COB Interviews

Who are you to say this? Back in the day they said Punch Me will be one of the songs they'll play again. There's nothing wrong about Mask of Sanity except for Alexi not doing the effort in vocals and them cutting away the entire middle section due to hard solos and then moving back to the last chorus. Why shouldn't they play COD, it's one of the songs that drives the crowd excited? Why shouldn't they play Chokehold? You had nothing to say really. I know they'll never play Punch Me cos that song missed the train and supposedly it's not one of those tracks that drives the teens crazy.
I'm Mutran.
In your post there's only hope for those songs but if you have a bit of common sense you'll know that they're not coming back.
Punch Me died few years ago.
Mask of Sanity the same, even Alexi didn't like it at all.
COD doesn't excite the crowd, Alexi said that this song doesn't work live.
Chokehold is the only who can reappear cos it's really good live and has survived a lot of years, but then again, their setlist can change in 2013.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're wrong, maybe both we're wrong BUT you can sometimes open your mind to new opinions from the rest of us.
Anyway... say what you want XD

That was a little bit incoherent, don't you think? First you state that these songs won't come back like it was a fact, and just a post later you tell him that you could be wrong as well but he should accept other opinions... well, same right for his opinion to be accepted by others, don't you think? Even more since they played Mask Of Sanity during one of the last US/Canadian tours and COD as a medley during one of the last European ones. Why shouldn't these come back once more???

Btw totally agree with Joonas' DVD opinion, not with all the song choices, but with everything else.

It's like puking out the same stuff over and again with tired eyes, but it's true. Really it's all about taking the art seriously and not goofing around. Dramatize it and be creative and serious, use lighting and recorded effects as passages instead of speeches. The plague that started damning this band was when they started "not taking metal too seriously", it's just my honest opinion. There's some great momentum and feel going on in the songs and some recent passages and intros. What fans love about this music is when it's serious like metal is supposed to be and teeming with brilliant melodies and menacing riffs.

It's like puking out the same stuff over and again with tired eyes, but it's true. Really it's all about taking the art seriously and not goofing around. Dramatize it and be creative and serious, use lighting and recorded effects as passages instead of speeches. The plague that started damning this band was when they started "not taking metal too seriously", it's just my honest opinion. There's some great momentum and feel going on in the songs and some recent passages and intros. What fans love about this music is when it's serious like metal is supposed to be and teeming with brilliant melodies and menacing riffs.

Don't you think RRF is serious? The cover songs obviously weren't (and they're not even supposed to be that serious) but I think all COB albums are.

Glad to see him again and doing this.
So, rehearsals start next week, album early next year and all that about his mate.

Hope that there's energy and illusion doing this new COB album.
Surely Nuclear Blast do something new in their style (maybe not musically but in others aspects they can improve the actual situation).

Glad to see him again and doing this.
So, rehearsals start next week, album early next year and all that about his mate.

Hope that there's energy and illusion doing this new COB album.
Surely Nuclear Blast do something new in their style (maybe not musically but in others aspects they can improve the actual situation).

We'll see how much the record labels have power in steering the music where they want it to go. We know that Spinefarm wanted COB to do a commercial song for RRF (WIWI), and I'm fairly sure it won't happen with NB. I actually hope that everything since FTR/HCDR has been influenced at least a little by the label wanting to increase sales. If it is so, then Alexi would most probably be free to do melodic stuff again without thinking about sales, but unfortunately it's probably not the record label that changed the music.

Hoping for a more melodic and atmospheric album for next year. Melodies are great and although I might have a different vision of what's atmosphere than some people, I still wish they'd make albums which would be more like HB/FTR. If they don't want to make it super melodic, then make it super evil/spooky. Preferably both. In my opinion an evil atmosphere is the strongest atmosphere possible to make by music. A good example is "Dimmu Borgir - Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" (One of the two song I like by them)

metalunderground interview with Janne from March this year. Don't think it's been posted here before

http://www.metalunderground.com/interviews/details.cfm?newsid=78174

Finnish Keyboardist Addresses Detractors: "Children Of Bodom Is Not A Religion; It's Our F**king Job."

