COB Interviews

I will now post my Thanks just for the funniness of this being the 10th straight post thanking someone in advance for translating some review.

Hey, this is my first post so if I mess something up I'll just blame it on my lack of forum knowledge.

Found this interview in my revolver mag. Don't have a scanner at the moment so I'll just write it out.

Has some info on the new album.

IN THE STUDIO - WRATH WITHIN
--Gary Graff

Alexi Laiho, frontman of Children of Bodom, is hanging out at a hotel in Van Nuys, CA, "just writing lyrics and drinking beer" --both of which he'll probablyy take with him to a nearby studio, where he and producer Matt Hyde are wrapping up the Finnish melodic extreme-metal quintet's seventh, as-yet-untitled album and follow up to 2008's Blooddrunk.

This record was a mojor hit for Bodom, and Laiho wants this one to top its prodecessor and continue his band's streak of three consecutive #1 albums in its homeland. Rather than overthink how they could achieve success, Laiho says he and his bandmates just dove in headfirst. "We never sit down and talk about what we should do or what we should sound like or what people want from us," he says. "Everything's very spontaneous, and that's just how we roll. I like it that way."

But just because they work spontaneously doent mean that they work quickly. The Bodom boys started writing the new album in ear;y 2009 and dont plan to have it out until Feburary or March 2011. The group and Hyde entered Petrax Studios in Hollola, Finland in July, and eventually Hyde and Laiho decided to finish up vocals and lead guitar work in CA.

Working with an American producer was a change for Bodom, but Laiho is happy with the move. "Our management was pushing the idea, so eventually it was, All right, fuck it. Just shut them up, let's do it. We liked the way [Hyde] talked about music and the way he was already so fucking committed. he wanted to do the best fucking COB album ever and was pretty serious and convincing about that. After five minutes of talking to the dude, we knew he was the guy."

Laiho is circumspect about what the album will sound like but offers that "it's maybe a little more melodic than blooddrunk was. It's maybe more guitar-riff oriented, really 80's guitar and stuff like that." The group, he says, has worked up nine originals and one cover song that he says "is gonna be fucking funny as shit. i dont think it's something anybody would want to cover--not a metal band anyway."

Original tracks include "Pussyfoot Miss Suicide" which grew from "a bunch of gnarly guitar shit, cool riffs, but then we mixed it up with my supposedly evil black-metal vocals and stuff like that, and it turned out to be really cool." The lyrics to that one came to him while recovering from a hangover. "Ive been involved with stupid chicks who were trying to get attention by being , 'Oh, Im so fucking depressed. Im gonna slit my wrists with a cheese gratter..." Laiho says. "And it gets so fucking boring, like, 'Just let it go. You're not really gonna do it anyway'. It's kind of harsh, but it's fucking black humour.

Another song, "Ugly", is "really just venting and screaming stupid stuff. Nobody should expect anything deep and poetic and sensative and intelligent y'know?"

Laiho and co. are itching for fans to hear the new songs, but the group will restrain itself from previewing any during its fall tour with BLS. "Sadly, it doesnt make sense anymore to do stuff like that", he explains. "I would love to play one of the new songs live, but there's always some bluetooth jerkoff with an Iphone that films shit and it goes straight to youtube. When you play that stuff live and peple are gonna hear it for the 1st time, its gonna sound like shit no matter what, and poeple will get the wrong picture of what the album's gonna sound like. So everybody will just have to wait, and hopefully it'll be worth it."

Pussyfoot and Miss and Ugly and Are You Dead Yet pt.2 don't belong in COB's tracklist. They need to hire some artist for this kind of stuff.

Cut it off Joonas, it's not like Done With Everythin, Die For Nothing or Lil' Bloodred Ridin Hood or Bed Of Razors are any better. It's just that every thing that comes new everybody seems to hate it. If Bed Of Razors was released today as song title, you'd all be yapping about how emo and shit it is, but it happens to be a great song so nothing happens, same with the others. I suggest you just calm down on that until you hear the song. At least they're creative. Not with Ugly anyways, but still.

Bed Of Razors is one of COB's most genious creations. I can't understand how you picked that (and LBRH) as examples of bad COB song titles.

Yeah, let's just wait and see. My interest keeps growing.

It's just that every thing that comes new everybody seems to hate it. If Bed Of Razors was released today as song title, you'd all be yapping about how emo and shit it is, but it happens to be a great song so nothing happens, same with the others

Have to agree with this, "sounds emo" would probably be the response if Bed of Razors was released now.
I dont really want to judge the songtitles. They are what they are, doesnt mean the songs wouldnt be great. What comes to Ugly, it might not be that creative but I sense a kick ass- song :p

Well I'm not so sure about all ''t'he' marks on LBRH but otherwise they're what COB is supposed to be in my mind. Besides why are razors always associated with emo wrist slitting? I think Bed Of Razors has something to do with the Bodom murder night and is an essential song in the band's cataloque. (Edit: No, it was dedicated to Kimberly.) Or what, they're not being taken serious? I wonder why that is, with all the midgets and flamingos and shit.

Hi my name is Alexi, aaand I'm an alcoholic :D Did that also come 'spontaneously'. He should chill down a bit and give more in-depth answers. I guess that depends how trustful the interviewer seems. Replies are as good as questions to an extent.