Tubescreamer Replica VS PODxt Simulation

dasbuchi

Mar 11, 2005
Germany
I did some soldering work and built a tubescreamer replica from generalguitargadegts.com.
But the tsreplica reacts totaly different than the simulation in my PODxt!!!
the PODscreamer changes the sound much more, while my replica is hardly noticeable at the typical ts settings from the sneap forum.

So to all of you, using the original sceramer in front of your POD: Is my tubescreamer not working right? or does it affect the sound not that much as the PODxt sim?

Let me start off by saying after owning an original TS-9, and then having it modded by Keeley, I can safely say that the emulation on the PODxt is not even close, to be perfectly honest. Not to say it's useless, it is handy in case you don't have an actual TS-9/808 to run in front of your PODxt because it does emulate the effect that the TS-9 creates...just not true to the real deal. But that can be said about any of their emulated sounds, including amplifiers and cabinets. I would say the truest models of anything in the PODxt are the mic models. Haha. The 5150II and Rectifier models aren't really close to the real thing, however when I had my PowerBall I could get extremely close results using the PowerBall model in the MetalShop pack...you could still tell the difference, but a lot of the qualities were there. Anyway, I'm getting off topic here.

Now that I've said that, the point behind using a TS or any other OD pedal in front of a hi-gain amp for metal stuff is to simply use it as a clean boost. This just makes the signal going to your amplifier's input a little hotter, theoretically making the tubes react a little differently. The point of that is to make the amp tighter, basically. TubeScreamers in general add a little warmth, basically just a midrange boost if you want to get as general as possible, and a little more grit to the sound.

If your home-made TS seems to not be working properly, I would check the schematics with your work and also have a voltage/multi-meter on hand to test connections. Also, I know this is silly, but is the battery in the pedal fresh? Sometimes it's the smallest and simplest things that are overlooked and cause problems.

To reference, using the same general settings that you have found on this forum, here are two clips. The first is my JSX without the Keeley modded TS-9 in front of it, and the second is with it.

Without TS-9

With TS-9

That's so you can hear what exactly the TS-9 is doing to the amplifier.

~e.a

Also, I know this is silly, but is the battery in the pedal fresh? Sometimes it's the smallest and simplest things that are overlooked and cause problems.

I´m running the pedal with an 9V adaptor, the voltage shouldn´t be the problem ;)

To reference, using the same general settings that you have found on this forum, here are two clips. The first is my JSX without the Keeley modded TS-9 in front of it, and the second is with it.

Thanx for the clips.
I think the question may be to, how does the TS affect digital devices?!?
The POD doesn´t have any tubes to drive, so maybe there is a problem, too.
I checked it out in front of my little practice amp, and the TS seems to work fine. I have no idea why the sound in front of the pod seems to be not that affected as I thought it should be :D
maybe I should give that line 6 stuff a kick and start safing money for the real mesa :lol:

Exact...dunno about that. What I've noticed about Line6 modeling in general, the tones are thin. I've even tried blending my PODxt with any of the real amps I have...the problem always disappeared once I muted the PODxt tracks and left only the real amp tracks playing. They just added a thin layer of fizz on top of a warm, organic, thick tube amp. You can get good results using just the POD, hell, I have. But in comparison with tracks I've re-done later with real amps, the POD tracks are lacking so much.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my PODxt Live to death and use it a LOT for stuff. However, I don't look at it as a modeler, persay, but rather just think of it as another set of tones I can use. The sounds aren't nearly as organic and thick as a real amp, even the ones it models. While they can get some great tones, I really have never thought the models were close to the originals. Like I said about my PowerBall and the Line6 model of it, I could get it really close, but you can tell the difference very easily.

I've even used my XTL for shows with my bands in the past. Direct into the P.A. and been complimented about my tone. Makes gigging a lot easier when you don't have to worry about a lot of things that come with using a real amp in a live situation. However, when I started using my 5150 again at one point I started getting compliments along the lines of "man, your tone before was nice, but now? Wow man." It was much more of a pain in the ass to bring a 5150 combo out to the gigs, but my live tone was a hell of a lot better for it. This was after tweaking constantly on the PODxt trying to get the best possible live tone from it. The 5150 just worked...

I've always been a hardcore Line6 user, we even sought out Line6 endorsements since both guitarists and the bassist were using POD units live and for our albums. We loved their stuff so much. I still do, but the difference is still huge, even with the latest technology.

It's just something tube amps have. Always have, always will. They sound different because of the tubes, and until there is a Line6 unit with tubes for pre and poweramp sections, they won't be able to perfectly emulate that sound.

Just my take on Line6 modeling and the real thing tho.

~e.a