Collective gear reccomendation thread for newbs

gixxsta04

Nov 27, 2010
If you are wanting to get started in recording heavy-metal music and wondering what kind of gear is needed you have come to the right place. These are some of the popular pieces of equipment with the sneapsters. That being said, you should never buy any piece of gear without evaluating it for yourself!

Guitar Head: Peavey 5150 MK I (Block letter, Signature, and 6505 are the SAME AMP!) Mesa Dual Rectifier is a great head for metal as well.

Guitar Cab: Mesa Rectifier Oversized 4x12(or just about anything with Vintage 30's)

Boost Pedal: Tubescreamers! In order of goodness: OD808/TS808 Vintage, OD9/TS9, TS7. They will all get the job done. I prefer the OD808 as it is a true bypass and I use it outside of the studio as well.

Cab Mic: SM57! You might want 2 of these.

Vocal Mic: SM7B or AT40XX. SM58 and SM57 can produce great scream vox tracks as well.

Headphones: HD280's for isolation(Tracking), ATH-M50's for accuracy(Mixing in a pinch).

Drum Software/samples(We dont use real drums around here, lol): Superior 2.0, SSD, Joey Sturgis samples, and various board member's samples. Acoustic kits can be used to trigger samples via Slate Trigger and APTrigga.

Audio Interface: Saffire Pro 40, 2626 if its in your budget.

Monitors: HS80's are highly regarded but I think they suck compared to the MSP10's which can be had for the same money. If you are on a tighter budget go for the HS50's or better yet MSP5's.

Bass: Sansamp BDDI, or if you've got the money buy yourself an SVT + Fridge.

Guitars: Anything with EMG's or Blackouts. Neck through is nice to have. Schecter Hellraiser is a good place to get started.

Bass Guitars: Fender Jazz reigns king but there are lots of other options.

This is basically a rough draft of what I'd like this thread to become. If I clean up the wording, add some pictures and more details, I think this could be sticky material. I really wish there was a thread like this when I first came here. I will add your contributions, so if you have something to add SPEAK UP!

Great idea for a thread actually. If everyone contributed to this it could make a great sticky!

Nice list so far man, I'd add the following bits and bobs:

In case you are wondering what most people use on this board to get their sounds, these are some of the popular pieces of equipment with the sneapsters. That being said, you should never buy any piece of gear without evaluating it for yourself!

Guitar Head: Peavey 5150 MK I (Block letter and Signature are the SAME AMP!) 6505 is also the same amp

Guitar Cab: Mesa Rectifier Oversized 4x12(or just about anything with Vintage 30's)

Boost Pedal: Tubescreamers! In order of goodness: OD808/TS808 Vintage, OD9/TS9, TS7. some would argue that it doesn't make much difference. at the end of the day any tubescreamer is better than not having one at all

Cab Mic: SM57! You might want 2 of these.

Vocal Mic: SM7B or AT40XX sm57/58 can also give good results on a budget

Headphones: HD280's for isolation, ATH-M50's for accuracy.

Drum Software/samples(We dont use real drums around here, lol): Superior 2.0, SSD, Joey Sturgis samples, and various board member's samples recording your own samples is also a great way to learn and will mean that your stuff sounds original

Audio Interface: Saffire Pro 40 Profire 2626 is also highly regarded

Monitors: HS80's are highly regarded but I think they suck compared to the MSP10's which can be had for the same money. HS50's are also a good choice if you're in a small room

Bass: Sansamp BDDI, or if you've got the money buy yourself an SVT + Fridge.

Guitars: Anything with EMG's or Blackouts. Neck through is nice to have. Schecter Hellraiser is a good place to get started.

Bass Guitars: Fender Jazz reigns king but there are lots of other options.

Thats the basic stereotype gear. Anyone else have anything to add?

As a newbie, I would love more info about all this. Great thread. How about software and plugins and such. This really is the greatest board ever

51pfwn%2BenQL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

To take care of the most important piece of gear you own,

Oh and my only issue with the first post is the Superior Drummer thing .....

Ummmm Yes we DO use real drums and we use TRIGGER to mix samples with the live sounds .... Get with the program n00B! :p

As a newbie, I would love more info about all this. Great thread. How about software and plugins and such. This really is the greatest board ever

Try starting with these they're free and work great: http://antress.er-webs.com/
You will also find that the Waves plugins are popular. Expensive though.

As far as guitar sim plugins go: Use impulses for cabinet modeling. I think there are some free amp modelers the guys are using around here called Lecto and Wagner Sharp. They seem to sound pretty good for plugs. There are several tubescreamer sims as well. Help me out here guys.

I think it would be cool to add in ears? Useful for micing a cab or band practise etc. Perhaps to complement the section about headphones.

Anyway cool thread no doubt even though theres nothing better than a nice search because what i love about this forum specifically is that there are always plenty of clips to back up opinions,reviews,techniques etc.
Still great idea, later man!

Try starting with these they're free and work great: http://antress.er-webs.com/
You will also find that the Waves plugins are popular. Expensive though.

As far as guitar sim plugins go: Use impulses for cabinet modeling. I think there are some free amp modelers the guys are using around here called Lecto and Wagner Sharp. They seem to sound pretty good for plugs. There are several tubescreamer sims as well. Help me out here guys.

Mac user:erk::erk::erk: