Cool studio/console/monitor idea.

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
So, to make a long story short, I'm partners with a few guys building a studio in Chicago, a few blocks from Johhny K's GrooveMaster Studios. It's a beautiful old building with an amazing live room, but...The unique bit will be in the control room.

On of the guys building the studio doesn't want to deal with moving his huge mixing console into the new studio at the moment, so he has ordered a custom 48 inch touch screen that will act is the "console." It's base off of the same technology that the iPhone uses, so imagine a 48" iPhone. We will be running PTHD3, Nuendo and Sequoia (PT for tracking, Nuendo for mixing and Sequoia for mastering and CD authoring). This is more than likely going to be placed in a custom desk, and the mix window from any of the programs will be run on it. Above, as in a normal studio situation, will be the "edit view" monitors. The options for editing via stylus and hand are pretty cool as well!

There will also be a PT8LE rig on a cart strictly for editing, so you can have a few guys going at the same time. Couple this with some amazing outboard gear and mics (EDIT: my bad, that mic was a 1950 Neumann M49, #52 if I remember correctly now). We think it's going to be an amazing coupling of old and new technology.

It opens on the 15th of January, and you better believe I'll have pictures up!

sounds interesting....
but tbh I doubt it'll be fun working on a touchscreen, only 1 fader at a time :(.
I hope the resolution and unprecise tracking won't fuck it up....would be cool if it works...looking forward to seeing the pics

Yeah I'd say the lack of multi-touch capability makes this less of an attractive prospect than you might think (and even if the hardware supported it, the software doesn't). You're basically getting no more editing ability than you would with a mouse.

How do you right-click with a touchscreen anyway?

ive had a touch screen here for a year or so, a wacom one where you use the pen and its actually alot better just using the mouse as you dont have to move your hand the whole width of the screen..if that makes sense.

I've heard that Apple actually owns the patent on the multi-touch technology or whatever you want to call it. iPhones and iPod touches are multi-touch. It's not single touch guys... lol.

ive had a touch screen here for a year or so, a wacom one where you use the pen and its actually alot better just using the mouse as you dont have to move your hand the whole width of the screen..if that makes sense.

Hey, Andy. Yea, my partner was originally going to go with a stylus kind of system, but decided that this would have the opportunity to be more "hands on," if you take my meaning. From what I have been told about this touch screen is this: It is being custom built and will be based on the iPhone multi-touch technology.