Comparison Tubescreamer vs. Line6 "Screamer"-Model

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys...

has anyone ever tried to compare a real tubescreamer with Line6's model "Screamer"? I've got myself a new Pod X3 Live as a Multi-FX-unit and I'm kind of too overwhelmed what the Screamer does to my 6505-sound. I used a Boss SD-1 in the front of my amp before - that pedal did change my sound subtle but yet effective.

Now I tried to have everything in one box, so I used the screamer-model in front of my amp. The sound changed dramatically. Not really in a bad way - but more extreme, then I was used to with the Boss.

I can't compare the real-deal Tubescreamer to the Line6-model because of the lack of the real stomp-box haha.

Did some of you already compare the stomp with the model?

When I had my XT Live I did a slight comparison and decided to go with my actual TS-9. The modeled one on the XT/X3 is alright, it essentially has the same effect, but it's not exactly the same by any means.

~006

So, it's alright for live-usage and model and stomp have got more in common than the name, huh?
So, the SD-1 has more subtle effects, than the screamer, it seems. Well, I definitly keep the Boss for recording etc.

Thanks, mate

I think the reason you may feel the TS model has more of an effect is because you perhaps turned the level too high (as is often suggested) - I use a TS just for its eq effect, not as a "clean boost" as its so often (annoyingly) called, making sure that the volume of the background noise (with the volume up but muting the strings) is the same switching between TS on and TS off, which usually comes out to about 10:30 on the level. So try setting it that way, if you haven't already, and I think you'll find it's a bit more subtle. And I've found that the Pod TS simulation is actually quite accurate, though I feel it's a lot more nasal than the real thing.

I did a quick test with TS7 on TS9 mode and IMO they sound very close. The first take is the real TS and the second is the Line6 model with the same settings (Drive 20%, Gain 50%, Tone 50%). Both are using the same Gearbox patch, although the first take is obviously with the stomp model turned off. I like the Line6 one most because I love to track things DI clean and then tweak as I like it on Gearbox Plugin.

I did a quick test

I knew someone did it already. Me likes - sounds very close. Even more close than I expected.

You guys drive a digital unit like the pod with a tube screamer ?

Well, POD-intern you "drive" the digital model, yeah. But actually you do not "drive" the amp, you shape the sound via the EQ-like Tone-control on the screamer.

Live I use the POD as my effects-unit only. I connect it so that I can use the screamer in front of my 6505 (and other effects in front or after the 6505 preamp - 4-cable-method rocks). So now I can have all my stomp-boxes in one multi-fx-unit - at least for live-usage.

It's a great usb-interface as well. Versatile and sounds good.

Argh, i ment drive as in the sens that the guitar goes in to it before the amp/pod, i know how to use a tube sceamer don't worry, but i always find that it dosent work as well on pod's and SS amps than on a real tube amp. on the pod, the simulation sounds better. And i tried using JUST the tube screamer sim (everything else was off on the pod) and putting that in front of a real amp and it sounded pretty good, but i prefer the real TS-808

And I've found that the Pod TS simulation is actually quite accurate, though I feel it's a lot more nasal than the real thing.

I agree with metaltastic description...however i remember someone who made some impulses of a real TS (don´t rebember who or the model now, but THX to him for doing that:saint:) where that nasal character wasn´t there.
I prefer using those impulses to the pod´s TS

Argh, i ment drive as in the sens that the guitar goes in to it before the amp/pod, i know how to use a tube sceamer don't worry, but i always find that it dosent work as well on pod's and SS amps than on a real tube amp. on the pod, the simulation sounds better. And i tried using JUST the tube screamer sim (everything else was off on the pod) and putting that in front of a real amp and it sounded pretty good, but i prefer the real TS-808

I don't get it :D

Of course the TS-sim sits "between" my guitar and my preamp. And I think it sounds good on the POD-intern Amp's.
I use the POD's screamer to "drive" my real amp, too.

I i guess being drunk doesnt help...

I said, when i use my tube sceamer with my orange, it does what i want it to do, but if i put it in front of my pod, it's much harder for me to get that sound but much easyer if i use the pod's TS instead of mine !

And I tried using my pod as just a tube sceamer (turning all the amp modelling off), and using the pod as a tube sceamer in front of my amp for fun, and it sounded surprisingly good, but not as good IMO as the real TS.

I i guess being drunk doesnt help...

I said, when i use my tube sceamer with my orange, it does what i want it to do, but if i put it in front of my pod, it's much harder for me to get that sound but much easyer if i use the pod's TS instead of mine !

And I tried using my pod as just a tube sceamer (turning all the amp modelling off), and using the pod as a tube sceamer in front of my amp for fun, and it sounded surprisingly good, but not as good IMO as the real TS.

Aahhh, got it ;)