cognitive dissonance!

Cognitive dissonance is a commonly discussed topic in consumer behavior. Its that feeling one gets after making a purchase where they are wondering if they didn't do the right thing. So we ask others, read reviews, look at ads, etc. to reassure ourselves that we made the right purchase decision.

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, the awareness of one's behavior, and facts. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors.[1] Cognitive dissonance theory is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

-wikipedia
Thanks for enlightenment first. I was looking for an explanation of it but i didn't know what it is called.

i think saying WATERSHED IS AWESOME is a cognitive dissonance!

because u say, its an opeth ALBUM, it HAS TO BE GOOD!

also, thinking opeth's lyrics are AWESOME is a cognitive dissonance! because you think, mike is so talented, his lyrics MUST be good!
!!
Try to read this part backward :
His lyrics are good (Opeth's lyrics are awesome) => Mike is so talented
Watershed is awesome & It is an Opeth album = Opeth is a good band.

At least, that's the way that made me think that Opeth are good (although with an other album lol)

you should really consider the fact that if watershed wasnt released by opeth but by some other band (theoretically speaking) most of the people praising it here would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever say its that good

bfo-rlmente.jpg

you should really consider the fact that if watershed wasnt released by opeth but by some other band (theoretically speaking) most of the people praising it here would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever say its that good

On the contrary, I feel that if some random band had put out Watershed, it would be very highly praised.

^very true.
Consider an underground band to put out Watershed. It would be a breaking point for them.

@Hedon-

Your argument leads me to believe that you think Watershed is a horrid piece of work, entirely without artistic merit, if you think the only reason anyone likes it is because Opeth released it, when really, it's just viewed (generally speaking) as a flawed piece of art put forth by a band who typically exceeds expectations. My own squabbles with Watershed aside, it is by no means a bad record, and had some other band put it out instead of Opeth (especially were it a debut album) I do believe I'd be shitting bricks. The problem is with comparison, not content.

@Hedon-

Your argument leads me to believe that you think Watershed is a horrid piece of work, entirely without artistic merit, if you think the only reason anyone likes it is because Opeth released it, when really, it's just viewed (generally speaking) as a flawed piece of art put forth by a band who typically exceeds expectations. My own squabbles with Watershed aside, it is by no means a bad record, and had some other band put it out instead of Opeth (especially were it a debut album) I do believe I'd be shitting bricks. The problem is with comparison, not content.

nah i dont think watershed is shit i just know people force themselves to like it more than they should

nah i dont think watershed is shit i just know people force themselves to like it more than they should

Not really. I don't care for the Damnation record, despite it being Opeth. I don't like Orchid or Morningrise. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Some guys really transpose (cast) their own point of view to the whole community. It's ridiculous. They just don't get that some people are able to like what they don't, for them it's just impossible and they're obviously unable to reason.

Some guys really transpose (cast) their own point of view to the whole community. It's ridiculous. They just don't get that some people are able to like what they don't, for them it's just impossible and they're obviously unable to reason.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree wholeheartedly with you.

I don't think that's the case at all. If that were true, why would so many people be bashing it? I don't understand where you're coming from with this. I mean yeah, the idea makes sense, but I don't see that it applies here at all. Have you even read what people have said about the album?

yeah of course like when a guy says "i think the reverse part in HP is actually good, i like it!"

classic case of cognitive dissonance!!