Condenser opinions

Radd

Self Portrait
Jul 19, 2005
NJ
www.soundclick.com
I just won the Randall iso cab from ebay (wish me luck with that, I may need it) so I'm probably gonna have to get a condenser for it. I'll also want to use it for clean vocals. Besides the fact that they use phantom power, I don't really know anything about them.

Here is what I am considering:

MD421 $350
AT4033 $400
AT 4040 $300
Studio Projects B1 $120
Studio Projects C1 $240

Leaning towards the MD421.
I know EX had very good results with that one as well as the 4033 so that's my starting point reference.
I understand that older models of some of these may be better than the new ones. Is that true and if so, which ones and why?
Other than that I'm just curious of what you guys think about these mics?
Then again it may be hard to give advice because we are dealing with an iso cab. :erk: Oh well, I'll post this anyway.

The MD421 is a dynamic mic, FWIW.

I just went through this debate, and have decided to go with the AT4040. General consensus is that it's damned close enough to the 4033 to save 100 bucks, and can be had for 200-250 on eBay.

I don't know why I thought it was a condenser. Maybe because I'm a MORON!
Thanks for the insight DSS3. Also while I'm at it, thanks for indirectly turning me on to "Dismounting Devolution" & "Pitch Black Progress". At least I think it was you that had given them high praises on more than one occasion. Good stuff.

I got a set of AT3035s for 200 bucks and if the at4040 is as good as i hear then I'm sure you'll crap yourself once you get it \m/

You know, for the cheapest mic in the lineup there, I have an SP B1 and I haven't found many things to fault it on yet. Fantastic on rocky guitar cabs, pretty good on male vocals too. Might not be so hot on a chuggier guitar tone though.

Actually, DSS3, I owe you one too after checking those albums out. I'm much more into Dismantling Devotion than Pitch Black Progress, but those were certainly worth a listen and I can't blame you for plugging them.

On topic, I've also heard a lot about the Studio Projects B1, so I'll be checking one out myself before too long.

Jeff

Fuck that. Natural Born Chaos - great production, amazing songs, nothing 'watered-down' about it. Maybe you could say that about FNF or STD... but that's about it.

Despite the 421 being a dynamic, I'd say that one would win were it not for the vocals.

Jeff

In all honesty, I don't really like Pitch Black Progress. It's like watered down Soilwork. :lol:

Really? It doesn't strike me as at all watered down, I do hear a huge influence, but to me it seems a little more complex and heavy, like the opposite of watered down. To each his own. :)

im trying to decide on the studio projects b1 and the at3035. I'd be using it for mostly male clean vox and screaming, which one would you pick? This isn't a big deal but it would be cool if anyone knows how either of these would sound in a stereo pair for drum oh's?

Jordan

im trying to decide on the studio projects b1 and the at3035. I'd be using it for mostly male clean vox and screaming, which one would you pick? This isn't a big deal but it would be cool if anyone knows how either of these would sound in a stereo pair for drum oh's?

Jordan

Ken from Abigail Williams did his EP with the AT3035 on vox, and I think it sounds amazing. :headbang:

Matter of taste. I've used it several times on vocals. Cut some low end, add some hi end, voilá, nice warm vocals. No need for a de-esser at all.

I do that with all vox. And hardly ever use a de-esser either. I think the ribbon mic thing is kind of a trend. Cool for special flavors and whatnot, but not really for everyday vocal recordings. Not for me, anyway.

I do that with all vox. And hardly ever use a de-esser either. I think the ribbon mic thing is kind of a trend. Cool for special flavors and whatnot, but not really for everyday vocal recordings. Not for me, anyway.

I wasn't aware of the trend aspect. For me it was a revelation to get the ribbon "sound" into the digital world.