COB Interviews

Scythes Of Bodom & Henkka T. Blacksmith 2008

Zarok: Do you care about other bands and projects of the other guys, like Sinergy, Warmen and Gashouse Garden?

Henkka: I used to have all the Sinergy albums and especially on the first album there were a couple of good songs but I haven't been really following it. I also have all Warmen albums but I haven't really listened to it. But yeah, I know some songs of this guy. (points to Janne)

:lol::lol:

Cover album sounds good. And thanks to Zarok once again, great interview!

In the new terrorizer mag:

Blasts from the past
Terrorizers guide to classic albums.

CHILDREN OF BODOM: SOMETHING WILD

WHY IS IT A CLASSIC?
'Something Wild' drew from different sources and ages of metal to create something that could ultimately appeal to all factions of extreme music. The vitality that springs from these riffs and snappy keyboard lines is the result of a perfect marriage of speed, aggression and melody, this at a time when 'melodic metal' wasn't really a term you threw around very often.
"Personally I think the timing of the release was really good" says mainman Alexi Laiho. "There were so many black metal bands trying to sound like Dimmu Borgir, and I think people were looking for something new, which they found with this album." Also, contrary to similar albums that have popped up since (even their own albums), 'Something Wild' feels spontaneous and care free, which can be traced back to the very recording. "When we were working on the album we were in a different situation from the one we have now. No one knew who the fuck we were and we had a shitty record label, which meant we had to pay for everything ourselves. We recorded the whole thing in seven days and it was great fun," says the frontman.

WHAT WERE ITS INSPIRATIONS?
As mentioned before, the heterogenity of its inspirations was the key for it greatness. "We were into alot of death and black metal bands at the time, like dismember, hypocrisy and all the traditional Norwegian black metal." Alexi reveals. "But at the same time i was listening to alot of guitar players and '80's stuff, even Motley crue. It wasn't cool to listen to that sort of 'ladies metal', but i didn't care, I liked it. Thats probulary what made 'Something Wild' different, because it was not all extreme metal, there other things behind it"

HOW WAS IT RECIEVED AT THE TIME?
When you come up with something that has any element of originality, backlash is bound to happen, and 'Something Wild' wasn't recieved with unanimous praise. "It generated controversy," recalls Alexi. "For people who were more into the old school heavy metal, it was to extreme, while for the black metal crowd it wasn't extreme enough." However, overall opinion in the media was vastly positive and the fans begun to pick up on this band with the strange name, to the point of surpassing expectations.
"Overall , it was so much better than we ever expected. We agreed beforehand that if it did good, it could sell 1,000 copies, but then it sold close to 4,000 and we were left wondering what had happened."

HOW IMPORTENT WAS THE ARTWORK?
Although it can't be said that the COB reaper had become an icon of Eddie proportions, for the band themselves it has been essential in establishing an image that fans can easily identify with. As with most things, it wasn't really planned. "The whole reaper thing happened accidently, we were flipping through image books and the minute we saw that picture everyone was like, 'Thats it!' When we were recording the second album, wondering what the cover would be like, someone just said that maybe we could keep using the reaper, and that just stuck around, and that it now a part of the bands image."

HOW INFLUENTIAL DID IT PROVE TO BE?
"Its still the most important album for the band, it put us on the map," claims Alexi, summing up the huge kick-start that it afforded his band. But that map was not saved only Bodom, for along with Nightwish and Sonata Arctica, 1997 became something of a turning point for Finnish metal in general, turning all eyes to this criminally underrated stamping ground for burgeoning metal talent. And of course without Bodom, you can argue bands such as Norther, Kalmah and even Darkest Hour would not have the international recognition they have now. Good that Alexi is a sport about it. "Yeah I hear 'Something Wild' in other bands sometimes. But I think thats a cool thing, It means they like us"

FINISHED!
Apologies for any typo's >.<

Thanks a lot Zarok for a great job, all the interviews are really cool. It's interesting to hear from Jaska for a change; he
seems like a really nice guy

Here's a short interview with Roope from earlier this year, which I found from the 'net:

Date: 2008-09-25

The Gauntlet: How is the tour going? Good crowds?

Roope Latvala: It’s going real well.

The Gauntlet: Are you getting along with the Black Dahlia Murder guys?

Roope: Yea, those guys I really like. They’re just normal dudes like us. They’re nice guys, we get along good.

The Gauntlet: The last time I saw you guys was in Long Beach on Gigantour, and you seemed a little pissed off, do you remember anything about that?

