converting vocals in midi notes with melodyne

hoehlentroll

Mar 15, 2007
Mannheim, Germany
is it possible to convert vocals in midi notes with melodyne? my goal: humming a tune --> recording it --> melodyne shows the notes and puts out a midi file --> I can use the midifile with any vsti.
does that work? or is there a programm that is capable of doing it?

Sorry to hijack a bit here, but could you expand on this at all?
I haven't really had a good time since moving from Sonar/PC to DP/Mac.

Something about DP's summing and/or pan laws is fucked up and wrong. Mixes simply don't sound as good. This has been explored to death on GearSlutz and other forums. The MOTU loyalist community is in denial about it, but ultimately there is no refuting the fact that DP is mired in a slew of bugs that are second to none in the industry, this happening to be the most outwardly visible/audible bug among the swarm. DP mixes simply sound clogged, lifeless, and mono-esque compared to the mixes coming out of any other application, even the (sort of) free Reaper.

I left DP a few months ago after 10 years of loyalty because the truth of the flawed mix engine became more and more apparent to me over time. No other program on the market has this problem. Go with any app you like honestly, and use DP for its good points if you want (the pitch correction rivals Melodyne), just don't mix in DP, or your mixes will never sound as good as anyone else's! I know that sounds absurd but it is true.

I myself explored Logic and ended up the spending the last couple of months in Pro Tools M-Powered of all things, but now I have ordered Cubase and I am pretty sure it will be the platform I stick with for the long haul. I will post my results soon, of course.

But back to MOTU - they refuse to comment on this issue and have been outwardly hostile to anyone who asks about it, including their loyal customers. Classic response from MOTU, they are jerks, and I no longer support them. Their primary business is hardware and budget virtual instruments these days anyway, Digital Performer will soon become bundleware.

From the website:
"With Melodyne, you transform audio into MIDI so exactly that every nuance of pitch, timing and volume is retained. Replace or double instruments with synthesizers. Control a sampler with vocals. Acoustic fuses with electronic."

Logic can do this also! But it's mac only.