Making a good AVP isn't hard. The golden rule is to give it to some scriptwriters and a director that DO NOT SUCK.

No. It is simply impossible to bring together two disparate franchises like Alien and Predator under the banner of the almighty dollar and produce something that does not suck.

Furthermore, neither of those films needed sequels to begin with, so what you have is a sequel to a gross concatenation of franchises that should have stayed standalone films. The weight of sin here is so heavy it ought to crush the producers of these films.

They can make it action adventure.

No Orphanages for Old Men: The Search for the Golden DVDEEEEE.

So I just watched the end of the film online. I didn't see anything fall into the ocean as people are claiming, granted it wasn't the best footage.

Oh but it did, it certainly did. But it leaves me wondering, if it had fallen from space, surely someone would have noticed a streak in the sky. Maybe it lived in the ocean all that time and was just coming up for a splishy splash like a dolphin? I dunno. But at any rate, if it were it's full size when it fell/splashed, someone would have had to have noticed. Maybe it was only an egg when it fell into the water? But then where would have it's parasites have come from? UGH.

The theory for the ending that I've seen the most is:

At the credits ending of Cloverfield, *spoilers* the audio from the video cam says, "Help us!".
But when played backwards, it says, "It's still alive!" This happens after the end credits
of Cloverfield. Assuming the speaker was Rob, he suggests Cloverfield (the monster)
is still alive. This also suggests a sequel for Cloverfield 2! *Spoilers*

The Japanese oil company TAGRUATO drops a satellite (Chimpanz III) into the ocean as part
of viral marketing (shown at the end of the movie when Rob and Beth were on the ferris wheel).
TAGRUATO works with SLUSHO (a slush company), as the main ingredient for SLUSHO is found
at the satellite dropzone (deep ocean). While searching for satellite and ingredients, they
woke Cloverfield (the monster).

People who were at the party in the beginning of the movie, were seen wearing SLUSHO shirts.
Rob apparently was going to be the Vice President of TAGRUATO in Japan.

The main ingredient of Slusho apparently turns a tiny fish into a HUGE whale, which explains
the size of Cloverfield. *Update* The main ingredient is a deep sea nectar.

For animals/fishes/insects to survive in the deepest ocean (very high boiling temperature),
they naturally have very high heat resistance. This explains how Cloverfield is able to
withstand numerous bombs and attacks from the army.

Cloverfield refers to the field formerly known as Central Park. Clovers are
usually prone to grow at places after bombing. Thus the term "Clover" and "field" referring to park.

Where did it's parasites come from then? Were they tiny sea insects that also grew from the "deep sea nectar"?

Well, whatever fell into the ocean, it can be seen in this video. First are the stills from second 39 and 40. That's where to watch.
falling2.jpg

falling1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems it's probably what woke up the beastie. I was reading that JJ Abrams says the monster was asleep under the water for thousands of years before that, so maybe it splashed down and hit him on the head. Also I read he claims the monster is just a little baby monster who's grumpy for being woken up and NEXT TIME IT'LL BE THE MOMMA.

edit: or maybe what splashed was the little buggies and they started chewing on him and woke him up.

Well, hopefully when momma wakes up, the movie will be written about momma and not just diverting momma to a subplot like form like they did with this monster.

I didn't follow all the online marketing whatnots before the movie, but I don't like how much neato stuff there was out there in background that was left out entirely, like the slusho drink being made from nectar farmed from the bottom of the ocean, or etc. Hopefully it's something like Slurm from Futurama and the goo actually comes from the sleeping monster's butt.

I'd drink that!

I think the best part of the movie is that the camera was operated by a man named Hud.

For those not in the know, Head-Up Display is a term for First Person Games where all the player information is displayed. Really made me laugh.