"Copying" sound.

Noumenon

Obsidian Productions
Jul 24, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
www.obsidianproductions.se
I'm trying to make the Superior 2.0 drums sound like the latest Shining release. Drum by drum. But as usual I'm stuck at the first one, I can't for the life of god get that snare to sound the same. Ok, the compression is not the same etc, but I can't hear what freq. are boosted/cut.

Before you say "well, it's not the same snare" I wanna say; I know. But I should be able to get fairly close ;)

Anyone have any suggestion? I tried various freq. anal. and match it, but then again the source sound isn't just the snare.

You have to use, the same drumset, the same sequenzer, the same plugins, the same console, the same outboard, the same mastering studio, and for shure the same ears like the engineer;)

Just jocking;)

Try a look on the drum tuning. Your drums need to have the same tunes.
And then play with the eq and the compressor to find something thats near your needed sound. There is a plugin called transient designer. This could help you ,too

hm, I find that really hard, tuning :p like, "what pitch is this snare?" haha. and detuning the superior snare sounds soo funny, lol. but yeah, you're probobly right. should look into the tuning.

transient designer, is that the same thing as the transient thing in s 2.0? you can regulate the volume of the attack and the sustain.

not exactly the same. There is a plugin from sonnox and in cubase 4
With this plugin you can make this very hard hitting sound, because you can make the transient of a hit very short and loud. It´s the "BANG" from the snare...i used it to "copy" the snare from the band "a day to remember"

but you cant just tune the superior 2.0 samples. This sounds totaly shitty.
You need a sample thats in the same tune.

The transient designer on S2.0 is basically the same thing as the transient plug-in XGabrielX is talking about. You can use it to match the amount of smack or decay that another snare has in this case.

The only one I've used is the Waves TransX. I don't think I've ever actually used a transient designer plug-in in a mix, so I would not say that it's a vital part of the work I do. I've tried it on the snare before, but I couldn't really get it to sound right (it DID add some "smack", but not to my liking...a compressor is better on the snare, I think). What I have found it to be most helpful on, is trying to process or create a kick sample. Just the right amount of "smack" from it can augment the clickiness on a kick drum in a pleasant way...it doesn't sound like boosting the high end, but it somehow just adds sharpness to the attack and can make a kick sound pretty mean.

i prefer people to ask me what they want to sound like. i mean, as for the tones and stuff, it cud be a problem, but as for the general mix, the eq'ing within the track and mastering purposes, it makes it easier for me to obtain a sound they want