Cool guitar videos

My only beef with Brett is that while he's an amazing player he's not someone I listen to a full album of. Great playing, but his tunes just don't do it for me most of the time. His records are still well worth listening too, both for his playing and TJ's though.

Yeah, Tom Quayle is the man. He's definitely got some Howe in him. I just wish the Guitar Idol crowd/judges had either A) not bothered with him in the first place, since he's clearly not what they were looking for stylistically or B) been a bit more varied in their tastes.

I definitely agree about some his solo/Quid Pro Quo stuff. Still really good, though. They just take many listens to get used to.

Have you checked out Derek Sherinians first solo CD Planet X, Planet X - Quantum or any of the Uncle Moe's Space Ranch albums? His playing is jaw dropping on those.

Yep, I've heard all of those (I don't own quantum yet...have listened to it about 3 or 4 times though). I prefer him in settings such as those, as I do love his playing. A lot of his own music just really doesn't do it for me though. I find mysef skipping around to the solos and passing over the rest. I think I'm always going to be partial to his playing on Centrifugal Funk since that was my first introduction to him (and Lane, and Gambale for that matter).

What tone ! and extremely stylish, most awesome headstock ever

What do you figure that middle neck is ? 12 or 14 string ?

gotta love open tunings

Ive got a few I really like I'll share them with you guys

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=S2Ju5OX80Fc[/ame]
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dz3hpwKTB3I[/ame]
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_fm-z59cA1U[/ame]
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5agf9bHfmMM[/ame]

enjoy :headbang:

Completely improvised except that it's a jazz standard called autumn leaves :p

I'm not sure how that makes it any less improvised. Do you, then, not consider something to be improvisation if that improvisation is done over a written form (i.e. 99% of all solos in jazz)? Yes, it's autumn leaves, but he's definitely not just playing the head of the tune for the full performance. All the voicings he's playing are improvised...nothing is written out, and he's certainly not limiting the harmony as though he were strictly reading the changes from a chart(especially after the head). When you consider the way he thinks about this stuff (as individual voices, not as chords in the same way most of us would), it's all the more impressive. If anything, it's a much higher level of thinking than improvising single-note melodies over something.

Man, I think youve got your own idea of what improvisation is, my dad came in, I put on that video and said, "dad heres a guitarist doing amazing improvisation", and he said "no that's autumn leaves" I only watched the first minute and a half or so but of what I saw, the chords were all the same and the melody was barely decorated. If I learn autumn leaves and change the phrasing of a couple of notes here and there am I on a higher level of thinking?

I consider improvisation to be where someone is making something up as they go along, for example, if someone was playing the chord sequence to autumn leaves, and i began playing an unprepared melody, composing each bar in my head just moments before i play it- i would be improvising, and the guy playing the chords wouldnt be.

It's not "my own idea of what improvisation is". 2 quick questions (honest questions, not intended to insult you:)):

-Have you ever actually heard Autumn Leaves?

-Did you actually watch the full performance?

I don't know how much you know about jazz, so I'm going to respond as though you know nothing (and hope that doesn't offend you if that's not the case!). When you learn a jazz tune from paper, all you're going to get 99% of the time is a lead sheat...i.e. just the melody and chord symbols. When you think about it, the chord symbols, while telling you the function of each chord and basic harmony, don't really give you all that much. Sometimes you'll get a specific inversion, but even that is wide open to interpretation of the player (and FWIW, I'm pretty sure Autumn leaves doesn't have inversions written in the real book). Autumn leaves has a 32 bar form...when you consider all the different ways to reinterpret each chord, the ways to voice lead from one to the next, consider possible substitutions and reharmonizations....there are well over thousands of different ways to play the chords to that song, all based pretty closely on the basic harmony laid out on the lead sheet. When you consider all the options available, and consider that these decisions are generally made on the spot (such as in the Ted Greene video in question), then I would say that it is absolutely a form of improvisation. Now, that's just for accompaniment. What ted is doing there is improvising an entire solo arrangement of the piece. During the head...he's playing the written melody, a bassline, and the chords (and again...he is going beyond simply reproducing a bare-bones rendition of what the written harmony is). After the head...he is improvising a melody, playing a bassline, and providing himself the chordal accompaniment. What I was getting at early with the "higher level of improv" comment was that he is improvising all those things at once. Furthermore, the way ted things about these things would make it a lot harder for most others to do. He doesn't think in terms of chords, he thinks in terms of individual voices. If he's going from one 4 note chord to another.....he's thinking of 4 individual melody lines rather than one chord movement. So in his head...he's improvising a melody, improvising a bassline, and improvising a few more individual voices to fill out the harmony...all at once based on simple chord symbols. In function, it's not that much of a leap....but to go from those chord symbols on a lead sheet to actually being able to do all that and to the level and extent that Ted does is simply mindblowing. Thus, my feelings that it takes a much higher level of understanding and ability to do what he was doing there than it does to improvise just a melody based off the same base material. There is a LOT more going on there than just decorating the melody.

I would agree that some things need to be judged from a practicallity standpoint as to whether or not they are improvisations according to the more commonly used definition....but to me, and everyone I've ever encountered in the genre or while playing/learning the stuff, what is going on in that video definitely fits the criteria for "improvisation".