Converge?

The_Isle

Jun 11, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Ok yea they're metalcore and yes their lyrics are about relationship breakups but I don't hear any of the gothenburg influence that is so much criticised of metalcore.

As far as I understand it they are closer to true hardcore, but whatever, I find their spastic discordant riffing effective somehow. opinions?

The_Isle said:
Ok yea they're metalcore and yes their lyrics are about relationship breakups but I don't hear any of the gothenburg influence that is so much criticised of metalcore.

As far as I understand it they are closer to true hardcore, but whatever, I find their spastic discordant riffing effective somehow. opinions?

Well, they're one of the bands that kinda leaned back towards the hardcore side after "metalcore" became a naughty word (as opposed to, say, Shadows Fall, who went more the metal route). I initially had trouble tolerating them due mainly to the fact that 3 or 4 years ago they seemed to give birth to a million awful clones. But Jane Doe is a decent album in its own right when I actually sit and listen to it now.

i personally hate em....but 'Dead' is a good song, (on their album 'Petitioning The Empty Sky'). This is irrelevant, but they have really good album art, :loco:

Scourge of Malice said:
Converge is awesome. Highly reccomend their last two albums!

YES! Though it should read last four albums.

They have more in common with Botch and (early) Cave In than Dillinger but sometimes the sheer head-caving force of their music draws comparisons with the newer, more grind influenced metalcore bands like Ion Dissonance and Crowpath. They also have a knack for mixng in unusual slower songs that have a tortured doom/sludge feel to them.

The Broken Vow off Jane Doe

Necro Joe said:
YES! Though it should read last four albums.

They have more in common with Botch and (early) Cave In than Dillinger but sometimes the sheer head-caving force of their music draws comparisons with the newer, more grind influenced metalcore bands like Ion Dissonance and Crowpath. They also have a knack for mixng in unusual slower songs that have a tortured doom/sludge feel to them.

The Broken Vow off Jane Doe
QFT!