Comeback Bands

Necromunchkin

Lord of the Whisky
Sep 21, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
So, we're being inundated with band reunions and also bands who may or may not have broken up, but pretty much dropped of the map for years suddenly putting out new albums. Yet, how much of these reactivated bands' new material is actually worthwhile?

This thread is for the sole discussion of such bands, the ones who put out winners, and those who failed terribly.

One band I rarely hear mentioned, but who's latter day efforts have been quite excellent are Hirax. The New Age of Terror and the more recent Assassins of War E.P. are tops.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

hirax :kickass:

apparently led zeppelin is getting back together for a tour, i thought those cocksuckers really had hung up their codpieces for good. money talks.

Heh, JayK, are you referring to those really bad songs Black Sabbath did with Ozzy about nine years ago? I was thoroughly not impressed myself. I think Manilla Road definitely succeeded, and haven't had a chance to check out the new(ish) Brocas Helm.

It seems half the bands (Atheist and Emperor) just do a few special shows playing old materials, perhaps afraid of what new material would sound like? But then given how a lot of the music old bands put out sounds, I can see why. They all can't be Pagan Altar, can they?

Heh, JayK, are you referring to those really bad songs Black Sabbath did with Ozzy about nine years ago? I was thoroughly not impressed myself. I think Manilla Road definitely succeeded, and haven't had a chance to check out the new(ish) Brocas Helm.

It seems half the bands (Atheist and Emperor) just do a few special shows playing old materials, perhaps afraid of what new material would sound like? But then given how a lot of the music old bands put out sounds, I can see why. They all can't be Pagan Altar, can they?

1) If you like early Brocas Helm, you should love Defender Of The Crown. It's the best thing they've done, honestly.

2) Kelly Shaefer actually made a thread on the BW&BK forum back when they first got back together asking people what they would think about Atheist trying to put together another album. Most people gave the typical "DUUUUUUUR ATHEIST YEAH NU MUZIK YEAHHHH" responses, but a few (including myself) laid out an argument for not doing so if it didn't feel right, etc. He only made two posts: the initial post, and a :kickass: in response to my post. I think I'm singlehandedly responsible for Atheist not recording a new album. [/obvious sarcasm]

2) Kelly Shaefer actually made a thread on the BW&BK forum back when they first got back together asking people what they would think about Atheist trying to put together another album. Most people gave the typical "DUUUUUUUR ATHEIST YEAH NU MUZIK YEAHHHH" responses, but a few (including myself) laid out an argument for not doing so if it didn't feel right, etc. He only made two posts: the initial post, and a :kickass: in response to my post. I think I'm singlehandedly responsible for Atheist not recording a new album. [/obvious sarcasm]

If you can be arsed to do so, can you throw up a link to that thread, or copy and paste the postings in question?

I think it's probably deleted by now, that board does a lot of maintenance since it's really active.

I actually am glad they opted to not make a new album as I really don't believe they would make anything that would be enjoyable in light of their earlier (particularly their first two) full lengths. It seems a few bands just never quite find the same magic in songwriting after breaking up or dropping off the map. Then others somehow never lose it.

Get ready to have your face fucking STOMPED. :kickass:

CRY OF THE BANSHEE :kickass:
DEFENDER OF THE CROWN :kickass:
HELMS DEEP :kickass:
JUGGERNAUT :kickass:
TIME OF THE DARK :kickass:
SKULLFUCKER :kickass:
ETC. :kickass:

I think I'm going to play it now.

Apartment? WTF happened to your house?

I'm blasting Pale Folklore. If my neighbors do not like it, they can go find fucking jobs. Seriously, they're home 24-7 and do nothing but feed their three dogs which they pamper like children, and practice wind instruments for their monthly classical gala @ the Disney Hall for the musically uninspired. Fucking hippies.