Cloverfield

I was just reading this: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41100 interview with the director, and thought this was interesting

"CS: Any possibilities for a "Cloverfield" sequel?

Reeves: This was so fun 'cause we'd never done anything like it, and I think we'd want to find a similar challenge, to find a way to have its roots in this but be fresh and new, otherwise you're just repeating yourself. There's a moment on the Brooklyn Bridge, and there was a guy filming something on the side of the bridge, and Hud sees him filming and he turns over and he sees the ship that's been capsized and sees the headless Statue of Liberty, and then he turns back and this guy's briefly filming him. In my mind that was two movies intersecting for a brief moment, and I thought there was something interesting in the idea that this incident happened and there are so many different points of view, and there are several different movies at least happening that evening and we just saw one piece of another. That idea sort of tickled me. We'll have to see if anyone would want a sequel. If the movie does well and we find a compelling reason to do so then it would be fun to do a sequel. "

It's an interesting concept which I hadn't thought of. Although the more they do this the more room there is for error in the sense of having to make sure any scenes that line up between the two sync in both, but then again they skipped a lot of time here and there so they could easily just make up whatever and not have to worry about it for the most part, but I bet it'll get crazily analyzed by movie geeks if they go that route!

And it seems so far the movie has down well enough to warrant backing more films, since it seems it made a record $46 million over the weekend , and it's budget was about half that.

I'd much rather see a continuation than a rehash from a different perspective though.

No. It is simply impossible to bring together two disparate franchises like Alien and Predator under the banner of the almighty dollar and produce something that does not suck.

Furthermore, neither of those films needed sequels to begin with, so what you have is a sequel to a gross concatenation of franchises that should have stayed standalone films. The weight of sin here is so heavy it ought to crush the producers of these films.

Nope. It's quite possible to make a good AVP movie. Predator was an excellent film and the sequel was quite terrible, but the Predator legacy/canon is easily available for development in other direction.

Alien is almost perfect, and Cameron's sequel was different but similarly brilliant. Arguably, Alien 3 has depths that take some time to fully explore.

The idea that a good AVP movie would be impossible to make is pretty far off the mark. You're conflating why they've made the two thus far ($!) with the making of any more. Just because these two have been scripted and directed by morons, fanboys and (quite probably) the illiterate doesn't mean the idea that a good AVP movie could be made is impossible.

Actually, AvP is very easily done. there are soooo many AvP books out there with strong characters and a good plot it would seem like a no brainer.
But, Hollywood is doing what they do with many sequels, churn out something ASAP, get some no name directors ( or at least lower shelf ones ), bring as many people in that first weekend as they can. Once word of mouth spreads the movie will quickly die but by that time they made enough ( hopefully ) to cover their cost.
Blah, don't even want to talk about it anymore.

Nope. It's quite possible to make a good AVP movie. Predator was an excellent film and the sequel was quite terrible, but the Predator legacy/canon is easily available for development in other direction.

Alien is almost perfect, and Cameron's sequel was different but similarly brilliant. Arguably, Alien 3 has depths that take some time to fully explore.

The idea that a good AVP movie would be impossible to make is pretty far off the mark. You're conflating why they've made the two thus far ($!) with the making of any more. Just because these two have been scripted and directed by morons, fanboys and (quite probably) the illiterate doesn't mean the idea that a good AVP movie could be made is impossible.

Actually, AvP is very easily done. there are soooo many AvP books out there with strong characters and a good plot it would seem like a no brainer.
But, Hollywood is doing what they do with many sequels, churn out something ASAP, get some no name directors ( or at least lower shelf ones ), bring as many people in that first weekend as they can. Once word of mouth spreads the movie will quickly die but by that time they made enough ( hopefully ) to cover their cost.
Blah, don't even want to talk about it anymore.

Have to disagree again. AvP was terrible in all its forms, including the comics. I just don't see any way to make that combo work.

Man, I was so hoping Danny Glover would pop up at some point during the new AVP to injure all the other humans, leaving them as prey to play with, saying some cool one-liners then taking off to the choppa. But apparently he's not even doing another Lethal Weapon; seemingly he really is too old for that shit. :(

So should I see Cloverfield?

i suggest seeing cloverfield drunk, it will numb you to the effects of the camera.

on a side note, i thought it was fucking great. made to be as realistic as possible and ended great, even though they give away the ending in the TRAILERS.

I saw Cloverfield tonight and thought it was good. The shaky camera was annoying, but I think it worked very well. If they had a normal camera covering everything, it would have seemed too much like every other monster/disaster movie. Had I gone in expecting normal camera use, I would have been upset. But since everything in the trailers was camcorder-style, I didn't expect anything different.

I saw this and really liked it. I thought it was far better than my expectations. I just really wanted to see it before all of the spoilers ruined it and the monster.

I can't wait for this on DVD. It better be on BD too. The sound in it was spectacular.