Comic Book Dorks Unite!

I worked in a comic book store for a couple years and LOVED it (around the time when Spawn first came out - LOVED THAT ONE)

I was definitely a DC girl and big into Sandman.. I use to have a ton of comics but just held onto my Sandman issues, the Death's series, the Children's Crusade crossover, some Kiss comics and the Spawn #8 issue that Neil Gaiman wrote.. I liked Hellraiser but left the store before I completely got into it..

right now as far as new comics go Dynamite comics have a new Robocop series that is really great I just got the first 5 issues,
and also.
IDW has The X Files: 30 Days of Night new series that is really great for me anyway being a huge X Files fan

along with all the new stuff that is coming out that I'm looking into my alltime fav. Is Punisher 2099, if you haven't read it give it a shot.

I almost forgot Boom Comics is releasing a brand new Darkwing Duck series of comics that picks up right were the cartoon left off!! I grew up in the 90's so this is really great for me, I only have the first issue but from what I gather St. Canard law enforcment is robots so Darkwing had to retire, but now they need him again, so far so good can't wait to get the rest.

When it comes to comics, I think i'm always going to be a solid decade behind the times. Maybe i'm just a weenie and don't like to risk wasting my time reading a story that might suck, but I do think if a story can really withstand the test of time without seeming overly dated...then you've put together a completely fantastic piece of work.

I jsut started reading Preacher after finishing the Sandman, and it's been loads of fun. It reads like an action movie, even if it's not the most intellectually stimulating material out there. I tend to shy away from the mainstay series (X-men, DCU type stuff.)because they've been going on so damn long, with so many crossovers, reboots, retcons and upheavals, it's just too much crap to keep track of in my head and while I do like long stories, I also like them to have a definite beginning and end.

When it comes to comics, I think i'm always going to be a solid decade behind the times. Maybe i'm just a weenie and don't like to risk wasting my time reading a story that might suck, but I do think if a story can really withstand the test of time without seeming overly dated...then you've put together a completely fantastic piece of work.

I jsut started reading Preacher after finishing the Sandman, and it's been loads of fun. It reads like an action movie, even if it's not the most intellectually stimulating material out there. I tend to shy away from the mainstay series (X-men, DCU type stuff.)because they've been going on so damn long, with so many crossovers, reboots, retcons and upheavals, it's just too much crap to keep track of in my head and while I do like long stories, I also like them to have a definite beginning and end.

Preacher is brilliant. If you like that, you should give Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man a try.

I was a Marvel guy in the 80s and 90s, but the price of comic books got to me and I was starting to get sick of the direction of X-Men. (I left during Onslaught)

I've read a bit of Whedon's run on X-Men. I've also been reading JMS's run on Thor.

I was a Marvel guy in the 80s and 90s, but the price of comic books got to me and I was starting to get sick of the direction of X-Men. (I left during Onslaught)

I've read a bit of Whedon's run on X-Men. I've also been reading JMS's run on Thor.

I love JMS (<3 Babylon 5) but he keeps jumping ship in the middle of storylines :(

Also I have to give some good press for BOOM! for putting out INCORUPTABLE and IRREDEAMABLE. They are must readings for people who love classic comic book superhero stories with a nice twist. No spoilers but they both cover with what happens when the worlds greatest super hero turns villian.....and not like robbing banks....more like destroying whole countries and more. Basically it is a search to find out with what happened and why. INCORUPTABLE is a spin off book where one of the worst villians turns good because of something that happened when he met the hero gone mad. Mark Waid writes both and they both are really fun books.

Also I have to give some good press for BOOM! for putting out INCORUPTABLE and IRREDEAMABLE. They are must readings for people who love classic comic book superhero stories with a nice twist. No spoilers but they both cover with what happens when the worlds greatest super hero turns villian.....and not like robbing banks....more like destroying whole countries and more. Basically it is a search to find out with what happened and why. INCORUPTABLE is a spin off book where one of the worst villians turns good because of something that happened when he met the hero gone mad. Mark Waid writes both and they both are really fun books.

Irredeemable is a good one. It reminded me a bit of JMS's Supreme Power revamp.

i used to read TMNT before they screwed it up witht he v4 screwball story line that just sucked to hell...and then selling theproperty to Viacom...

I occasionally pick up Usagi Yojimbo, but with no shop nearyby..comics r hard to come by

I love JMS (<3 Babylon 5) but he keeps jumping ship in the middle of storylines :(

Just as long as he doesn't plagiarize. --Again. :lol:

My comics days are long over and I mostly collected specific titles of interest at the time (Comico's Robotech adaptations, Star Trek, some of Aircel's titles, etc.) I do pick up the occasional graphic novel or manga-style book to this day...most recently the "Return to the Labyrinth" and "Dark Crystal" tie-ins.

Just as long as he doesn't plagiarize. --Again. :lol:

My comics days are long over and I mostly collected specific titles of interest at the time (Comico's Robotech adaptations, Star Trek, some of Aircel's titles, etc.) I do pick up the occasional graphic novel or manga-style book to this day...most recently the "Return to the Labyrinth" and "Dark Crystal" tie-ins.

I actually picked up the first "Return to the Labyrinth" manga at the cheap manga booth at AnimeUSA. I haven't gotten to it yet. Also the people who did the "Dark Crystal" manga had a table set up marketing it.

(Yes, I read a lot of manga nowadays. What of it?)

I have to give a solid to Mike Mignola. I'm behind on "Hellboy," but Mignola is my favorite comics artist and a genuinely nice guy.

I rarely pick up single issues anymore, preferring to wait for the inevitable trade paperback compilations, as well as the occasional graphic novel. I love a lot of the early Vertigo stuff, like "Sandman," "Shade the Changing Man," and Grant Morrison's run on "Doom Patrol." I read "Fables" for awhile, and as Paul knows, I love "Scott Pilgrim." So basically stuff that looks interesting at any given time, or that was recommended to me.

I actually picked up the first "Return to the Labyrinth" manga at the cheap manga booth at AnimeUSA. I haven't gotten to it yet. Also the people who did the "Dark Crystal" manga had a table set up marketing it.

Both were pretty well done.

(Yes, I read a lot of manga nowadays. What of it?)

You and many others. At one point a few years ago, the printing of manga accounted for 10% of the entire printed-paper output of the island of Japan. :yow:

Both were pretty well done.

Just got around to reading the first "Return To Labyrinth" book. Haven't finished it yet, but it is pretty good so far. I'll be interested to see where it goes.

You and many others. At one point a few years ago, the printing of manga accounted for 10% of the entire printed-paper output of the island of Japan. :yow:

There is also a difference between how people treat manga in Japan and how we treat comic books. It is more of a disposable medium. It is also read by a larger percentage of the population and covers many subjects that you don't see with comic books.

Just got around to reading the first "Return To Labyrinth" book. Haven't finished it yet, but it is pretty good so far. I'll be interested to see where it goes.

After I finished it I think I posted on my website "It's as if a possible sequel to Labyrinth had been scripted and storyboarded." It would work pretty well, and there certainly is room for a Toby-related sequel.

There is also a difference between how people treat manga in Japan and how we treat comic books. It is more of a disposable medium. It is also read by a larger percentage of the population and covers many subjects that you don't see with comic books.

Yeah, the good news is, a large proportion of that 10% of paper probably DOES get recycled...in Japan, anyway. :)

After I finished it I think I posted on my website "It's as if a possible sequel to Labyrinth had been scripted and storyboarded." It would work pretty well, and there certainly is room for a Toby-related sequel.

There is, but the problem is, who would you get to play Jareth? Bowie was iconic in that role and he's probably too old to do it now.