COB Pics

Readers vote it's not objective, it just shows which player's work is more liked. Alexi may not be better than some players on that list, but neither is e.g. Synister Gates and he won Metal Hammer's shreder award last year or so. No need to get all hyped about it, it happens. And I agree with Lussi about music being the thing that would go first with me, and there Alexi is top for me too.

I also think that best guitar player is not the one who's got the best technique. For example I know that John Petrucci is techically much better than Alexi, but I like Alexi's playing style LOT more. Petrucci's playing is so boring that I don't even find words to describe it. Usually people vote for guitarist whose style or music they like most, so I don't think that it's "wrong" if Alexi for example is higher on some guitarist list than Steve Vai. Vai might be techically better, more versatile, more experienced and everything, but if Alexi's style is just cooler and more people like it, then so be it. I think that the style is more important to most guitarists and listeners than to know the fact that Petrucci can play 8 notes per second faster than Alexi.

I like Alexi's playing style LOT more. Petrucci's playing is so boring that I don't even find words to describe it. Usually people vote for guitarist whose style or music they like most, so I don't think that it's "wrong" if Alexi for example is higher on some guitarist list than Steve Vai. Vai might be techically better, more versatile, more experienced and everything, but if Alexi's style is just cooler and more people like it, then so be it. I think that the style is more important to most guitarists and listeners than to know the fact that Petrucci can play 8 notes per second faster than Alexi.

very true, couldn't agree more.

I also think that best guitar player is not the one who's got the best technique. For example I know that John Petrucci is techically much better than Alexi, but I like Alexi's playing style LOT more. Petrucci's playing is so boring that I don't even find words to describe it. Usually people vote for guitarist whose style or music they like most, so I don't think that it's "wrong" if Alexi for example is higher on some guitarist list than Steve Vai. Vai might be techically better, more versatile, more experienced and everything, but if Alexi's style is just cooler and more people like it, then so be it. I think that the style is more important to most guitarists and listeners than to know the fact that Petrucci can play 8 notes per second faster than Alexi.

^

Who's best is one's opinion.
For example, a lot of people think Jimi Hendrix and Slash are the top players, even though they don't have perfect technique.

I think, it's good for Alexi to win against Kirk Hammett, because Metallica are way more famous than COB.
I'm not sure but I think, Bullet for my Valentine are better known too.
So the poll is more than just voting for the guitarist of the favourite band.

2254666388a10109495433l.jpg

I took this pic from the front row at the Valentines Day show in Glasgow :) It would look better if it wasn't so faded from the lighting.

Of course you can like some players more (I myself prefer Alexi over any player), but beeing better player is something you can see. The one who has more abilities is theoretically better. Then comes in the fans factor, but beeing a better player can be meassured, because it's not about the music but about the abilities the player has. Dream Theater's music is not better than Children Of Bodom's music, it's just a matter of tastes, but John Petrucci is better than Alexi.

Gallery that I don't remember seeing before (but my mind is blank so...:D): http://www.the-concrete-shell.com/c_gall.html

Thanks!