COB Interviews

They have to include All Twisted and some fourth new song, whether it be Scream for Silence or some other. I suggest these two as addition. They were talking about playing Dead Man's Hand, but honestly the chorus isn't good enough; I love some elements in the song, but it just doesn't cut its way to the diamonds list, just like Roundtrip was great in a couple areas but lacking in chorus etc. Any song bails out of the setlist easy now, because there's just too many good songs, even on the new album. All Twisted has the great chorus, makes me go goosebumps. Bodom Blue Moon deserves a live shot at least. The best tracks on this album are Halo of Blood and Transference, then there's many good candidates for live display even if there's already no room on the setlist.
Please, don't dare to compare Dead Man's with Roundtrip.
Dead Man's >>>>>> Roundtrip.

Please, don't dare to compare Dead Man's with Roundtrip.
Dead Man's >>>>>> Roundtrip.

Dead Man's is overall a little bit better song than Roundtrip, but I have to agree with Joonas about the chorus. I think it feels like a drag and doesn't add anything noteworthy to the song. Also, it's by far the worst chorus when it comes to slower CoB songs. That's of course just my opinion but that song could've been a lot more if it had a better chorus.

Yes, yes, the chorus is the worst part of Dead Man's but it has some very atmospheric and gold moments, to me Roundtrip has only that great keys on the verses and nothing more.

I don't even check the interviews anymore. It's just comical beyond belief how all the interviewers blatantly copy the questions done by others and Alexi gives exactly the same answers. At least 100 interviews have been that way. It drives me out of my mind.

I don't even check the interviews anymore. It's just comical beyond belief how all the interviewers blatantly copy the questions done by others and Alexi gives exactly the same answers. At least 100 interviews have been that way. It drives me out of my mind.

Honestly there isn't much left to ask, they've been doing interviews for over 15 years

There is always. But these mainstream interviews need dumb questions. Not very deep, like which surprising songs from older albums you could imagine playing, or what kind of exciting directions could you imagine taking your music if you could still make ten different albums. It needs to be for dummies and it needs to be about the new album, and it needs to include Britney. On each interview they need to mention "fastest song, slowest song (with risk of sounding like a moron), feelings from the older albums, diversity", etc. Well, SNBN still feels like their fastest song and Angels still feels like their slowest song. But now the stage is brilliant with the new artwork, there's some cool new shit out, they should turn their attention to the ultimate COB live DVD. Anyway, when Alexi's ask a question "from the shelf", he gives a reply "from the shelf".

Maybe I've been naive and thinking it's just every interviewer copy pastes the exact same questions... But maybe it's the record labels sending the exact same questions to everyone, because they tell the things they think would boost the sales.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/210309

"CHILDREN OF BODOM Frontman Alexi Laiho On Signing With Nuclear Blast - "We're A Bigger Goddamn Priority Than We Were At Universal"

In a recent chat with BW&BK's Carl Begai, CHILDREN OF BODOM frontman Alexi Laiho talked about the band's move from Universal to Nuclear Blast for their new album, Halo Of Blood:

BW&BK: Was the move a case of the band's contract running out, or feeling like a number on a large label like Universal rather than an actual living, breathing band trying to make a living?

Laiho: "It was both, really. The contract expired and we did want to move to a smaller label. Nuclear Blast was one of our top choices because it's a real metal label, and as far as priorities go Children Of Bodom is a bigger goddamn priority than we were at Universal. That makes a big difference at the end of the day."

BW&BK: Was being part of the Universal roster beneficial for the band? Once you cross the threshold from smaller labels (Spinefarm, Nuclear Blast) to the big leagues there really is the danger of becoming just another name on a long list of record company projects.

Laiho: "It actually did help in many areas, but the problem was that the label kept changing all the time in certain countries. For one album there would be a Universal sub-label in the States or Germany, and they did a great job for that one album, but then we'd have to deal with a whole set of different people for the next album and they didn't give a flying fuck about us. We never knew who the hell we were going to work with, so that was the main problem we had at Universal."

http://carlbegai.com/2013/09/13/children-of-bodom-reaper-madness-bleed-and-feed/

CHILDREN OF BODOM – Reaper Madness: Bleed And Feed
By Carl Begai

By this point Children Of Boom fans, or anyone that gave a damn about the band’s first three albums (Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow The Reaper) before they pushed the ugly up a few notches for the Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk, are aware that the Finns’ new album Halo Of Blood is a tip of the hat to those good old days. Listen closely, however, and you’ll realize it’s not simply the back-to-the-roots album so many followers have been hoping for and harping on…

“Every fucking person I spoke to for the album said that we’d definitely gone back to the roots and that Halo Of Blood reminded them of our first three albums,” says vocalist/guitarist Alexi Laiho. “So you don’t have to do that; I already know (laughs).”

There’s no getting away from the fact that Children Of Bodom have taken a step back, though. A listen through Hatebreeder or Follow The Reaper back-to-back with Halo Of Blood offers loads of room for comparison, even though some of the old songs sound surprisingly thin against the new tunes. No offence to the COB legacy, of course, but production values don’t lie.

