Cubase 5 copy and paste issue? HELP

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
When I go to copy say the rhythm guitar part to a chorus I had slip edited earlier in the song, I select the whole group of events and then go to the first event and set its snap point to the beginning of whatever bar the transient starts at. Then I copy the whole part and paste it to somewhere else in the song. Sometimes when I paste it my edits (the cuts) have gaps between them for no apparent reason, when I go check the original part it's completely fine but the pasted part will have these random gaps and I can't figure out why. It's got me paranoid. I have my snap type set to grid so I really can't think of any reason it would do this, is it a glitch?

Just for the fuck of it, I set the snap points for each individual event instead of just the first event in the group I had selected (just too see if that would fix it)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14509637/Photos/Original wav.jpg

that is the original version of the chorus that I edited, You can see the edit and everything looks fine.

Here is what happens when I paste that to the chorus later in the song (notice how the snap point moved for no reason and the edit now has a space in it)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14509637/Photos/Pasted version.jpg

Are you using "Snap to zero crossing"? That can cause small gaps when copy&pasting parts.

Snapping to zero crossing ruins phase coherency around the points of the cut. It doesn't cut everything at the same spot, just where each crosses zero in that general area. In reality it probably won't sound any different but it's annoying in Cubase when things don't group properly because it's being cut a ms or two early/late.

even with zero crossing off it's still doing this, randomly I might add. Sometimes I'll paste shit and it will be fine and sound find, other times there's some random gap or the exact same part edited earlier in the song will be completely fine and then the pasted part will have some random pop or click where I made an edit. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Please tell me cubase 7 doesn't have this problem, because I'm about ready to just say fuck it and go pick up pro tools.

Edit: So for anyone whose ever had this problem, I think I may have figured it out. I still don't know why it does this but what seems to work is instead of setting the snap point to the beginning of the bar. Roll the event back to the beginning of the bar, copy & paste and then just pull the start of the event back to wherever you want it. So far this seems to be working for me.