Confusing format now...

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hey, I know it's pretty self-explanatory with the subforums now, but what exactly would the main forum here be used for? I wanted to ask what kind of monitors were the best to get that sound true but aren't too expensive, but I don't know whether monitors would count as equipment or accessories or what... I mean, you don't really equip them or really touch them, you just kinda hang them there..

I don't really want to skimp on quality but I would like to only spend perhaps $100 or so - I know saying such a thing is totally retarded of me, since more money usually = more quality... Just looking for an affordable set that sounds true. Please help me out here. :)

Way to low. Moniters are what some would argue the most important element in your chain. There is no sense in having a great mic-pre if you can't hear the damn thing.

Agreed with all the guys, it's a very low budget.
The only thing that comes to mind, that has nothing to do with a proper pair of studio monitors is the M-Audio Studio3, I bought those cause I can't spend more than 300 on a proper ones, and well, they sound better than computer speakers, but try to mix on them! :lol:
I had to buy the behringer truths in order to not get bankrupt, they're fine, but if I had been a little more realistic in first place, I'd have some KRK's and been happy since day one.
Just my opinion ;)

If you're dead set on a $100 limit, you might even be better off just getting a good set of headphones and then reference checking mixes on anything you can - car stereos, boomboxes, whatever.

That being said, I can't stress enough the importance of a decent set of at least mid-priced monitors. I have a set of Tannoy actives that set me back a few hundred but are bang-for-the-buck. All my studio gear is probably what would be considered in the semi-pro category (RNC's, Fireface, DMP3, US-2400, etc) but if I was to push for the next level of quality, the first piece of gear I would upgrade is my monitors.

If you're dead set on a $100 limit, you might even be better off just getting a good set of headphones and then reference checking mixes on anything you can - car stereos, boomboxes, whatever.

That being said, I can't stress enough the importance of a decent set of at least mid-priced monitors. I have a set of Tannoy actives that set me back a few hundred but are bang-for-the-buck. All my studio gear is probably what would be considered in the semi-pro category (RNC's, Fireface, DMP3, US-2400, etc) but if I was to push for the next level of quality, the first piece of gear I would upgrade is my monitors.

Well said and solid advice.

Honest I checked around and if you looking for something that is halt-way decent then you should be looking in the 500 dollar range. This is considering the fact you would want active 8". Now if you by chance had an amp you can go with passives and get fairly good quality speakers. Or you can get a smaller speaker 5/6" and learn to deal with the lack of bass.

There's a point.....one of the key considerations with monitors is passive + power amp vs active monitors. With passives the amp choice is just as big as what monitors you choose.

I'd basically be using them for playback and mixing, don't know what you're saying about amps and stuff...

The "I don't know what you're saying about amps and stuff..." coment he made seems like he doesn't really know what he's buying. I know it came across a bit harsh, and in hindsight I could have said it a bit nicer, but if you don't know what you're buying, then save the money untill you do know what you're getting your self into.
I mean, if he's looking at monitors, and has been posting here for a while, and he does not yet know that they come in active and passive types, then he could really do some more research into them before hand, instead of just ask people here and take their word for it.

I do appologise if Oinkness, or anyone else found it offensive, but i'm giving the advice as someone who went and bought equipment a few years ago, before knowing such facts about the different types of equipment. Such purchases have been a slight regret, now that I do know what I could have spent the money on instead.