COB Interviews

I'll get right in to it :)
:lol: no need to hurry, I just seen that there are TEN of them, whole lotta work to do so I´m gonna try to behave myself and be satisfied with what comes :saint:
one´s getting really "hungry" for news when laying in bed whole day (I got the flu for more than a week now), I´m sorry...

The second Roope interview here :)

Roope: I'm Roope Latvala and I'm a DJ guest here in radio rock for this week.
Interviewer: Do you have any general advice for guys who start playing guitar?
Roope: Well, first of all you have to be very patient since you can't learn everything in a minute. For example if you are trying to learn some new lick and you practice it for a few weeks and you still don't get it right, then start practicing something else and when you start practicing the original lick again you'll get it going eventually. You should also practice a lot of techinque and theory is very handy to know. It's a lot easier to learn new stuff if you know music theory.

(A song plays here)

Roope: This was a song from Deicide and the song was Stench of Redemption, the first song of their second newest album. Band comes from Florida and the guitarist is Ralph Santolla. We were touring with Iced Earth and there I got to know the guy. He also plays in Obituary, and by the way, Obituary is also coming to Helsinki. They're gonna play 5 gigs in february-march of something. But back in Deicide. Singer's voice can scare you a bit first, and the singer is Glen Benton, a nice guy by the way. I've listened to Deicide before but this album was just so cool. Guitarplaying and drumming is just so amazing on this album. Some people could say that there are too many notes in their music but at least there are many notes if you like fast music. So start listening to Deicide, they rock!

And the third Roope interview is here :)

Roope: I'm Roope Latvala and I'm a DJ guest here in radio rock for this week.
Interviewer: You formed a band named Stone at some point.
Roope: Yeah, first it was named Cross of Iron but we had to change the name since it was a bi provocative. Then it became a bit of W.A.S.P styled like S.T.O.N.E. Satans Torture Of None's Exite (that's what I think he says) but that sounded sooooo stupid that we decided to leave the dots out. Then it became Stone and that's how it all started. We also had some changes in the line up in the beginning but that was my first band.
Interviewer: And you were listening to a lot of Metallica at the time?
Roope: Yeah, and you can really hear it from our first album. It came out 20 years ago and Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets were great influences to us at the time. There are also few riffs that are very similar to Metallica and the feeling on the album also. Of course there were a lot of our own special things in the music too.
Interviewer: But hasn't Metallica also "copied" Stone a bit?
Roope: Well' Enter Sandman has quite a lot of Get Stoned influences, and the main riff does have almost too much similarities. But I'm not saying that they have really copied Stone, it might also have happened accidentally. And of course Metallica can afford to rip off any band they want.
Interviewer: So it could have happened accidentally that they have listened to your music and it has just stuck to their brains and kind of automatically been ripped to their music?
Roope: Yes, I'm quite sure that it happened like that.
Interviewer: How often you hear about Stone when you're touring with CoB for example?
Roope: Well, there's usually some guy in the crew or something who remembers Stone so I hear of it quite often. And nowadays when you can use internet, many guys have found Stone and we've got a lot of new fans too. It's cool to see that a lot of teenagers have also found the band and they are often wearing that trash-metal clothing like we did when we were young so it's like 80's came back. And when we did a gig in Tavastia, there was really great audience.
Interviewer: But that means that your songs must be great when people listen them nowadays too.
Roope: Well they're quite good actually and it was really fun to play them again live since we hadn't completely forgotten how to play them.
Interviewer: How where these Stone come-back gigs last year then?
Roope: Those were really cool. Everyone played well and altough Niiranen claimed that he hadn's played anything for 7 years, I don't believe that since he played so well and we even got our old crew with us and we had Mikko Karmila mixing so the sound was very cool.
Interviewer: Can we expect more gigs or something else from Stone in future?
Roope: We haven't talked about future yet but we decided that we never say never anymore. But of course Janne is making the new album with Suburban tribe and I have all the stuff with Bodom and first things come first of course.

