COB Interviews

To be honest, they don't deserve our heated anticipation in the dawning of a new album anymore. Not after what happened the last three times. The good things they said about the last three albums sounded so promising and exciting, and it was an awful disappointment each time. Halo of Blood had some class, but even that one wore out in time, except for the title track. Sure they were good albums, but we expected best albums ever made. Even so, I still have faith this album could be more eerie, memorable and metal than the last ones.

I'm not saying I Worship Chaos was lacking because of limited song sections and less technicality. I was the one who kept saying that's what they should try, because it worked for Hypocrisy, so logic said it would work for them. But I said sacrifice technicality and number of sections if that's what it takes to ensure the songs will be atmospheric. Because I thought RRF was not atmospheric because it focused too much on technicality. Then came IWC, and it had its magical moments, even some magical songs, but I sincerely thought it was gonna sound dark... and I didn't expect stripping off solos. Solos is one thing, it's unnecessary work to create a complex solo that serves no musical value. You can make unforgettable solo sections with much easier techniques, as long as the idea comes deep from the heart. Of course best solo is one that comes from the heart and is also technical wizardry.

All I want is for the composions to come from the heart, for Alexi to imagine a magical song idea before picking up the guitar. To know the feeling of the song before touching the guitar. Then it's just about figuring the notes and seeing how the song actually looks like.

Almost every song on the last three albums still has a moment that tells he still has that creativity. But to expand it until a song becomes the living breathing entity of its own, each with a very personal heartbeat. That's what made the best songs on Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper exceptional.

I believe Alexi when he said it would just sound forced if they intentionally tried to make something like one of the early albums. Creativity is much more important than soundworld.

But when it comes to soundworld, I'd personally like more black metalish dark, atmospheric sound. I don't like the American sound or thrash metal in general. Such sound where they sound better with faster tempo, because it might be a way to provide the electrical feel by just increasing the speed and ensuring there's a strong mood in the songs.

Last edited:
Reactions: COB-666
Well the reason why many metal bands come from close to Helsinki is because it's dense in population so it's possible to find guys within bus distance who are into the same kind of music. If it's 'bands per capita' however, then that is partly the same reason, easier to form the damn band, but I guess urban environment also encourages the formation of unhealthy habits and ill events, which could be linked to the tendency of attuning into metal. I guess both the detachment from nature as well as the isolation from people are both bad at the extreme, which explains why there's metal bands coming from northern cities as well as northern rural nature. I believe aggressive metal bands come from populated areas, while depressive metal bands come from lonely regions, more often than not.

Last edited:
An interesting read. I liked the section where he said it's that goosebumpy moment when a player seems to lose consciousness of playing and everything comes out perfect seemingly without thinking, and when they capture that they have a thunder in a bottle. This is the phenomena some guys in motor racing have talked about on street tracks where you need to calm and control your mind to the point of being comfortably on the edge. I would say it's about becoming one with the instrument (guitar, car), with the environment (song, circuit) and with the timing, so it becomes your second nature and even allows room for personal expression.

Last edited:
An interesting read. I liked the section where he said it's that goosebumpy moment when a player seems to lose consciousness of playing and everything comes out perfect seemingly without thinking, and when they capture that they have a thunder in a bottle. This is the phenomena some guys in motor racing have talked about on street tracks where you need to calm and control your mind to the point of being comfortably on the edge. I would say it's about becoming one with the instrument (guitar, car), with the environment (song, circuit) and with the timing, so it becomes your second nature and even allows room for personal expression.
I've had this happen occasionally when I'm singing. It's pretty strange feeling when you're not really doing anything but you're still hitting the right notes at the right time. It kinda feels like being a spectator in your own body.

Yea I know I'm supposed to practice singing notes while playing them on bass, but for me it's a mental impossibility to sing (or dance), while I could scream or perform some other physical stuff in front of people, maybe I'm just insecure, or *grim*

Yea I know I'm supposed to practice singing notes while playing them on bass, but for me it's a mental impossibility to sing (or dance), while I could scream or perform some other physical stuff in front of people, maybe I'm just insecure, or *grim*
I've never sung in front of an audience either unless I've downed at least six beers beforehand. I rarely sing while playing guitar either. Never got the hang of screaming so I can't even try playing and screaming at the same time. Tried practicing it back when I started listening to Bodom in late 2010, but the only progress I ever made was getting a sore throat so I eventually gave up and learned to sing cleanly instead.

Few men have a good singing voice, and usually it's for a limited style. As for screaming, I suppose it's about technique, but I have nowhere to practice.