condenser mic

Nope use the 58
Screams sound better with a dynamic mic IMO. On legend I used a 58, same with a lot of other demos. TSOATS is all sm7 which is also a dynamic mic. I recommend the sm7 over a condenser mic for screams any day.

Try both.

See which one sounds best.

Then use that one.

I've recorded screamers with everything from a Telefunken to an SM58. Some guys will sound better an a $100 mic than a $3000 one.

to all: O rly?
SM58 sounds best so far. but I'm gonna try using both, alot of my friends say they use 2 diff mics in the proffesional studio.
Im gonna try holding the sm 58 and having the condenser on a few feet in front of me, and see if i can mix it pretty good.
thanks for input!

Nope use the 58
Screams sound better with a dynamic mic IMO. On legend I used a 58, same with a lot of other demos. TSOATS is all sm7 which is also a dynamic mic. I recommend the sm7 over a condenser mic for screams any day.

wot about an ol' SM57?

to all: O rly?
SM58 sounds best so far. but I'm gonna try using both, alot of my friends say they use 2 diff mics in the proffesional studio.
Im gonna try holding the sm 58 and having the condenser on a few feet in front of me, and see if i can mix it pretty good.
thanks for input!

The best way to test two mics is to put their capsules as close to each other as possible pointing the same way (in this case, at your face). If you put the other mic that much further away, it's going to have way much more room ambiance and less proximity effect (basicly, less low end) and therefore sound a lot different and propably unsuitable in this case. Always when recording "in-your-face" vocals, you should try and have the mic as much in your face as possible as well.

About condenser vs dynamic, as said, it has much to do with the voice you're recording. Metal vocals are propably more often recorded with a dynamic mic than any other genre of music, but as often with a condenser still. Remember to use a pop-filter!

wot about an ol' SM57?
SM57 is pretty much the same mic with a different grill. Take the grill off of a 58 and you won't recognize it from a 57. Their specs are pretty much the same, sound is very slightly different because of the cushioned grill of the 58.