Meet Janne Wirman, virtuoso metal keyboardist; leader of Warmen, former collaborator with Masterplan and Kotipelto, and full-time melody man for Finnish heavyweights Children Of Bodom. As 2012 dawned, so too did the band's 15th anniversary, which - despite last year's acclaimed "Relentless Reckless Forever" - prompted a retrospective live setlist on a sweeping tour across North America, leaving no stone in the catalogue unturned. Thus it seemed only appropriate for Janne, near the tour's end in Montreal, Quebec, to reflect a bit on the past with me prior to the performance. Here's how it went down:

Mike Smith (OverkillExposure): This is a year between albums, as it were, focused exclusively on touring. Has any future music been envisioned or even written during this time?

Janne Wirman: Well, we don’t write on the road, and nothing is written yet, but we have plans to start writing right after this touring leg is over. After this, we go home for a little bit, and then we do a festival run in Europe, and straight after that, we’re gonna start writing new music.

Mike: How does a Children Of Bodom song come together? Is it a keyboard line, or a riff, or something else that comes first?

Janne: It all depends. [Frontman Alexi Laiho] writes at home with his guitar and his four-track, weird ass device. [Laughs] And it could sometimes be a keyboard line that comes up, though usually on his guitar. And then he just brings these ideas to the rehearsal room and we play them all together, and start arranging the song. Sometimes he might have just a couple riffs, and we start arranging it from there. Sometimes he might actually have the whole song already in his head, with all the keyboard parts and everything, so it actually varies a lot.

Mike: Over the years, do you feel that that dynamic has changed or evolved at all?

Janne: Yeah. The rest of the band nowadays is way more active in the songwriting process. It used to be, Alexi would just write everything by himself, and we’d just kind of follow that. But now, the whole band is way more active in arranging stuff.

Mike: I read a review of the latest album that described you as the band’s “secret weapon.” How do you assess such a characterization?

Janne: Well, a lot of metal bands don’t have keyboards at all, and that’s what adds to CoB, is that we have the presence of keyboards all the time. Well, not all the time, but on all the riffs. I guess that’s what people mean. Also, on the earlier albums, we had all these weird ass neoclassical things going on that we don’t do anymore nowadays. Some fans miss it, but we don’t at all! [Laughs] So the overall sound, as the band’s style has gotten a little bit more aggressive, has changed so that the use of keyboards is not really as flamboyant or right in your face. We evolved into a little bit more straight heavy metal, aggressive stuff, and we’ve developed the keyboards to be in there, but more in the background, just helping out with the riff. Or maybe sometimes there’s a melody on top, like with the old stuff, but yeah.

Mike: You mentioned fans missing the sound of your earlier albums. It seems “Blooddrunk” [2008] was the first major leap into more aggressive, straightforward metal territory. Viewed in that way, did you perhaps consider the latest album – by comparison – an olive branch for those fans?

Janne: I think “Relentless” IS a step back to some of our older stuff. “Blooddrunk” was just how we felt at the moment, and it was also at the peak of the band’s alcohol problems and all that. Then all of a sudden we turned thirty and everybody kind of mellowed down a little bit, which is good, ‘cause somebody was gonna die, [Laughs] if we’d kept on drinking and partying like we did. So “Blooddrunk” was what we were at that moment, ‘cause we were feeling aggressive, and in a weird place. And now, “Relentless” continues the aggressive style, but there are way more melodies on the songs again, which is similar to the old stuff.

Mike: How bad did those alcohol problems get on a personal level?

Janne: It was pretty bad. It was public news that Alexi had to be hospitalized for a moment, ‘cause his body was just not in good shape anymore, ‘cause of all the drinking. And that’s when I realized that drinking daily, as much as we did, is really not very good for you. [Laughs] Not in the long term. So it was obvious that something had to happen for us to realize that we could just not keep drinking that much. It was just getting to be a little too much.

