Cool guitar videos

-Have you ever actually heard Autumn Leaves?
Yes - countless versions, from my dad playing it on piano to Joe Pass's horrific molestation
-Did you actually watch the full performance?
No, I already said in my last post i watched about a minute and a half.

-I'm pretty sure Autumn leaves doesn't have inversions written in the real book
No, it doesn't but I can't name a song I've learned from it that does, however, most of his inversions appear to be using open strings as the bass note, which I would consider an adaption due to constraints rather than taste

And as for him doing it all on the spot, I just really don't think thats the case, I think a great deal of preperation has gone into that performance, i think the time he played that in practice the afternoon before the performance it wouldnt have sounded much different. it sounds nice but its not groundbreaking or inhuman.

Well, you really should watch the whole performance before commenting on it ;). Having heard different versions of his performance of that tune...yes they do differ. The preparation he puts into things like that is not much different (if at all) than what any other player would put into improvising single note melodies over a song.

A lot of tunes in the real book have inversions indicated (note...I don't mean figured bass symbols, but rather indications of bass note)...so I'd be very surprised if have not seen them in there, having studied from it to any extent.

No offense (there simply isn't a sugar coated way to put this...sorry), but if your summation of that video is

*sorry...clicked the submit button too soon*

No offense (there simply isn't a sugar coated way to put this...sorry), but if your summation of that video consists "most of his inversions appear to be using open strings as the bass note, which I would consider an adaption due to constraints rather than taste" and "it sounds nice but its not groundbreaking or inhuman.", then I think you really need to sit down and listen again. The open strings comment is just wrong....not a matter of interpretation or opinion, just an incorrect statement. Furthermore, to say anything he was doing there was due to constraint is, well...wrong, again. I do agree with your comment that it sounds nice:lol:. About being groundbreaking or inhuman...I don't expect his playing to blow everyone's mind nor does it offend me when it doesn't, but let's be serious here. Very few musicians have as deep of an understanding of harmony, voice leading, improvisation, etc. as Ted did. That number can be reduced even more drastically when you narrow it down the the people who can/could apply all that in real-time to any tune, on the spot. And to Ted...it wasn't some massive undertaking each time...he had such a mastery over this stuff that it could be equivocated to what playing open G, C, and D chords is for some people. None of this is to start a pissing contest btw, and if I'm coming off as aggressive in this issue then I apologize...it certainly isn't my intent.

Also, out of curiosity, what recording did you listen to that made you think Joe Pass horrificly molested Autumn leaves? Maybe we shouldn't talk about that...I don't know if the forum's bandwidth can handle extended discussions on Joe Pass AND Ted Greene in the same day:lol:

Side note...I just realized how much I kept referring to Ted in the present tense...oops:erk: