Comic Book Dorks Unite!

I have been using the Marvel Unlimited app to catch up on Marvel stuff. The app is amazing for me since I read mostly DC, I don't mind waiting a few months to read the Marvel stuff. So i started reading Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers leading up to Infinity. I really like it, though I could see how Avenger's fans may not enjoy it. The scope of the story and the ideas are great, but it is not really an "Avengers" story. In fact, the Avengers seem secondary to the plot. I could easily take much of the plot and change it to A Justice League story (or many other comics). Since I don't have a deep devotion to the Avengers or Marvel at the moment, I am enjoying it for the story. I am only 2 issues into Infinity, so I will see how it goes from here.

Anyone else have any thoughts on his run?

Haven't seen this thread for a while!

I've been moving a bit more from Marvel and DC to independent comics; I've been making an effort to pick up #1s from, say Image and Vertigo, and then follow the series that seem good. Here are some I like a lot so far, that are in their first year (if not first few issues):

Trees, Spread, Caliban, Black Science, Bodies, Lazarus, Outcast.

Now that I have a tablet, I've been looking at digital comics, since I don't have the space or the money to spend on comics.

Actually, Humble Bundle has been helpful with this. While I haven't been interested in everything they have offered, they have had some interesting things.

This week is Valiant Comics. I'm interested in seeing the updated books, tho I didn't read Valiant back in the day.

Peter Parker got his body back
Woo-hoo
Doc Ock taking over Spider-Man's body sounds fucking awesome if you're doing it as a "freaky Friday" type story where every one grabbing the first issue already knows that Peter getting his body back will only take 6 months
But instead of doing it as an actual mini-series (with something like "part 1-of-5" written on the covers) they just pretended to have it be permanent and stretched it out to about 3 times the length that would have been awesome
Happy-as-hell Peter FINALLY got his body back

Doc Ock taking over Spider-Man's body sounds fucking awesome if you're doing it as a "freaky Friday" type story where every one grabbing the first issue already knows that Peter getting his body back will only take 6 months

If you think about it in the context of the entire history of Spider-Man, it's still just a blip. It seemed long for current readers because it took 2 years for the story to play out. But to someone reading it, say, 5 years from now by going through maybe 4-6 trades, it probably won't seem nearly as bad.

Recently, I read some older Incredible Hulk from the John Byrne era, during a period where Hulk was trapped in "the Crossroads" and ported mostly uncontrollably from place to place in the universe, even guided by a ball of sentient fuzzballs. For readers at the time, those couple of dozen issues must have seemed to go on forever. For me, reading it a decade or two later when it was all bundled in one graphic novel called, cleverly, "Crossroads", it went by pretty quick. It's all in the perspective, I guess.

Ken

Anyone else collecting digital comics?

I'm doing a mix. I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, so instead of following lots of Marvel titles, I'm pulling paper copies of my favorites (ASM, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Hulk), but then I'm able to go through older runs on lots and lots of other titles, and not worry so much about keeping up with current releases of so-so titles, since I can catch up on them later.

That also frees me up to put more money into following printed issues of releases from Image, and other more independent operations.

Ken

If you think about it in the context of the entire history of Spider-Man, it's still just a blip. It seemed long for current readers because it took 2 years for the story to play out. But to someone reading it, say, 5 years from now by going through maybe 4-6 trades, it probably won't seem nearly as bad.

Recently, I read some older Incredible Hulk from the John Byrne era, during a period where Hulk was trapped in "the Crossroads" and ported mostly uncontrollably from place to place in the universe, even guided by a ball of sentient fuzzballs. For readers at the time, those couple of dozen issues must have seemed to go on forever. For me, reading it a decade or two later when it was all bundled in one graphic novel called, cleverly, "Crossroads", it went by pretty quick. It's all in the perspective, I guess.

Ken

If they end up collecting all the appearances of Doc Ock in Peter's body, in correct reading order, in a giant omnibus, i'd be first in line to buy that, it just felt like forever while it was happening

Currently reading the second Uncanny X-Men Omnibus by Claremont/Byrne. They had so many great ideas - Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past - but this material doesn't exactly age well.

Funny, I had picked up the Days Of Future Past GN and you are right. A lot of that stuff hasn't aged well. (Just got done with the book of the X-Men and Dr Strange in Dante's version of hell. Makes one wonder if Claremont actually tried to speak the lines he wrote at times.)

A better time capsule story was The Iron Age, which involves Iron Man getting sent back in time after one of his enemies destroys the Earth. Forces Tony to confront some of his not-so-sterling past.

Also finished off Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe, which was a lot of fun.

I also picked up Avengers AI, which ended up being pretty good.

I've also read the new Guardians Of The Galaxy series through The Trial Of Jean Grey storyline. It kinda reminds me why Marvel annoys me at times, because the stories felt a bit disjointed and felt like I needed to read other books. (You did with the Jean Grey storyline, since it crossed over with All New X-Men.)

Funny, I had picked up the Days Of Future Past GN and you are right. A lot of that stuff hasn't aged well. (Just got done with the book of the X-Men and Dr Strange in Dante's version of hell. Makes one wonder if Claremont actually tried to speak the lines he wrote at times.)

A better time capsule story was The Iron Age, which involves Iron Man getting sent back in time after one of his enemies destroys the Earth. Forces Tony to confront some of his not-so-sterling past.

Also finished off Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe, which was a lot of fun.

I also picked up Avengers AI, which ended up being pretty good.

I've also read the new Guardians Of The Galaxy series through The Trial Of Jean Grey storyline. It kinda reminds me why Marvel annoys me at times, because the stories felt a bit disjointed and felt like I needed to read other books. (You did with the Jean Grey storyline, since it crossed over with All New X-Men.)

My Christmas haul included the latest Invincible and Walking Dead hardcovers, both of which were great. Right now I'm enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil run immensely.

The remainder of my Christmas presents arrived over the weekend from visits from my friends. I got "Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Lost Adventures" and Bryan Lee O'Malley's "Seconds"

I just got the Mark Millar Wolverine Omnibus yesterday and already tore through it. Great stories and killer artwork.

I am not a big fan of Millar (if he was 1/20th of the writer he thinks he is, he would be the best comic writer ever by a country mile), though his run on Wolverine was enjoyable. I was always a fan of Rucka's run on Wolverine. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Vol-Brotherhood-Greg-Rucka/dp/0785111360/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1420490351&sr=8-5&keywords=wolverine+rucka[/ame]

But then again I am a fan of most of Rucka's work (Punisher, Queen & Country, Batwoman and gotham Central)