Mike: Obviously a good thing for your minds and bodies, but did you ever worry that toning it down would hurt the “happy, partying” spirit the band’s music seems to project?

Janne: No, I’m not worried about that at all. I mean, we still party and have a lot of fun. We just try to keep things in moderation. [Laughs]

Mike: I’m reminded of your cover of “Somebody Put Something In My Drink,” [Ramones] which leads me to thinking of all the covers you’ve done over the years. You could make an entire second living as a rock and roll cover band! Why so many? What’s made you pick certain songs?

Janne: Well, we’ve done them over the years, always, with every release. But we started doing it ‘cause we were asked to do these tributes to bands. So we did Slayer, Iron Maiden, and Scorpions, and that’s how we got the idea of how much fun it is to do covers. Just pick out a song and turn it into a CoB version! Sometimes it works, great, and sometimes not. [Laughs] But still, we always had so much fun doing those. And then we started doing the less obvious ones, and then we went straight to shocking people, like, “Hey, let’s do something where people are gonna go, ‘What the fuck?’” And nowadays, we just try to keep it interesting. We try to do covers of songs that people would never think we’d do. We’ve done pretty much everything, from Slayer to Britney Spears. [Laughs]

Mike: Speaking of that last example, there seemed to be a lot of stuck-up purist metalheads who couldn’t take a joke. Do you ever deal with people like that on the road?

Janne: Not on the road, but I remember reading on the Internet stuff like, “Fuck! I’m gonna burn all my CoB shirts and CDs!” I’m like, “Ok, it’s a joke, man. If you’re that fucking stuck up, PLEASE DO burn all of our CDs and shirts, ‘cause I don’t give a fuck, personally!” [Laughs] We have fun doing those covers, and Britney Spears is all part of that. So if you’re THAT fucking “metal,” that you can’t take the joke as it is… I mean, nobody was serious with that; it was just fun! It’s not like we were trying to get on the radio or sell out; we knew only a small group of fans would ever hear it. But I was reading a lot on the Internet, “Fuck these guys,” and all that, and I’m like, “Ok, fuck you too!” If you don’t get it, then just don’t bother.

Mike: I know a person who last year, when “Relentless” was released, claimed to have deleted all your music from his computer. I asked him why, and he replied, “Because they market themselves like whores.” Have you ever gotten frustrated at that type of reaction to Children Of Bodom’s growing success recently?

Janne: [Laughs] No. I don’t give a fuck! It’s our job; we do our music as we see fit. And a part of our job is touring a lot in the States nowadays, which is great for us. And if people don’t understand that, then I don’t give a fuck. Please delete all CoB music from your computer – I don’t give a fuck! [Laughs] It’s our JOB. It’s not a religion; it’s our fucking job. We need to do it how we do it, whether that involves touring, interviews, marketing, or whatever bullshit. That’s what it is.

Mike: As a headlining act these days, are you seizing the opportunity to resurrect more older songs from your catalogue?

Janne: We actually did change the setlist for this tour, since it’s a 15th anniversary tour thingy. When we started, we got some criticism that there weren’t enough “old” songs on the setlist. So midway through, we did put three or four more of those songs in there. I hope people are happy with it now. Before, we were still kind of in the mentality of the “Relentless” cycle, but then as the tour was marketed as our 15th anniversary, people were expecting more of the older stuff. We didn’t fully realize that at first, but then we did, and we’ve changed it. Judging by the crowds, I think people have liked it!

Mike: Have you considered including “In The Shadows” off “Something Wild?” [1997] That keyboard outro is the best!

Janne: Oh, I know. That’s actually a song we’ve never played live, ever. It’s weird!

Mike: It’s been four years since I’ve seen Children Of Bodom live, and I’ve never seen you headline. Have you incorporated anything new or special into your stage setup for this tour?

