Cool Reviews of The Empires

My promo copy of Empires just arrived, bit frustrated that it wont rip to my pc (I listen to all my music on my pc, dont partake in any of this file sharing malarky) so I must dig out my CD player, there'll be a review by the end of the day I predict!

Jonoleth said:
Aye someone already has, to my knowledge the albums been floating around cyberspace since sometime last week.

This really doesn't suprise me :cry:

It's just a shame for the band who have put in so much time, dedication and money into this album aswell as the label!

Existenz said:
This really doesn't suprise me :cry:

It's just a shame for the band who have put in so much time, dedication and money into this album aswell as the label!

Yeah, it bugs me! I say Biomechanical should open up a can of whoop ass and sue everyone! Hell, I will if my band's CD gets across the internet. Intellectual Rights are a bunch of bitches to take control of.

For me half of the joy of an album youre looking forward to is the mouthwatering wait! It only serves to make it that bit sweeter when you ifnally get hold of it!

And here it is, my review, taken from www.Power-Metal.co.uk.

I warn you all, I'm famed for being far too nice in all my reviews (which is why I dont do too many) but I really mean it for this album, its truly blown me away. So here it is:

People often say that the second album is always the hardest, and to some extent you can see that in a lot of bands back catalogues, especially when following a succesfull debut.
This was my major concern with 'The Empires Of The Worlds', following its predeccesor 'Eight Moons' didnt look to be an easy task.
Luckily for me,and all the other Biomechanical fans out there, the guys have really come through.
'The Empires...' takes up where 'Eight Moons' left off, continuing the futuristic narrative with a similarly dark and twisting feel to it, both musicaly and lyrically 'The Empires...' feels so much like the older and more mature brother of 'Eight Moons', it still sounds so uniquely like a Biomechanical record but its developed the intensity and brutality even further.

The second the first track, Enemy Within, kicks in, you know who this is, full film score metal action, screeching guitars, orchestration to blow you head off and vocals that are almost beyond description.
I think in efforts to categorise this, to compare this record, I've searched and searched for similarities but as a musical whole Biomechanical are so in a league of their own, they take aspects from so many genres and seminal bands but utilise them in such a unique way.
Theres the intensity and brutality of Slayers 'Reign In Blood', the pure power and scorching twin guitars of Judas Priests 'Painkiller' and the pure riffing power of Panteras 'Cowboys...', so the sum of those parts, you'd imagine, would equal either a sheer metal classic or a big ugly mess.
Well luckily its the former, I doubt it will ever gain the commercial success of 'Painkiller' or 'Reign In Blood' but it will work its way into the fans top tens with great ease.
After the intense opener the title track screams in with no holds barred, without the intricate edge of Enemy Within but with more of a leaning on a dense bed of melodies, The Empires... is one of the most instantly recognisable tracks, followed quickly by another dip into a more extreme pool with the aptly titled Assaulter, a track which as well as any other track on the CD shows the maturity this album has that holds it above 'Eight Moons', with a fantastic drum track behind some screaming vocals this track shows Biomechanical for what they are, not a particularly easy ride but a bloody enjoyable one.
After the initial barage of the first few songs we come to Long Time Dead, a slower, more epic number, not to say its any less heavy, but definately a track that newcomers would warm to quickly.
Getting back into the filmic flow we come to Regenerated and DNA Metastasis, two mid tempo typical Biomechanical tracks, a barrage of riffs, melodies and orchestration that, once you untangle it, begins to take on a whole new shape.
The next stand out track to me is Existenz, to me it seems somewhat out of character for the Biomech boys, without the usual intensity and more instantly heavy it sits perfectly on this record, as dark as any other track but with a character almost entirely of its own in the Biomechanical back catalogue, really showing more of the Pantera/Metallica influence than the dense and more extreme influences.
The second Existenz is wrapped up though its straight into that barrage again, sounding like a demented Judas Priest on speed Truth Denied is dark, twisted and gripping and with more bile to spit than a room full of Dave Mustaine clones, another standout track.
Its at this point where keen eyes notice a four part song, something only few bands get right, often sounding turgid and self indulgent most attempts at epic songs fall flat on their faces, luckily John K, chief Biomechanical songwriter has done himself proud, not even a sniff of self importance in sight, if anything this 4 part song (Absolution) is there not by design but by a fortunate accident, you wouldnt listen to it and say it was an attempt to knit together a few songs to make one long piece or that it was contrived, it seems to flow so perfectly, in fact so much so that you wouldnt question it as one long song.
As a whole its Absolution in its 4 parts that is the most filmicly impressive segment of the album, as odd as it sounds to talk like that about music it really does work. It has all the trademarks of a good film soundtrack, flow, contrasting light and shade and all encompasing melodies.

