Considering selling an item on ebay....

yo,

im contemplating putting my Saxophone up for sale on ebay, as there seems to be no interest from just listing it on forums.

is there anything i need to watch out for like hidden fees or other mad shit?
or is it as simple as just posting it up, doing the transaction and sending it off?

this will be the first and probably last time i'll be selling on ebay so i don't know what to expect.

any pointers?

Nothing too crazy or insidious about it, but basically the rule of thumb is expect to lose 10% of the final sale price to fees (~7% from the end-of-item fee, based on the selling price of the item, and then 3% from the "receiving a paypal payment" fee, though you may be able to dodge that by making the buyer send payment as a gift, though that probably forfeits a lot of the buyer's protection, which they may not be cool with - however, what they don't know can't hurt 'em :heh: )

Besides the fees though, I've sold tons of shit on ebay, and honestly, for the size of the audience you reach by doing it, 10% really isn't so bad IMO! (or to put it another way, there's not a goddamn thing I can do about it :Spin: )

Thanks man,

thats exactly what i was looking for.

the model of Sax that im selling goes for about £600 new on ebay, so im thinking of selling mine as a "buy it now" for about £300 or so.

when selling as a normal auction, what are the rules like for setting a reserve?
if i were to do an auction i would want to set the reserve pretty high, as im not interested in losing money on this thing :)

Honestly, as someone who does just as much buying as selling on the 'bay, I would really recommend making it a fixed-price listing rather than an auction - I know when I'm buying I ALWAYS go for the buy-it-now things so I don't have to deal with the bidding war/countdown/sniping/etc. (unless I feel like I can get a seriously good deal on something), and thus I always list all my items as fixed-price (that, and the fact that you can make the duration of a fixed-price listing up to 30 days for no extra charge). And you can choose to enable the "best offer" option (and set price thresholds for automatically accepting or denying offers), but I've kinda shied away from that recently, because people will almost always take advantage of that to try to haggle the balls off you :lol:

Actually, I've been wanting to buy a sax for a while, so while I know you weren't up for a forum list I might be interested. Send details through PM if you'd like.

Jeff

Actually, I've been wanting to buy a sax for a while, so while I know you weren't up for a forum list I might be interested. Send details through PM if you'd like.

Jeff

hey bud, i have it listed in the gear for sale section on here :

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/gear-sale/560858-alto-saxophone-sale-aberdeen-scotland.html

she's a sexy little beast of an instrument,
i just straight-up don't have the time or the space to practice anymore, and won't have for the forseeable future, so im gonna let it go to someone who will appreciate it,
plus i need money for a new interface.

if you're up for it, talk to me in a PM about it.

i can also supply pics of the few blemishes if you like.