Janne: It’s always tight when you’re opening. There are all these limitations to your show, with the production and stage, and stuff like that. And tonight we have a big stage, we have our own production, we have lights, and all that stuff, so it should be good compared to the experience you’ve had. Headlining is different! I mean, it’s great to do those tours where you open up for bigger bands, ‘cause you get to reach new crowds and stuff, but this is different, ‘cause the whole thing is YOUR show.

Mike: Time really flies, and it feels like a blink of an eye since you were one of those openers, a newcomer tagging along with the bigger, major bands. Now, Children Of Bodom IS one of those bands. Of the bands that have filled your younger shoes, have any really stood out for you as a listener?

Janne: I’ve gotta be real honest, I’ve been real lazy checking out new music lately. [Laughs] I just can’t wait to go home and relax a little bit; we’ve been touring a lot. But there was this new Finnish band we had on tour, Medeia. They were really tight live, which is always good. [Laughs]

Mike: How about your other projects? What’s the latest on Warmen?

Janne: When I go home from this tour, I’m supposed to finish an album we started recording when I left on… some tour. [Laughs] So many already. Anyway, we did drums, and my brother Antti’s been doing guitars while I’m on the road. Then I go home and we’ll try to get all the singers together and finish that. So yeah, I have a Warmen album that I’m working on right now! It should come out this year, probably toward the end of the year.

"Also, on the earlier albums, we had all these weird ass neoclassical things going on that we don’t do anymore nowadays. Some fans miss it, but we don’t at all! [Laughs]"

Here we go again. Once again. It's never been the neo-classical things old fans miss. Who cares about the neo-classical riffs, people only use the term cos they think it means "atmosphere". I for one don't care about having Bethoven melodies in there. It's the atmosphere, genious melodies and aggression and creativity that we miss.

I know a person who last year, when “Relentless” was released, claimed to have deleted all your music from his computer. I asked him why, and he replied, “Because they market themselves like whores.”

:lol: I kinda agree, Was It Worth It and the midgets didn't appeal to me too much. It's not that I'm too fucking serious heavy metal person, it's just I know true art is created with very delicate vision, if you only do it 90% it loses the sharp edge that makes it good art. But I do realize their management was to blame for the shit marketing. I'm glad and hopeful about the switch back to Nuclear Blast.

Also this is interesting how RRF has been marketed like Nickleback, you always have either the WIWI chorus, the cool parts from Roundtrip or the only complete song SKO representing the album in samples in the adverts. COB is not supposed to sell albums because there's one catchy part in one song. I'm not exactly complaining here, I'm just explaining to Janne where all this "bullshit" hails from. My opinion is there isn't as much greatness on RRF as on older albums, but why not use Cry of the Nihilist intro sometimes or Ugly guitar solo or whatever. There's just something about Spinefarm management's way of handling this shit that I never agreed with. However, the only thing that matters to me is they did indeed use the best sections in adverts, but the album isn't as good overall, it's got its moments but otherwise... I would like some more tasty melodic death metal.

"No. I don’t give a fuck! It’s our job; we do our music as we see fit. And a part of our job is touring a lot in the States nowadays, which is great for us. And if people don’t understand that, then I don’t give a fuck. Please delete all CoB music from your computer – I don’t give a fuck! [Laughs] It’s our JOB. It’s not a religion; it’s our fucking job."

Maybe they are being honest to themselves still anyway, nobody knows really, but this is like saying between the lines they changed the music because they went to US. But I believe sometimes staying real honest to the art no matter how it strays from mainstream may sometimes end up striking in people and create a cult. That's why even COB is so big these days, because of the older albums, and because of HCDR + AYDY which brought a new wave of fans; I don't think Blooddrunk or RRF added to that. Also what I think is it's not the 'melodies' that made Hatebreeder & Follow the Reaper the albums they are, it was just overall geniousity you could sense everywhere. There were parts with no melodies that were more atmospheric than the melodies of RRF.

Pretty much to sum up all I've ever said, I think COB should make atmosphere in the music more important than technicality, I think technicality should only be the tool to make the real art which is the creative melodies and riffs.

