concert lights

Don't you know, you're supposed to wear sunglasses indoors to look cool AND save your eyes.

glasses.jpg

why would the band want that, is the question im asking

Oh, well sometimes bands ask "can I get some lights so I can see the crowd" for a few seconds or whatever, that's what Glenn said was the case in the photograph. Not sure why they ask for that though, I guess they just like it.

well like, it wasnt bad at prog power, it was only for just a bit at prog power, see the concert i went to, i promise the light was like 10x as bad and flashing.

not only was it flashing, but it was flashing to the speed of the double bass (so you know that shit was fast as fuck) and it was throughout almost every bit of the entire set.

and in my mind, thats just ridiculous.

The lights weren't nearly as annoying for dimmu tonight as they were for Devildriver and unearth.

BTW. Dimmu Borgir and Kataklysm were excellent.

Didn't Glenn already say these pictures were from a point in the show when the band specifically asked for light on the audience?

He did say that, and maybe at some point a band asked for the lights. However, about 800 people will attest to the fact that the crowd reaction in this shot was reenacted hundreds of times during PPVII. I'm not in that crowd shot and I know I had the same reaction to those drum raiser spotlights all weekend long. As Pellaz so eloquently put it, "The glaring eye of Sauron."

I will also attest that the lights were troublesome at times at PP last year. Hopefully that will be fixed for this year. The people in my section were getting a bit ticked off about it.

If a band just wants to see the crowd, I'm cool with that. Although if I was the band and I saw what was in that picture I'd be less than happy with the crowd reaction.:)

And if that indeed happened on a regular basis last year, I'm glad I passed. Hopefully the lighting goes back to the way it was before. I found it to be superb at PPV and PPVI.

If a band just wants to see the crowd, I'm cool with that. Although if I was the band and I saw what was in that picture I'd be less than happy with the crowd reaction.:)

And if that indeed happened on a regular basis last year, I'm glad I passed. Hopefully the lighting goes back to the way it was before. I found it to be superb at PPV and PPVI.

it only happened just a little bit, it was annoying, but they didnt use it a shitload or anything, so people got over it quickly.

now if it was used during the entire concert, then that would not be cool in the least.

I'm kinda wondering if Kenso saw the same show we did, because....

The lights weren't nearly as annoying for dimmu tonight as they were for Devildriver and unearth.

....I agree with this completely. I don't remember too much strobe usage during Dimmu's set, and when they used them (only two, instead of the FIVE that were used during Unearth) they seemed to be used tastefully.

Unearth was unwatchable. I'd have liked to see Gene Hoglan playing the kit in his inimitable way, but flanked by five high-powered strobes, that were never off for longer than 60 seconds, I just quit bothering and closed my eyes.

I wanted to mention this to Gene after the show, but things got hectic out by the buses. Aside to Cheiron: I was talking business with Mustis about scoring a TV series...based on some books we've both read. :D

BTW. Dimmu Borgir and Kataklysm were excellent.

+1

I even bought a Kataklysm shirt to show my support. :headbang:

I'm kinda wondering if Kenso saw the same show we did, because....

....I agree with this completely. I don't remember too much strobe usage during Dimmu's set, and when they used them (only two, instead of the FIVE that were used during Unearth) they seemed to be used tastefully.

Unearth was unwatchable. I'd have liked to see Gene Hoglan playing the kit in his inimitable way, but flanked by five high-powered strobes, that were never off for longer than 60 seconds, I just quit bothering and closed my eyes.

I wanted to mention this to Gene after the show, but things got hectic out by the buses. Aside to Cheiron: I was talking business with Mustis about scoring a TV series...based on some books we've both read. :D

+1

I even bought a Kataklysm shirt to show my support. :headbang:

did yall go to the one at house of blues in new orleans?

cause, that one dimmu not only had that gay ass strobe, but they had that stupid dual quad light in the middle that just kept going and going, the strobe was super gay too though.

regardless who yall thought was worse, those stupid lights should not have been there.

Sorry, thought you were talking about the show here in Atlanta.

Anyway, here we go. Y'all turn your volume down to one-third before clicking, since the sound is predictably distorted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6mDlikc9k ("The Insight and the Catharsis") --Looks like a normal amount of stage lighting to me, and not too much strobe until the end....but hell, this was the last song of their set before the encore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IcC9692lUU ("A Succubus In Rapture") --Here again, a tasteful usage of lighting and no annoying continuous strobe. If only Unearth had gotten THAT memo!