COB Interviews

I'd still love to read. and if you do take the time to translate them I would appreciate it very much! :kickass:

First one. End of the interview is missing I couldn't find it anywhere :erk:. I will translate more interviews later.

Soundi 4/1988

Stone – not just stone!

Stone has risen to the top at once wedging merciless speed into the rock mass. Successfully because people abroad want also taste rumble of Stone.
- Our timing was good; we don’t even fulfill tightest requirements of thrash and speed because speed is not main thing for us. But we still dig Slayer and Megadeth, that kind of faster stuff.
- But we are not rock start. It would be great to get more fan mail. Girls, send us pictures! The lesser clothes the better.

Roope and Jiri are smoking in the Kerava local train and looking to the corridor every now and then.
- It’s not worth of buying a ticket. Okay, last year we got three fines for travelling without ticket but it’s cheaper to pay fines than tickets. And who is paying the fines anyway.

Stone rehearsal place is five minutes walk away from Kerava railway station. First through the tunnel that has circus painting on the walls. Someone has sprayed big male organs on top of them. Then cross the road. In front of us is big pink youth house. It’s romantic style from beginning of the century.

Local band is training inside. Stone is sneering to the guys’ amplifiers that are not Marshalls. Also guitars cause some headshaking. Those are not Jacksons. Jiri and Roope are opening their guitar cases where Jacksons worth of 12000 Finnish mark per guitar are laying.

Is Stone paying that well already?
- No. We are working and talking loan. One gets help from the rich grandma.
- I can’t work. Roope defends himself. My skin goes to pot if I go to concrete factory.
- He is Tempest of our band. He got his name from Europe. Eu-rope, others are laughing.

Properly threw stones.

Stone debut album published in the March was instant killer album. Stone has been playing on the radio and album has been selling good. Also foreign countries woke up to Stone’s heavy music. One American and one European record company were pushing record deals and competing with each others. They want five album deal and worldwide rights from the Stone.
- It would be nice, guys say. But you can be happy only after papers have been signed. It’s interesting that we haven’t done much work for the band. We have done only one demo.

Popularity has come quite quickly, now it’s exactly a year from the delivering demo tape to some record companies. Poko said no, Megamania said yes.

Stone itself is not a new band, Janne (vocals and bass), Jiri and Roope (guitars) and Pekka (drums) have been playing together three years.
- We have always been playing heavy, but there has been other kind of progress during past three years. When we band was formed we didn’t know how to play at all. Our first tapes are rather tragicomic.
- We got your first gig right after band was formed. After that we have been playing everywhere tells Janne, front man of the band. We have organized gig by our self to youth houses and such. Even they might have been only 20 people present all gigs have been useful – besides one gig is as valuable as couple of rehearsal. Small gigs keep you down to the earth but helps word to spread. People started to talk about us in Kerava couple of years ago and now…now they are talking about us in Helsinki. Probably no one knows us in the middle or northern parts of Finland.
Stone entered the studio first time last winter when they record their first single. Produces were Danny and Marko from Backsliders.
– They were big help even producing was limited to Danny stamping his foot and shouting “that doesn’t work”. We wouldn’t be able to record anything without them, we were helpless.
When stone entered the studio for recording their album routines were already set. Band had reserved studio for one week and they intended to record couple of new songs. They ended up recording whole LP in just three days. Mixing took four days.
- Then we released that album is ready. You shouldn’t put album under the spotlight. But there was no point finalizing it more. Album represents what we are able to play.
After LP came out things started to roll. Stone didn’t have their own booker at the time. But word had spread among the bookers that Stone is worth of booking. And guys also kept signing session in the record store.
- We thought that maybe three or five people show up. But there was long line all the way tot the street. It was only three years ago when we were at that same store lining up for W.A.S.P. signing.

Good time
Stone hails from Kerava and Espoo and calls itself as a band “almost from Helsinki”. Roope and Jiri are still at the school. In music high school their band hassle is understood but Stone is disturbing studying so much that we are failing courses. Janne will graduate from high school this spring. Pekka is working in the plumbing company.

<And the rest is missing&#8230;.>

This is the article from Zero Tolerance magazine (I posted the text in the Interviews thread in March)

scan0098-1.jpg

scan0099-1.jpg

Sorry: meant to post this in the Blabbermouth Comment fight thread!

Stone – Hard as a stone
(Rumba 2/1988)

Speed and thrash metal has came to Finland surprisingly late. If considering popularity of new metal influencers in Finland, like hardcore and Motörhead, it is surprising that not until last year straightforward and fast playing bands climbed out from their cellars. During last year multiple new metal bands was found based on demos, Airdash and Stone among others.

Stone has already been ruling youth club gigs near Helsinki during past couple of years. Vocalist-bassist Janne tells: - We have been doing lot of gigs just for sake of playing. When word has spread we have been playing gigs to get routine. There is big difference between playing in the rehearsal room and playing on the stage.

Only punker in the Botswana.