I don't know why you people have been going on these long, pointless rants for the better part of fucking 6 YEARS. They're not going to go back to their old sound and people are going to care less about them with each album they release because they're all too fucking stupid to realize what it is that even got them where they are in the first place. It's really pathetic sitting here watching you guys shitstorm and be all on their dick about going back to the old stuff when the chances of it happening are non-existent. With each post you 'tards make you're not accomplishing anything except beating a dead horse. Just fucking stop, ffs. Bodom sucks now, and are too americanized and fascinated with shitty metalcore to put out an album that is even remotely similar to their old stuff.

There are better bands out there, and (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) even better than their old shit (YES, IT'S TRUE) which while good doesn't deserve the levels you guys go to over it.

/rant.

I don't know why you people have been going on these long, pointless rants for the better part of fucking 6 YEARS. They're not going to go back to their old sound and people are going to care less about them with each album they release because they're all too fucking stupid to realize what it is that even got them where they are in the first place. It's really pathetic sitting here watching you guys shitstorm and be all on their dick about going back to the old stuff when the chances of it happening are non-existent. With each post you 'tards make you're not accomplishing anything except beating a dead horse. Just fucking stop, ffs. Bodom sucks now, and are too americanized and fascinated with shitty metalcore to put out an album that is even remotely similar to their old stuff.

True. Everytime Alexi takes the music seriously on stage during presentation, takes the vocals seriously, and the band invests in stage effects and recorded samples as song intros to add to the feeling, it's so much better. What they should realize is to make a melodic death metal album with loads of atmosphere and aggression, and take the music very seriously, never joke about it, it would deliver a great impact compared to the last albums. Basically what needs to happen is songs with more feeling, atmosphere, aggression, artwork in the vein of the old albums to describe the feeling of the music, and much more effort on the vocals. You can never go wrong by making the greatest of effort in the vocals/lyrics arrangements, as long as it's possible to pull out live as well.

Sometimes I do feel empty spewing all these ideas and never receiving anything solid in return. The band is probably not even reading this, instead they take ideas from some random drunk guys they meet on tour... And yes, you don't have to be too damn serious, but the thing is you should take the art very serious, but still maintain a relaxed attitude. I would love to see the passion again, to feel they're not going to stop the COB legacy here but give everything they've got to make another great album in this musical and artistic idea that was invented almost two decades ago.

They should listen to lots of good, aggressive, atmospheric death metal, doom metal and melodic metal guitar material, and Alexi should take singing classes to find the voice of his youth again.

There are better bands out there, and (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) even better than their old shit (YES, IT'S TRUE) which while good doesn't deserve the levels you guys go to over it.

Please name them.

Give me a genre or style to go by. I could recommend you a ton of stuff I personally tend to find good that just may not be for you. Within the melodeath context everything has already been done and the genre as a whole is extremely generic, i.e: midrange growls for vocals, big harmonized guitar lines, keyboard bits, and gallopy power chord progressions. Once you explore alot of the bands you'll realize how dull it is. Some examples of decent melodeath bands are Kalmah, Wintersun, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Insomnium, Mors Principium Est, and Norther. As far as really good ones go it's hard to find them now days just because the genre is kind of limited because of the sound and structure used.

If you're interested in breaking out of that box though I have a ton of bands I could list you but I'm not even going to begin to do it you're firmly intent on staying within the melodeath/power metal genre lol. Bands like that aren't too hard to find, just go on Youtube or last.fm and go through the related stuff lol.

