Confusing live setup. Need advice, very long post!

solarcollapse

New Metal Member
Oct 23, 2012
Hey guys. I've lurked over this site for years and finally can't get enough information from the mounds of previous posts.

I play in a two-piece band that we started about 8-9 months ago. It would be in the realm of Alternative metal, with a lot of clean vocals, which is my first foray in to this territory after an 8 year stint of only screaming in my previous band.

The two-piece is a drummer and myself doing vocals while playing guitar in a split signal, running one directly to my dual rectifier cranked into a recto 4x12 cab and the other half of the signal to an octave pedal which then runs into a 500 watt bass amp connected to a 6x10. We've played 5 shows so far and have gotten many compliments on my tone and that it sounds very full and they can't believe it's just two people. It is very loud for what it is.

I think this is where the problem begins. I think we're often too loud as I can rarely hear my vocals. This being very problematic now that I sing cleanly and have to be in key. Aside from that, perhaps an even bigger problem is, we get way out of sync sometimes, as I can't hear the drums very well and somehow, the drummer can't hear me either, even though I'm deafly loud.

This has been the situation at all 5 gigs we've done so far. The best we could hear was in a very small bar where the PA was used only for vocals, the worst being in a mid level bar that made me DI my octave pedal straight into the board (retarded) and gave basically no monitoring.

We are currently recording and after much deliberation due to costs, I am going with an Eleven Rack over an Axe Fx or Kemper at the moment. It will be here in a few days. After reading much about Animals as Leaders and Periphery going the direct route and using powered FRFR speakers to monitor, I'm considering this myself to replace my rig. What I have planned in my mind is proving difficult for me to sketch out as a usable solution though.

I would like to stay easy on the cash right now and go with 2 Alto powered 12" FRFR's one for myself and one for the drummer. I would like to run the Eleven rack to the foh and to both my and the drummers frfr. Now the tricky part comes in. Though we have a very full sound the way we currently play, I'm feeling very bogged down in creativity, as the bass always follows the guitar, so after I pressure and talk the drummer into playing to backing tracks with a click, I would need to also send that to the frfr's. I would figure on the left being the backing track with click and the right being just the backing track for the foh. Through the frfr's I'd also like the vocals, basically cutting the soundman out of the equation as we've been screwed over almost every show so far by every one of them.

I have a Behringer Xenyx 802 that could handle all of that. So finally my question is: Supposing I'm not worried about the click track coming through the monitor and bleeding to the audience, can I send a DI from my Eleven rack, my split mono backing track from an ipod, and my vocals into my Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer then output the eleven rack, left mono backing track with clicks, and vocals to my two frfr's on stage and send the eleven rack, right mono backing tracks with no clicks, and vocals to foh, thus eliminating the soundman and getting the mix that we have on stage outputted to the foh?

I apologize for this being overly long, possibly very stupid, and most likely more complicated than needed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sounds to me like you need to turn down and place your guitar amp behind the drummer so he can hear it. If you're so loud you can't hear the drums then you are definately playing too loud.

Also I'd be careful with the level of the bass amp as if thats very loud on stage it's gonna muddy up the sound for both yourself and the drummer by filling it with low end.

I wouldn't recommend you mixing the stuff on a small desk and giving it to the FOH guy with no options. You have to trust that they'll make it sound good out front. It's their job and you simply can't judge how to make things sound good out front from onstage. I've seen bands try to do this kind of thing before in my job as a live sound engineer and I've never seen a band come out sounding better as a result.

The other option I think would be to hire a guy to do FOH at all your gigs.