Roots of the band are in the childhood. Guitarist Roope was living next door to Janne.
- Then I moved to Botswana because my dad was working there. I was into Punk and Pistols and I was probably only punker in the whole Botswana.
When Roope moved back to Finland old friends met other guitarist Jiri in the Kruununhaka music high school. Jiri joined their band.
- I joined the band because I was so though, Jiri laughs. Janne who was living at the Kerava found Pekka to play drums.
Demo and lot of gigs opened record company doors and Atte Blom’s Megamania released Stone’s first single Real Delusions. It was the heavies single of the year and didn’t pale in the comparison to the speed bands from the big world. During the same studio session parts of other songs were recorded. In January Stone continued to work on their material by recording rest of the songs for the album in the MTV Studio (note: not Music TV but commercial TV channel in Finland) together with Jari Laajanen and sound engineer Mikko (Karmila).
Janne: - Essentially our album doesn’t have a producer. Jari knew all the tricks needed for recording and Mikko was listening at the studio how it should sound like. Otherwise we had freedom to do what ever we wanted.
Roope: Album was completed in seven days. Playing took four days and mixing three. Single recording session was two days long and we saved only drum and bass tracks from that and played guitars again with better sound. Songs haven’t really changed compared to demos. Maybe they are tighter and more up-tempo. Songs shortened from six minutes to five minutes when recorded.
Janne: - We really don’t play songs with unrestrained speed tempo because they suffer from it. Instead we have been putting effort to get songs sound heavier.

Love songs have already been written.

Heavy band lyrics are often quite weird starting from colorful drug lyrics from pre-heavy bands and mystical and violent lyrics from Black Sabbath. Pop heavy bands usually revolve around sex, drugs and rock’n’roll. Speed bands are inheritors of punk thought Satanism and such are sometime present in the lyrics.
In Stone Janne writes lyrics. – Writing is quite hard. Most of the lyrics were already done when we entered the studio. Our lyrics are multi-directional. Real Delusion is about nuclear bomb, but other songs are about random topics. We don’t do any Satanist things and we try to avoid rock’n’roll clichés. And they aren’t love songs either.
- In my opinion all love songs have already been written. Our songs are maybe more about race inside your head, because that is what our music is like.
Even roots of Stone are in the punk lyrics don’t cover do-goodism.
- Do-goodism is such a cliché. Our only message is that people should use their own brains and do what ever they want. Not forgetting humor and fun!

New doors are open for heavy.

Speed metal has been opening new doors for heavy. Energy and down to the earth attitude of thrash bands has got heavy haters to re-evaluate their attitudes. “Heavy is stupid” statement is not self evident truth anymore. Punk banned gigantic 70s bands of which many were heavy bands. However new metal is inheritor of punk and speed also contains lot of progressive elements, at least in the song length and in the weird compositions. Besides if you ask from heavy kids their favorites, they might mension both punk and Pink Floyd.
Janne: - We have been getting incredible feedback from people that don’t like heavy. Prejudice has fallen off when people have noticed that there are no guys in the tights at the stage screaming heavy clichés from falsetto. It feels like when ever Finnish heavy band is playing in somewhere people are expecting some sort of clown group.
Jiri: - at least I don’t consider myself as a guitar hero that plays some scales for fifteen minutes. We are band and we play together as tight as possible.
Roope: - We are not band that goes on the stage to show broad back. Large part of good heavy bands has stuck to their own path. When they are out of ideas only thing left is showing off with ridiculous playing and result is boring.
Janne: - I still dig for example first Dio album but his newer stuff is not just interesting anymore. AC/DC, Van Halen, Iron Maiden and Motörhead are examples of bands that just keep repeating themselves. Only sound changes little bit during the years. Latest album I have bought was newest from Iguaano. But my little brother plays thrash albums so much that I keep up in that racket.
Janne: - We try to play together as tight as possible and try to find the groove. We are rehearsing couple of times a week even though sometimes it is boring to keep rehearsing same stuff all the time. Our music requires discipline so there is not much room for improvisation. At the gig you sometimes notice that you have taken couple of beer too much and can’t keep up with the others.
Roope: - This requires good shape. Sometimes my hands cramps because I’m not any muscle man. But most important thing is of course technique. Just like in our favorite hobby golf, you need to find right screw.
Janne: - Sometimes when you play really badly on the stage people come to compliment you afterwards. That is really odd. Also moshing goes over sometimes. Crowd keeps accidently unplugging our guitars when stage diving. But of course its good thing that crowd is in on our gigs.
Stone music is really tight. Are guys jamming at all?
Jiri: - Sometimes we jam Metallica songs, if we remember lyrics. Four Horsemen is song that everyone remembers. And sure we jam with our friends all kinds of jazz songs. Its fun to play what ever comes out.

Heavy metal stone over Finland.

Stone debut album comes out in upcoming weeks. Roope has drawn album cover art.
Roope: - Bad taste is good taste and ugly is beautiful.
Jiri: - At this point we are going to check out how album is received. It would be cool to play at some summer festivals. Only problem is that we don’t have booker.
Janne: - Some guys have been talking that we have become too proud after getting the record deal. If I don’t know the guy and I have never talked to guy I don’t go to talk with him. We are not rock stars just regular guys.
Maybe. But not many regular guys have done as good debut album as Stone. So be ready people, children of the darkness, heavy metal Stone has landed and is ready to hit heavier, harder and faster.

A7X, JFAC, Alkaline Trio, Disturbed, Less Than Jake, Say Anything, FFTL? "Metal As F**CK Issue!"?

Looks like a pretty gay magazine.

Rofl the only real metal in there is, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, in flames, and of course Bodom. Agreed with ^^^