comparison...ProSteel vs. Nickel plated steel

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
here is a little comparison of Pro Steels vs. regular nickel plated strings....
both strings were brand new and on the same bass....here are the raw DI tracks.

The difference is quite audible IMO..especially on the low string

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree....just finished recording the album of my own band with the nickel strings...started with them...had to finish with them..
I'm sure it'll still be alright though (hope)

I've got a set of 50-135 Pro Steels I had wanted to try sitting around waiting for the Ernie Ball on my bass to lose their life... might have to change them earlier than expected.

Man, I hate it when guys don't listen and brings nickels instead. There are only so many times you can insist on something before realizing the band actually want to achieve bad tones.

Nice test. Thanks for the proof!

Oh yes, the ProSteels are great! Never was a fan of GHS. Using ProSteels quite often on my basses, always recommending them to my clients.
Another great choice is DR Marcus Miller (stainless steel). A bit more expensive, but they have even richer, luxury tone.

PROSTEELS FTW!!! Marcus Miller DR Hi Beams (Stainless Steel) are also an EXCELLENT choice and probably my favorite of all...

Surprised at how big the difference is here. Nickels are much more "warm" sounding but the Steel's are much brighter and almost sound scooped next to the Nickels.

Anyone fancy doing a similar shootout for guitar strings?

after trying lots of stainless steel bass strings, I would recommend trying Rotosound, better than the Prosteels imo

Pro steels sound great there. Looking at them or a set of DR Lo-riders for my next set, those DR's are a good extra chunk of change though!

if you go with DR, get the Hi-Beams... the Lo-Riders are a bit more mellow and not nearly as clanky =D