(A song plays here)

Roope: This was Andrew W. K. and the song was Long Live the Party. It's a song that always makes you happy. If you've had a gig and ended up drunk for example, and have a terrible hangover next morning, this song will surely help. This is kind of party music and it's also from Florida. And the song is from the album The Wolf. It's probably their second album. Third album never came out I think. Andrew himself is some kind of judge and he can confirm marriages nowadays or something. These songs have very cool party elements and if you listen to it very carefully you can hear that there are lots of things happening in these songs. We also did a cover from She is Beautiful. When we were same time in Milwaukee, Alexi joined them on stage to perform that song. So Andrew W. K is cool and Long Live the Party!

Here's Alexi and Janne interview (translated from Finnish) few weeks after Tokyo Warhearts Japan 1999 Again sorry for not so good translation

Molli-Olli (interviewer): You've arrived back in Finland few weeks ago. What was it like in Japan.
Alexi: It was very cool place. It's kind of place that you can't compare to any else country. First I thought that Russia would be the most HC but it wasn't.
In Japan, their hospitality is like: You've got to get used to it, or you'll gonna be sorry.
Janne: The way they organize everything is just soooo perfect. Everthing works.
Molli-Olli: So you've now been in Finnish festivals and in Japan and Mexico but nothing beats Japan?
Alexi: Absolutely not!
Molli-Olli!Your albums have sold quite much in Japan, was that one reason to go there?
Janne: We were actually asked to play there by a local promoter there. And it was very amazing there and crowd was really cool.
Molli-Olli: Sinergy was the other band there. In Flames was too but let's not talk about that band. But Allu, since you play in both Sinergy and Bodom, were the schedules fairly hard?
Alexi: Well, that wasn't much of a problem - holy fuck! (a bee landed on Alexi's hand) - So first we pulled a gig with Bodom and then I went to backstage and then back to the stage.
Roope Latvala played also in Sinergy so it worked.
Molli-Olli: Roope has always been an idol for you. Did it give you some special energy to play 2 gigs in a row?
Alexi: Yeah, it was so cool to play with him so it worked very well.
Molli-olli: You are quite a young band and you already recorded a live show. Who's idea this was?
Janne: The local promoter recorded those shows anyway so we thought that if it would be mixed here in Finland, we could release it as a live album.
Alexi: It would have been released as a bootleg or something anyway there in Japan. But that's aferall a true live album. It's been recorded from a single gig and it hasn't been modified in studio or anything.
Molli-Olli: So nothing like Kiss-alive?
Alexi: Definetly not! (laughter)
Molli-Olli: When will this Tokyo Warhearts album be released then?
Alexi: Don't know anything about it, so Janne Wirman can probably tell you more.
Janne: (laughter) I don't know anything about it either. It will be mastered and some copying machine makes copys of it so it probably takes a month or two.
Molli-Olli: You have surely got a lot of new fans there but do you think that this will make you more famous in Finland also?
Alexi: In Finland?
Molli-Olli: You know this old saying that you can be famous in Finland only if you've become famous in other countries first?
Alexi: Is this true nowadays? I don't know but I hope it is. But why would someone here start to like us if we've been in Japan? However it's kind of cool if it goes like that.
Molli-Olli: We discussed with Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius and we compared Bodom and Stratovarius. We noticed that both bands have same kind of music but the vocals have
a difference of three or four octaves. Have you guys noticed the same?
Janne: Jeah, Allu sings bit higher notes, wasn't it like that?
Alexi: Yeah, like that, Tipe (nickname for Timo) has never learned to sing those very high notes. (laughter)
Jyrki: Is there a big difference in power metal and death metal? Others are bit more brutal but do you think there's some difference in attitude?
Alexi: It depends of what bands we're talking about of course. If the power metal bands is some kind of christian band or something. We don't have any kind of ideology in our band or anything.
We just play rock'n'roll.
Molli-Olli: (This sentence can't be translated since he refers to Andu McCoy and his famous sentence "Mä haluun
vaan skulaa skebaa!" and it can't be translated since it's plural but it means like: I just wanna play guitar and rock'n'roll!
Alexi: Yes!
Janne: Yeah!