Copy Paste

AaronDylan

another diamond recording
Feb 18, 2011
munich germany
Well the last few days i´ve been drum editing my ass of for 6 songs

I always record many different parts and place the best ones together.

I´m not the fastest slip editor and sometimes i copy and paste parts i already edited.

like the same verse chorus whatever.

How often do some of you catch yourself copying parts? or do you even do it at all?

I think it´s ok so long its not noticeable.

what do you think or do?

If you're already editing them tight and they're supposed to be the same I see no harm in copypaste. I mean the end result sounds the same either way. This depends of the style of the music though. In metal It's not noticable at all but it might be noticable in something like indie or other styles that have a more dynamic/organic sound.

I never copy and paste my own drums.. but i started as a drummer. and I love the drums.

on clients projects if their drummer has trouble and the parts are identical I will absolutely do it. I see no issue with this at all. just dont copy the same drum roll over and over :p

I consider this a "if you have to" technique. If the drummer is too sloppy or time doesn't permit do what you have. A part played twice --even if you are editing-- won't be identical and personally I like the human factor.

I consider this a "if you have to" technique. If the drummer is too sloppy or time doesn't permit do what you have. A part played twice --even if you are editing-- won't be identical and personally I like the human factor.

+1

Although, if the drummer is really good, then i can have a more of an "oldschool" approach to the editing. Meaning that i can take the best verse, best chorus etc and use it multiple times. But that is only when i don't edit to grid, and the song benefits from having more feel to it.

I typically save it for times when I want a double/quad-track and a) don't have the time or b) am just throwing song ideas together. Copy Chorus #2 to a new track and use it during Chorus #1, Verse #1 can be Verse #2, etc.

I do it all the time if say only one of the three verses is usable, same thing with chrous'. I had this one drummer come in here a while back and he had a weird affliction towards using his ride cymbal inappropriately, like playing a huge breakdown. And not crash riding, imagine PING PING PING PING PING PING PING. Needless to say I was copy and pasting a lot that session.