Once the album has finished its almost like a relief, but in the best possible way! In a similar manner to 'Eight Moons' the album works to best effect when you sit back and let it wash over you, taking in the music as a whole instead of trying to take it in and process it as its seperate parts, trust me, that way youll just end up baffled.
Something that always endears a record to me is its overall feel, the image it conjours up in my head, for some bands its a frostbitten scandanavian wasteland (Wintersun) and for others its the tough and grimy industrial areas of england (Judas Priest) but Biomechanical have taken me somewhere far away with this, somewhere most definately not of this age and not of this world. It conjours up a bleak and futuristic world of gritty hardships and fear.
My word of advice to all fans of something a little edgy, something daring and cutting edge, is to snap this up as soon as possible, its certainly not instantly amazing but after 3 or 4 listens (I'm on my 5th of the day so far!) you can fully take in the magnitude of the CD.
I'll say one thing, it certainly aint dinner jazz!
Get yourself a darkened room a loud stereo and something to catch your drool.

Glad you liked it :)

For me it's definately one of those albums the more you play the more things you find! Also I keep changing my mind on which are my most favourite tracks! Today it's Assaulter, Long time Dead and Absolution :Spin:

Thanks to Lee, this was on the Elitist Forum :)

Posted on the PM:X message board (thanks to John Frank)

Biomechanical - Empires of the Worlds clicked with me this morning and blew me away. On my first three spins of the disc, I enjoyed many different segments of songs, but overall the CD lacked consistent hooks for me. I found myself thinking some parts of songs were awkward and not very engaging.

Today, it all came together for me. I just finished enjoying the disc as a whole and found every song to be of high quality. Biomechanical have taken their approach on their good debut Eight Moons and have improved on every aspect of their music and have added many new twists and turns. I still classify them as dark power metal in the American style, but they have gotten considerably more aggressive, heavier, and thrashier. The music is also more diverse than the tunes on the debut.

In addition, Biomechanical ramped up the complexity considerably. Though I would not classify this disc as complex or technical metal, it definitely has a lot more going on than the vast majority of metal releases in this genre. Keyboard flourishes (not the happy Europower kind) and some manic drumming at times add to an already bracing wall of sound.

The production of Andy Sneap is stellar - worlds better than the sound on Eight Moons. Everything is very crisp and bludgeoning.

Multiple points of comparison came to mind while listening, but Biomechanical have their own sound, in my opinion. The obvious Nevermore (Dreaming Neon Black), Queensryche (O:M), and Judas Priest (Painkiller) benchmarks have carried over from Eight Moons and been expanded upon, but this new disc is also very thrashy. Pantera (Cowboys), Metallica (MoP), and to a lesser extent Overkill (Horrorscope) and Exodus (Tempo) came to mind when I was bathing in the glory of their thick, crunchy riffage.

Even vocalist John K has adopted a more aggressive approach. He still often sounds like a more energetic and vibrant Halford or Tate, but his style on several tunes recalls Cowboys era Anselmo to some extent. For one short segment in one tune, he even does a good Black Album era Hetfield impersonation.

This album is a grower. I urge you all to check it out, if you have not already. Time will tell if my enthusiasm will be sustained or will wane somewhat, but right now this disc is really impressing the hell out of me.

I guess I need to listen to Infernal Poetry - Beholding the Unpure again to see if its #1 of 2005 position has been usurped. Of course, I will have to get Biomechanical out of the player to do that. That might take awhile.

Review from Blabbermouth

Where have these guys been hiding? How could such a crushing and creative classic/modern heavy metal band have alluded me? The band is BIOMECHANICAL and they've been rolling down the streets of London, toppling buildings and trampling the inhabitants like a British Godzilla. Now that Earache is about to unleash "The Empires of the World" on the rest of humanity, Armageddon is not far off.

