Console/Control Surface?

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
i am getting really sick of mixing with a mouse and would love to have something with actual faders. i also need 8 additional pres for drum spot/room mics so if that was included it would be a bonus. i am very open to used gear as long as i can get it to work with PT 10 without too much trouble and the maintenance cost is not excessive.

any good options under $1000?

yes, i have used the ipad app before. it is cool for a remote solution but i really want something with physical knobs and faders for the home studio.

i am thinking that a used tascam us 2400 or a mackie d8b might be the best option for what i am looking for. any other ideas?

edit: scratch that, looks like the mackie d8b doesnt work with pro tools. any other suggestions similar to the tascam us 2400?

I am not in any rush to upgrade to pt11 so hopefully that stuff will get sorted soon. It seems like the mackie mcu would be the safe choice but it is hard to pass up the 24 faders on the tascam 2400 for $600-700. I can imagine mixing drums with 12-14 tracks would get really annoying with only 8 faders at a time.

also have a look at your economics.. the mackie mcu is very huge, do you have place for that in front of your screen on the desk?
i rather would go into a more slim design like avid artist mix units, but those are very expensive :(

the tascam us 2400 doesnt look as huge as the mackie mcu so it could be a good choice

The tascam was discontinued like 5 years ago so I wouldn't expect anything to get sorted there.
Here are a couple of observations based on working a d-command for a year:
1. flying faders make noise. It's not a lot but they do and if you automate everything it can get distracting.
2. you can't really ride more than one thing at a time. Yes there are exceptions but most of the time you'll be working on one fader.
3. I still end up editing my automation with a mouse.
4. The clients are much more impressed with it than I am. If it were a real console that put EQ in front of me I'd love it but I really do use it as a big mouse. It's enormous but I get exactly the same amount of functionality (in my workflow) from the artist mix.
YMMV.

Since the release of PT11, you can get a Command 8 for dirt cheap on eBay or CL.
It works well with versions prior to PT11.

No pres though.

i know this has been discussed to death elsewhere on teh internetz, but does anyone have an opinion on a digi command 8 vs. a mackie MCU? i am on PT 10.

i know this has been discussed to death elsewhere on teh internetz, but does anyone have an opinion on a digi command 8 vs. a mackie MCU? i am on PT 10.

Command 8 is not officially supported in PT11, so if you plan to upgrade down the line, there's a chance it won't work. The Mackie Control can at least use HUI and Mackie Control protocols, so even if Pro Tools doesn't support it anymore, other DAWs are likely to still support it, so it's not completely useless.

Command 8 is not officially supported in PT11, so if you plan to upgrade down the line, there's a chance it won't work. The Mackie Control can at least use HUI and Mackie Control protocols, so even if Pro Tools doesn't support it anymore, other DAWs are likely to still support it, so it's not completely useless.

funny, right after you posted this i found an MCU in mint condition for $200. very happy with the purchase so far, although it is annoying that if i want to extend it i will probably spend double that on the extender or C4 module.

i LOVEEEE our Mackie Control Universal.

Did the ghetto overlay method and gaffed off all the labels under buttons and turned them to the Steinberg functions, haha

I've tried all kinds of control surfaces and they just don't fill that urge to mix physically. They're clunky and expensive for something a mouse can do. Do you know how many good consoles are out there at your price point? Maintenance yes, but it's minimized by buying a console with issues NOT above what you can handle, if any issues. For $150 I got a very nice and expensive Wheatstone console that just needed a deep clean. Now, I mix for real at a total cost of way under $500 total.
1239845_10153299220880055_472983822_n.jpg