cognitive dissonance!

Hedon-

vic firth 2b
Apr 24, 2008
Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, the awareness of one's behavior, and facts. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors.[1] Cognitive dissonance theory is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

-wikipedia

i think saying WATERSHED IS AWESOME is a cognitive dissonance!

because u say, its an opeth ALBUM, it HAS TO BE GOOD!

also, thinking opeth's lyrics are AWESOME is a cognitive dissonance! because you think, mike is so talented, his lyrics MUST be good!
!!

I had to read your post about 10 times to understand what you were trying to say. And I'm still not sure I've got it, but let me if I can clarify:

you're saying that because it's Opeth, the album /must/ be good, because that's what we've come to expect/believe etc. And we try to justify the album to make it fit into said expectation/belief but a part of our mind knows that it just didn't cut it?

And basically the same on the subject of Mike's lyrics compared to how talented he is otherwise, yeah?

Am I completely off in left field here or is this more or less what you were trying to say?

yes, i just felt like typing like a retard for some reason

i have myself both copies of watershed, still no idea just why lol

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, the awareness of one's behavior, and facts. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors.[1] Cognitive dissonance theory is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

-wikipedia

also, thinking opeth's lyrics are AWESOME is a cognitive dissonance! because you think, mike is so talented, his lyrics MUST be good!
!!

So you went through the trouble of looking up cognitive dissonance instead of coming right out and telling us you don't like watershed?

Kudos for creativity I guess. Doesn't take away from the fact that this is the only type of thread/discussion that seems to be popping up around here lately.

jackw.gif

the theory looks interesting,
applying it to everyone and the attitude towards WS...
I wouldn't say offensive but rather not-so-interesting

yeah of course it doesnt apply to anyone, but i dare to say it a applies to shit load of people here!

umm.. too many words to describe bias.. im glad i wil not study psychology

-wikipedia

!!

Silly faggot, dicks are for chicks!

can't u just like something without questioning yourself? wow you have this strange urge to impress yourself, then

That's a real stupid thing to do, it's like you were forced to like every chocolate bar you tried cause "chocolate MUST be good". that's called "taste", so , go and shove your dissonance theory up wherever it pleases yourself.

and stop bashing watershed, it was not built just for you.

Go and ask Mikael if he suffers from cognitive dissonance everytime he composes