Take the best moments of JUDAS PRIEST, NEVERMORE, and PANTERA, throw in film score orchestration, and what you end up with is "The Empires of the World". I was knocked off balance initially by the band's over-the-top blockbuster movie soundtrack effects, the coupling of it with such a jarring metallic approach overwhelming me. Therein lies the beauty though, as the "The Empires of the World" offers so much to the listener with each spin of the disc that it's impossible to absorb it all in one sitting. Far from sounding dated, the band's epic coating and challenging arrangements, as well as Andy Sneap's always crisp and vicious production, turns the album into one that is both exciting and violent. John K's vocals are so versatile and powerful that once again I couldn't help but recall the delivery of a Dane, Halford, or Anselmo, often all three. From the manic and chaotically fast tracks ("Truth Denied", "Assaulter") to the more dramatic/involved pieces ("Relinquished Destiny", "Long Time Dead", and the four-part "Absolution"), the work of BIOMECHANICAL takes the head-banging excellence of the masters and combines it with its own frenzied and modern application.

There are so many points on this album when the hairs stood up on the back of my neck and the adrenaline flowed as memories of the devastation I felt from "Vulgar/Driven" PANTERA, "Vengeance/Painkiller" PRIEST, and "Neon Black/Dead Heart" NEVERMORE came rushing back. I haven't heard an album in quite some time that takes everything I love about the vintage work of said band and adds layer upon layer of creativity and freshness. Now THIS is British Steel!

- Scott Alisoglu

Lee_B said:
The title track is on the cover mount CD of the latest Zero Tolerance magazine.

:cool:
Yeah and they're on The Big Cheese Mag CD
Earche have got a scan of it on their site.

Though they seem to think the title of the album is 'The Empires of both worlds' :)

From Explicity Intense Magazine

"Biomechanical-The Empires Of The Worlds
Earache

A titanic sound emanates from across the Atlantic,
bearing within it the composition of revolution,
evolution and the god-like ability to redefine metal
at its most base essence. We're talking the Six
Million Dollar Man of metal. Bigger. Faster. Stronger.
Better. Biomechanical is the ultimate amalgamation of
everything that's been right about metal for the past
30 years. Their musical and vocal elements personify
the highest echelon of the true groundbreakers:
Halford, Dickinson, Tate, Schuldiner, Dimebag &
Anselmo (and by that association, Exhorder), all
compiled and genetically altered to present a pure
metal Superbeast. This band completely understands
their roots and influences, and the result is not the
usual rehashed impersonations we hear so often. This
is the next logical step in what metal should be, with
the afore-mentioned greats peering over
Biomechanical's shoulder with proud grins and
approving nods. Biomechanical are metal's future. It's
that simple."
         Â
Brian Davis
Explicitly Intense Magazine
www.knac.com

Metal Hammer Greece Magazine

Biomechanical
'The Empires of the Worlds'

The 'Empires of the Worlds of the Heavy Sound' are gathering together for the creation of this new Metal Hybrid which has found its substance and existenz in the shape of Biomechanical. What takes place in this album is simply inconceivable, shocking.
If on their first album you would say that they married today's Metal music with old school Heavy Metal but with a new direction of that style, then you would have to say that with this new album they are even more extreme and experimental opening in this way a new chapter in Heavy Metal history.
Is this an exaggeration? It think not, and just one spin of 'The Empires' is not enough to prove this, as the album is so ahead of it's time, so ground-breaking that it takes dedication and a few spins until it opens you its doors and reveals its brave new Metal world hidden within it.
Just imagine a barrage of Pantera-esque riffs within a new Prog-Metal spectrum, put all this through a Film Score like atmosphere and with vocals that change from extreme growls to high pitched vocals to a staggering effect all that projected by an Andy Sneap mix that leaves no margin for negative comments what so ever.
Millions of notes and ideas put together in a way that there is absolutely no space for doubt in the song structure, sky high tension, melodies that give you a chance to take a breath before plummeting into a torrent of sonic attack and intense atmosphere, all these things describe a daring album that is made for a daring audience. There is no middle ground here.

Everybody knows exactly where they belong!

9/10

Hakos Pervanidis