Oh, and I can guarantee you that the band doesn't read this shit, save maybe for Janne who will once in a blue moon sign on browse through stuff but he doesn't seem to do that anymore. The problem is the band has been patted on the back for so long about the new albums by the headband wearing Nikki Sixx look alikes out in places like Los Angeles that the band has truly began to think that the music they're making is good. They honestly have an ego about them that they are now the shit because all of these big name people out here in America know who they are, and when it's people that have worked with huge bands, Alexi and the rest of Bodom will take their opinion very serious although they don't realize what is being done to them is what Bob Rock did to Metallica. Back in the early days if you could find interviews with Alexi he would say his influences included stuff like Yngwie, Death, and a list of other death metal bands, glam bands, and shredders. Now days he'll go down the cliche route of saying stuff like "Yeah man, Metallica and Pantera and Zakk Wylde". It's ridiculous how little the band realizes they're humiliating themselves, especially Aleixi with his fucking baggy pants, little housewife bandanas, and the fact that he wears his guitar down to his fucking knees now.

Give me a genre or style to go by. I could recommend you a ton of stuff I personally tend to find good that just may not be for you. Within the melodeath context everything has already been done and the genre as a whole is extremely generic, i.e: midrange growls for vocals, big harmonized guitar lines, keyboard bits, and gallopy power chord progressions. Once you explore alot of the bands you'll realize how dull it is. Some examples of decent melodeath bands are Kalmah, Wintersun, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Insomnium, Mors Principium Est, and Norther. As far as really good ones go it's hard to find them now days just because the genre is kind of limited because of the sound and structure used.

If you're interested in breaking out of that box though I have a ton of bands I could list you but I'm not even going to begin to do it you're firmly intent on staying within the melodeath/power metal genre lol. Bands like that aren't too hard to find, just go on Youtube or last.fm and go through the related stuff lol.

I do listen to a lot of bands and a lot of music that isn't even metal. Every once in a while I find something that sounds good. But there's not many artists that are consistently good like Bodom, In Flames etc. Even Hypocrisy that's made some of the finest melodic death metal, condescends to writing absolute shitass songs in the midst of albums. Kalmah have some good material but they're very inconsistent. I love the recipe Bodom had back in the day with those youthful death vocals, primitive rage, epic melodies and even some atmosphere, it just sounds fresh. Think of the song Warheart for example, I think that's the benchmark of Bodom's style in terms of sound and vocals. I listen to a lot of atmospheric doom metal as well. I want extreme emotion and extreme evil to be present in the metal, it just sounds otherworldly and energetic. I just try searching sometimes and maybe find something good here and something good there, but I'm quite sure there isn't another Children Of Bodom hiding anywhere... yet it's possible to make new finds.

Oh, and I can guarantee you that the band doesn't read this shit, save maybe for Janne who will once in a blue moon sign on browse through stuff but he doesn't seem to do that anymore. The problem is the band has been patted on the back for so long about the new albums by the headband wearing Nikki Sixx look alikes out in places like Los Angeles that the band has truly began to think that the music they're making is good. They honestly have an ego about them that they are now the shit because all of these big name people out here in America know who they are, and when it's people that have worked with huge bands, Alexi and the rest of Bodom will take their opinion very serious although they don't realize what is being done to them is what Bob Rock did to Metallica. Back in the early days if you could find interviews with Alexi he would say his influences included stuff like Yngwie, Death, and a list of other death metal bands, glam bands, and shredders. Now days he'll go down the cliche route of saying stuff like "Yeah man, Metallica and Pantera and Zakk Wylde". It's ridiculous how little the band realizes they're humiliating themselves, especially Aleixi with his fucking baggy pants, little housewife bandanas, and the fact that he wears his guitar down to his fucking knees now.

This is very much true. :lol: I think Alexi's style is cool and all that, everybody gotta have their style, but it's unfortunate Alexi and the rest of the band is brainwashed by American morons. Whatever the reason is, with the last album they used about 14% of the potential COB has for making a great album. The situation is quite clearly: the musical technicality is there, but the creativity is mostly abscent. Technicality should only be a tool to produce a creative idea, feelingful melody, etc. A lot of the album feels like they're purposefully trying to make fans shout what the fuck is this. There's like completely retarded sections in songs, and in general it's just boring and lacking atmosphere, and the sound is American. All those technical solos and everything, and they sound like nothing because there's no melodic idea, no interesting rhythm and no feeling. This is a generalization of course, there are nice pieces on the album as well, but sometimes a technically simple composion (a riff or whatever) serves better than a riff that's boring just cos it has to be technical...

