Cool Reviews of The Empires

Existenz

Nov 12, 2004
UK
Here's a translation of the review that will be in next month's Legacy magazine (Germany).

"Fuck, here`s the best alternative for the sucking and disappointing latest
PRIEST-album: Hell, when I read the influences of this act, being besides Halford & Co. PANTERA and the likes I doubted `The EmpiresŠ` would be an album of my taste. But BIOMECHANICAL manage to kick the ass of many too stubborn ³old-schoolers² out there! Imagine the legendary Downing/Tipton-twin-guitar-lines melted with some spaced-out STRAPPING YOUNG LAD inspirations as well as some Halford-screams. Above all there`s the modern heaviness of PANTERA (but in a better, more challenging way!) as well as the complexity of arrangements which is comparable to i.e. MESHUGGAH. BIOMECHANICAL are far away from sounding straight, so there`s something to discover in their songs over and over again! And just check out the epic `Absolution`-complex, which actually is an atmospheric, utter dark ³song² divided into four parts. The instrumental skills are great indeed, the production of a certain Andy Sneap is heavy as fuck, as well as the music
itself: BIOMECHANICAL surely can be considered as group that is able to offer real aggressive, innovative modern Metal the way it should be!"

Thanks Lee!

Here's one from www.metal-temple.com

Two years in the making, "Empires of the World" is simply a fine exercise for any editor deciding to "decode" it in a review. Recalling John K.'s (vocalist) statements referring to the recording process of the album (he mentioned that the new album is a boosted version of "Eight Moons") I started wondering what those British had in mind.

Biomechanical is the brainchild of vocalist John K., an exceptional singer coming from Greece - now based on English land. Their debut album "Eight Moons" got rave reviews from the majority of the press. The band's style is described as (a late) Nevermore meets Judas Priest and both of them decide to write a soundtrack for a sci-fi film. The same thing pretty much goes with "Empires Of The World" only this time indeed the whole "package" sounds 100% boosted in any way you may look at it.

Have you seen "Akira"? "Bullet Ballet"? Have you ever considered the possibility of a Metal band writing the music for such films? Then soon you will be holding in your hands the perfect sound companion to such disturbing visions of the future.

Raw, uncompromising, technical, melodic and chaotic. Five words describing in the best possible way what's going on in here. Biomechanical have managed to surpass themselves in their second album and there's no doubt about it. Vocalist John K. though a high screamer (Midnight meets Warrel Dane) adds brutality coming from his lungs with ease. Guitarists Jamie Hunt and Chris Web obliterate everything on their passing; how do they remember to play so many riffs live, I really wonder. Let's not forget the rhythm section that constantly bombards all the time with different time signatures leading the entire band on a whirlwind of technical manifestation.

Although "Empires of the World" is less melodic then its predecessor, it has some catchy moments like "Relinquished Destiny" and "Long Time Dead".

As with the first album, "Empires Of The World" comes with a quite disturbing front cover. I assume the booklet will be equally well taken care of. In conclusion what I hold in my hands is simply one of the best releases for 2005. it is about time for the world to learn and bow before the next big thing in Metal music. Biomechanical is here to stay!

MASTERPIECE

Jonoleth said:
Arghh!! Everyone else is getting their promos... Mines still absent... Bloody postal service!

I think they sent another load out last Friday, so you should get yours soon :)

Heres hoping, all these positive reviews are really getting me excited about it! Thank the lord I dont have to wait till June! I'd be a gibbering wreck!

Lee_B said:
My bad. I only posted them to Jon on Saturday morning. Feel free to kick me up the arse should we ever meet (though please aim for the cheeks as my Nobby Styles are giving me right gyp).

Lee

:tickled:

It's ok Lee, Jonoleth is on the list at Earache.

This one from www.notquiet.com

BIOMECHANICAL ( United Kingdom (Great Britain) ) " The Empires Of The Worlds " released by Elitist / Earache Records on 06-2005 . Bullet of the month!!!!
From the United Kingdom and after a long way searching a replacement from disbanded Pantera, a young band emerges with an incredible potential. They are called Biomechanical, and the fussion of Pantera's thrash shred (done since "Power Metal" to "Vulgar Display Of Power") and the dual guitars & high pitched vocals of british Judas Priest (since "Painkiller") make them the right option to be the sucessors of the throne of thrash heavy metal.

As I said the influence of shotdead Pantera's guitar player, Dimebag Darrel is more than notable on this creation, the second one of the band, due a high speed contundent but groovy thrashy guitar riffing. Of course, guitar solos are more than incredible, not reaching the originality or virtuosity of monster Darrell, but really great.

Drums and bass are where Strapping Young Lad meets Pantera meets Judas Priest (from "Painkiller"). You know: technical and fast double bass drumming. Voice is something special to mention, due the wide range of voices shown here: from ex-Priest singer "Ripper" Owens to a more Phil Anselmo's register from "Power Metal" era. Aggresive, but full of feeling. You will be able to listen up to three kind of voices at same time.

And finally, keyboards. As these songs would be done for an space film, you will be able to hear some chaotic, technical but futuristic keys arrangements perfectly assembled in the songs.

This is probably the best album done on this style since "Cowboys From Hell". Mixed by Andy Sneap (Machine Head and Nevermore). You should try this one if like Pantera and Judas Priest. For sure won't be dissapointed!. A must...

A great deal from Erache's sublabel Elitist Records!

That's some nice art on that site. I'll bear them in mind when looking for my own band's demo CD cover (we record in July. All I have to do now is learn the songs :)). Out of interest, what did you pay? PM if you'd rather it wasn't public.

Lee

Yeah, those guys are awesome at what they do.

what he charged us, since i don't want to really reveal the cost, in case it makes people go to them thinking theyll get the same, was somewhere in between 100 and 300. you'll have to talk to them. they are genuine nice guys that care about every project they have! good luck when you record :)