Controllerkeyboards? Advice needed!

decoys

Mar 16, 2009
Germany - Munich
Which ones are you using (if you use those at all :p)?
I wanna have something like the Novation Nocturn, M-Audio Axiom or Cakewalk A-800 ... all models are pretty similar I guess.
The Axiom felt good in the store though ... but the nocturn has this handy quick editing mode for plugins and such. :/
opinions are more then welcome!

Which ones are you using (if you use those at all :p)?
I wanna have something like the Novation Nocturn, M-Audio Axiom or Cakewalk A-800 ... all models are pretty similar I guess.
The Axiom felt good in the store though ... but the nocturn has this handy quick editing mode for plugins and such. :/
opinions are more then welcome!

A while back I was looking into the Cakewalk A-800 (61 keys) as a replacement for my Edirol PCR-300 (32 keys) - the controller layout is very similar to the Edirol unit and I had read some good reviews, in the end however I decided to wait until I found a full 88 key unit that I liked. I really want the full octave range of an 88 key unit for my home use. I had a friend recommend the Akai MPK88 unit, but I've yet to go try one out.

I have the M-Audio Axiom Pro 49. Love it for the most part. Actually has a lot more features than I need out of a midi keyboad, but I like the way the keys feel, and the drum pads and such can be of some use.

oxygen 61. it works. the keys feel worse than my generic yamaha psr-225gm's and i'd need to upgrade to cubase 5 to make use of its instant-mapping mixer connectivity stuff, so right now i'm not really using it to its fullest.

Nocturn is much better than the Axiom series IMO. Automap is fucking great. You also get V-Station and Bass station VSTs for free which I use often.
I don't like the drum pads though, partly because of the layout, partly because of feel.

I'd love to try one of these http://www.akaipro.com/mpk49

hell, those akai looks sexy. but its too expensive for my actual budget, too.
but as most of you already said, i doubt that you may ever need all the features in those units. i am no pianoplayer by any means, but i guess 49 keys should be the minimum right?

I have one of those little oxygen 8 keyboard controllers but it doesn't control much of anything because I fucking suck with midi and can't understand it and can't get it to work and its cold out and the fucking wolves are chasing me

That's why Automap Pro is fucking tits.
Push learn on the keyboard. touch a control in the synth or fx (must be automap wrapped), touch a knob on the controller. DONE.
Want it moved to a different knob? Drag & Drop. Done.
No menus or having to remember CC#s.

It also has a HUI mode.

The speed knob is great. turn it to move whatever control the mouse is hovering over. Push and turn to change the presets.

My 88 key is a the keystation 88 pro so pretty much identical to the axiom series minus the pads and + a fuck load more rotary encoders. But I never fucking bother mapping the rotary encoders because meh, don't wanna and don't like how they work.

The transport functions were worth doing though. I think mapping in cubase is fucking stupid easy, but that's because I took a moment to try and learn it via looking around online. :lol:

That said, all of the novation nocturn stuff looks mint.

And yeah, I would go a min of 49 key. 25 is awkward to play anything more than simple lines at a time.

yep, I thought of getting just a midikeyboard, but why not getting the extra buttons and such at the same time ...
the easyness of use is very important for me, hell, I even struggle when making a template with my korg nanokontrol.
I watched all the nocturn videos on youtube yesterday and automap concept looks quite perfect for a midi-noob like me.
otherwise, maybe I can score a used axiom on ebay though ... :/

I use an AKAI LPK25 its just a little 2 octave 25 key controller. I just use it for programming drums really. For $50 new I couldn't beat it. Just plugs in via USB and it works. No setup BS.

The Axiom's are really nice. Eventually I will upgrade, but for now this is perfect.