Of course, you don't just translate aggression, atmosphere, melodicy and things like that onto proper COB songs, when the songwriting is essential. But I think creativity should come before the technical riffing. Maybe change the songwriting method a bit, I don't know... maybe it gets screwed these days cos Alexi lets the other memembers have input in the songs, he doesn't come with full ideas into the rehearsal room anymore, I've read. Maybe that's when it starts sounding technical and all-around-the-place when one man isn't ejaculating a feelingful musical idea down on paper. I think I can clearly sense the additional input of other members on RRF. I just think the feeling of songs should be stressed more than worrying about technicality.

They must be thinking who is this little shit who never composed anything, but I'm just giving the sincere opinions. :D And the band needs to understand, when a fan meets them for the first time in his life, he's only going to say the good things. And if I was Bodom's management, I'd tell them to read some of the posts on this forum, but to not comment... which is probably what they're doing.

I have barely listened to the new album enough to judge lol. Everytime I hear a song off of it I get bored and put something else on lol... I can't even begin to care what they do now days. They were a great band once, but that hasn't been the case since atleast 2004 or so. I saw them last year and hearing the old stuff live was great and they played really well, but that doesn't mean I support their new atmosphere in the slightest. If anything I went to their show more for Devin Townsend and Obscura lol.

On the Kalmah bit, I feel their more consistent than Bodom is, or In Flames definitely. Kalmah's newest album is amazing and I can't say anything they've ever released has been a disappointment to me. In Flames on the other hand used to be one of my favorite bands but they've gone so far down hill I can't even barely tolerate the thought of them now. They don't even have any of the original members left now that Jesper is gone :l They'd might as well just change their name. The Jester Race and Whoracle will always be my favorite albums by them as far as sound goes and I wish that they'd return to that but they've also gone off the deepend with their influences :/

Back to the music recommendations bit, give bands like Lykathea Aflame a try. Heavy as hell and very melodic. Not melodeath really per se, but still. Like I said though, melodeath is a bit stale to me by now.

Other good bands I would recommend are Spawn of Possession, Gorguts, Demisery, Immolation, Necrophagist (Hopefully you've caught onto them by now lol), Origin, Decapitated, First Fragment, Cynic, or even more old school shit like Carcass and At the Gates.

As much as I love metal though I'm a sucker for post-rock now days. Alot of elitist's hate it but people often forget that how good a band is shouldn't be measured by how fast or technical they play. It's all about good songwriting in the end and bands like Collapse Under the Empire and Agalloch pull that off perfectly in my opinion.

The same thing that happened to COB happened to many other bands. one of bands that I used to worship (and still do worship their old stuff) is called GRAVEWORM... they were as atmospheric and even more atmospheric than COB..but look at them now... but what shocks me is that this band has not really broken into mainstream or they never really commercialized but the big question is that what happened?

this song is a sacred song...dark mistress of the forest comes dancing in the shadows...I mean it

Last edited by a moderator:
The same thing that happened to COB happened to many other bands. one of bands that I used to worship (and still do worship their old stuff) is called GRAVEWORM... they were as atmospheric and even more atmospheric than COB..but look at them now... but what shocks me is that this band has not really broken into mainstream or they never really commercialized but the big question is that what happened?

this song is a sacred song...dark mistress of the forest comes dancing in the shadows...I mean it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF7E-_I4Sik

Oh, yep. Something happened to them, too. They were DIVINE! Now they are just a badass metal band. THIS song equals Heaven to me! And just listen at the lyrics of that one:

Good times, good times. Bands change- sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. We cannot do anything, but..

However, enough off- topic. Nice interview, random-x! Every single time I read Alexi saying, that he doesn't want to discuss about that Oslo action I am like "WTF!!!" XD Of course, he has the rights to keep silent..

And AGAIN we have the Bodom- name question :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: