Constructive criticism wanted - demo recording

Well this is certainly alot better than the demos that are made around here. There is something muffled about the sound though. It's like the recording doesn't 'breathe' well in the highs, if you know what I mean. The cymbals seem drowned out by the guitars too. And while on that, the guitars lack alot of punch.

Other than that, I'd say it's damn good for a demo.

Needs more meat... more ass end. Sounds like you rolled off the highs a tad too much. Cool song though. My .02

sounds like maybe you made too much room for the bass in the mix. awesome song though, really good, so far at least, still listening...snare has lots of lows...weird, it sounds like it's missing a lot of low end, yet my hands can feel the speakers' vibrations and its at low volume...

very cool song.
the short sequence where you can a hear a girl screaming: like that, nice .....

sound is pretty decent for a demo. I heard less good sounding (not demo) CDs last week, but I agree. Check for some more highs on drums and guitars.

I really, really like it. Other than the abovementioned need for a little more high end, I think that the drums could be brought down a little bit, and the vocals brought up. I really like that low snare sound? If you could give some details on the recording, that would be real interesting to read. Quality stuff.

Thanks to all of you for your criticism - I'm definately going to work on the high end a little bit more.

As for the recording, it was done on a soundcraft desk into a fostex D2424 harddiskrecorder. The tracking room is SO awful, it really sucks. That really kills the drumsound and the cymbals. So I'll usually filter the low end of the OH's out - up to 500-600 hz (that takes away a lot of the room's sound). The bass was recorded through a rectifier, with just a little gain. I've compressed the snare rather heavy, but that's mostly because the drummer is very unstable - and if i want to hear every hit, that's the way to go. Afterwards, I transferred the drumtracks to my computer, and used drumagog on the kick and snare - and then I removed everything but the toms from the tom-tracks - just to kill the room sound.

As a general, the studio is okay - not flashing, but what can you expect, when it only costs 15 USD a day???? :tickled:

The band is called Descensus...if anyone needed to know....