Roope: Hmm… I don’t remember. I have nothing bad to say about that tour with Megadeth. Their crew was really polite and we got to be friends in the end.

The Gauntlet: Did you get to hang out with Dave Mustaine?

Roope: We hung out a few nights, but I didn’t get to know him that much. He kept a little distance. He always said “Hi” and sometimes would have a couple of beers with us after the show, but that was it.

The Gauntlet: After this tour you’re going to Europe with Slipknot. Are you a Slipknot fan at all?

Roope: I’m not really familiar with that whole thing. It all seems a little odd to me, but maybe I’ll get used to it (laughs). What I’ve heard sounds good. The cool part is that the tour starts in Helsinki in November. It’s a nice place to start the thing, in our hometown. It’s a nice release for us. We’re looking forward to it. Big places, big crowds.

The Gauntlet: There are rumors that your old band, Stone, are going to be reuniting for a few shows or maybe even a new album this year. How much of that is true?

Roope: There’s no talk about a new album, but we do have a couple of gigs coming up in Helsinki. It starts the 25th of next month or something like that. We’ve got one month off from Bodom before the Slipknot thing. We’ve got three sold out shows now in one week. It’s gonna be a hectic week (laughs). We’ll probably play some pretty long sets.

The Gauntlet: What’s the status of the next Sinergy album, “Sins of the Past”? Will it be out this year?

Roope: I haven’t actually talked to (vocalist) Kimberly Goss in a couple of years. When the whole Bodom thing got going, we sort of buried the whole thing. It’s kind of sad, we laid down all the riffs and guitars and bass and drum tracks already. It’s just the singing and soloing, and of course the mixing that is missing.

The Gauntlet: How easy is it working with Alexi Laiho in the studio?

Roope: Very easy. We arrange all the stuff beforehand, and then just go in and record. We find a sound and just start bashing.

The Gauntlet: Did you have any songwriting input on “Blooddrunk”?

Roope: No, I just threw in a couple of riffs now and then. I busted some solos. The raw stuff is usually Laiho’s, but then we all sort of arrange stuff together and figure out what we can and can’t do. Pretty much everyone is involved, but it all comes from Alexi in the first place. I don’t want to get involved too much, because it is Alexi’s baby.

The Gauntlet: How do you think Alexi ranks among current metal guitarists?

Roope: There is definitely a unique feel in his playing. He’s got a very personal style. Lots of little details here and there. There are so many good songwriters out there. The world is so fucking huge, and there could be a million better players out there for all we know. We just try to be as original as possible, and thank God we are where we are.

The Gauntlet: Have you heard the new Metallica album?

Roope: Yea! It’s way better than the last one. I heard some of the old stuff in there. I think it’s a good album. I think it’s better than “Load” and “Reload.” It’s the first good album after the Black Album.

The Gauntlet: Do you have a favorite album of 2008?

Roope: There are a few goodies out there. One of my favorites is the new Testament. The Cavalera Conspiracy I really dig. What else is there?

The Gauntlet: There’s the new Opeth.

Roope: I haven’t heard that actually. They believe that they are some kind of genius and they’re not afraid to tell that, I think that’s kind of funny. Great fucking professors of metal. I might try it though.

The Gauntlet: Thanks for the interview!

Roope: No problem. We are going to go swimming in the Salt Lake right now. It’s very warm up here and the water looks really clean. Take care!

Thanks sleeper! Really nice interview, although always sad to be getting more and more bad news about the Sinergy album. Still, good interview, Roope is a funny dude :lol:

I liked the ''it's Alexi's baby'' part :lol:

The Gauntlet: There’s the new Opeth.

Roope: I haven’t heard that actually. They believe that they are some kind of genius and they’re not afraid to tell that, I think that’s kind of funny. Great fucking professors of metal. I might try it though.

What a totally Finnish thing to say :lol:

Especially considering Opeth are Swedes

Great interviews Zarok and sleeper, thanks :) Finally got an interview with Jaska,seems like such a nice dude :) I cant believe they dont like 'knuckleduster'!! And I quite liked Warmens first album,least he was honest about what he thought of it :p

What a totally Finnish thing to say :lol:

Especially considering Opeth are Swedes

...and considering Mikael Akerfeld said in an interview that Jeff Loomis is a lot better than Alexi in a pretty disrespectful way, if I remember correct. I mean, I agree that Loomis has the better techique, but the way Mikael said it was not very nice if my memory doesn't fool me.