Copy and paste

AStacy2

May 19, 2006
Ohio
If a band has a song similar enough for verses, choruses, ect to just be copied and pasted in the song on live drums/guitar/bass/vocals have you ever done this to save time?

I'm thinking of doing it on an upcoming project because I put everything 100% to grid anyways and don't have much time for this project. It seems like it will work to me, but I'd rather not fuck myself on this project either. And hey, I make more money the longer it takes to track so...haha. I've done some copy and paste before with programmed drums but never on a band I was tracking.

The band has asked me about this sort of thing because they saw some rappers doing it and were jealous I guess. But, this is an alt metal band I'm recording. Any experiences/issues you guys can share about this sort of thing? Thanks.

I'd rather not do it, but I have done it if getting two decent takes of the same riff turns out to be impossible. If the guitarist nails a chorus on - let's say - the second take and just can't pull it off after that no matter what, it might be the best decision to copypaste it as long as it's not too obvious.

I'd rather not do it, but I have done it if getting two decent takes of the same riff turns out to be impossible. If the guitarist nails a chorus on - let's say - the second take and just can't pull it off after that no matter what, it might be the best decision to copypaste it as long as it's not too obvious.

Yeah, just to be clear I'm not talking about not being able to dual track guitar riffs -- I'll make someone sit there until that happens. I'm speaking more in sections of songs like an entire verse or chorus.

I do it always. Entire riff, choruse, verses... even in acosutic drums!
I prefer to concentrate doing only one chorus perfect and then copy paste than wasting my time recording twice or threeice the same thing.
And I think most of the pros do it, specially on vocals.

Copy/Paste and Undo FTW!

Depends on a multitude of variables for me.
Time constraints, skill of the band, whether the band are okay with it, maybe even creative reasons...

I personally have no problem with copying and pasting loops. Whatever it takes to deliver a polished sounding recording, right? Cos that's what we're paid for.

I tend to do that alot, like when tracking a riff I play it four times over, and then just cut it up and use one for each guitar track. And then copy paste that as many times as I want.

But that is pretty much just for demoing, on more serious recordings I would prefer it more "live".