“None taken, that’s for sure. There’s definitely some truth to that. There might be some elements from the old school Bodom on Halo Of Blood, but it’s with an obvious updated sound. Like you said, there’s so much more to it than Hatebreeder or those other albums. ‘All Twisted ‘ is a song where even I get a Follow The Reaper vibe, but there’s an updated sound to it. None of that shit was intentional or thought out beforehand. It just came about naturally and spontaneous, as always.”

“At certain points I guess the new album was easier than the last one,” Laiho continues, “but it’s never easy to write an album, that’s for sure. I always hit a wall at some point trying to put the parts together, but when I look back now on the writing and recording process for Halo Of Blood, it does seem that it went a little smoother this time around.”

In a previous interview (found here), keyboardist Janne Wirman and drummer Jaska Raatikainen confirmed that Laiho remains the creative core of the band, as ever, but when it came to arranging the new songs it was more of a group effort for this album. Perhaps one of the main reasons Halo Of Blood turned out the way it did.

“Maybe, I don’t know,” says Laiho. “For me it was pretty much as its always been. I write everything, bring the songs to the rehearsal space and we jam on it and put the parts together. I’d say that this time around everybody spoke up as opposed to just two guys. Maybe that’s the difference.”

No question that Laiho and his bandmates have topped themselves with Halo Of Blood, more for the new flavours added to the Bodom arsenal than the familiar fixings. Take, for example, the blastbeats as the foundation of the title track.

“I told Jaska that he was going to have to do blastbeats, so props to him because he told me ‘Dude, I haven’t done that in years,’” Laiho reveals. “But I told him, ‘Come on, you’re a pro, you can pull it off…’ and he did. Jaska practiced his fucking ass off and he had it down in a week.”

Between ‘Halo Of Blood’ and the balladic ‘Dead Man’s Hand On You’ – songs that are very different from each other and everything else on the album – you have to wonder where the inspiration for the two songs came from.

“That’s a good question. I have no idea. The song ‘Dead Man’s Hand On You’, I don’t even know how that came about. I think I came up with the main riff and decided we should try it with clean guitars, which is something we haven’t done since the first album. Janne came up with the idea of playing the grand piano on top of it, and it just shaped up to be that sort of mellow super-dark song. It was something totally new for us so it definitely was a challenge, and fuck, I live for challenges. It was awesome to make it happen and make it believable.”

It’s funny how people have been singing Halo Of Blood’s praises for it’s back-to-the-roots vibe, yet it’s ‘Halo Of Blood’ and ‘Dead Man’s Hand On You’ that always come up in interviews.

“I know (laughs). ‘Dead Man’s Hand On You’ is definitely one of my favourite tracks on the album; the title track and that one. Like you said, everyone has been pointing out that Halo Of Blood sounds like the first three albums but they always mention those two songs.”

And no Children Of Bodom release would be complete without a few cover songs waiting in the wings as bonus tracks or b-sides. Halo Of Blood sports two; Roxette’s ‘Sleeping In My Car’, and Bananarama’s ‘Cruel Summer’ complete with guest solo by Annihilator guitarist Jeff Waters. Old hat for COB after 15 years in the game, and it supposedly never gets boring doing up new cover songs.

“Fuck no, and I don’t think that’s ever going to happen because the fact of the matter is we have so much fun doing cover songs,” Laiho states, blunt and straightforward. “Sometimes we try and pick the most retarded songs we can find, like disco or something, and once again it’s a challenge to do something like that. Take a disco song and dress it up in metal, but we want to make it sound professional. It’s supposed to be funny, but it’s not supposed to be a total joke.”

Halo Of Blood also breaks the COB tradition of crap (or at least questionable) cover art, which has graced their last three albums (Are You Dead Yet?, Blooddrunk, Relentless Reckless Forever). Like his bandmates, Laiho is completely satisfied with the final product.

“It’s pretty fucking awesome (laughs). I’m really happy with the artwork, and I’m supposed to say that because it’s the new album, but I really mean it. It fits the album perfectly, and even if you hadn’t heard the album or you didn’t know anything about Children Of Bodom, it definitely sticks out and grabs your attention.”

At press time the band was gearing up for the European leg of the Halo Of Blood tour. The new album, which has effectively given Children Of Bodom a new lease on life, is strong enough to warrant at least five new songs in the set, but according to Laiho that’s not going to happen. Not yet…

“We’re always going to have to play the old shit,” says Laiho. “We’re not going to be one of those bands that makes the mistake of playing the new album all the way through on tour. That’s not what the fans want to hear, which is sad but true. They want to hear the old stuff. We try to play something from each album, and with the new songs we do a couple of them to see how people react to them live. After one tour it’s safe to say which songs we can drop.”

The reason the songs Halo of Blood and Dead Man's Hand on You are talked about in every review is because everybody just copies the reviews made so far. Nobody fucking bothers to ask anything original or interesting. I say this for the tenth time maybe. Lazy journos.