Coronavirus cases and deaths among UM members

Lost two uncles to Covid so far. I mean, they were over 60 and chronic smokers so c'est la vie, but still, one would probably rather die peacefully at home, or have a heart attack in their own back yard, than hacking up their lungs in a hospital bed, surrounded by strangers and burnt out medical staff. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, much less family.

dude needs to take off the tinfoil hat and put down the pipe, but seriously who is this person and why do we care what they say. there are idiot conspiracy theorists on both sides

reopening IS stupid but has nothing to do with race, listen to Science not social media attention whores

Lost two uncles to Covid so far. I mean, they were over 60 and chronic smokers so c'est la vie, but still, one would probably rather die peacefully at home, or have a heart attack in their own back yard, than hacking up their lungs in a hospital bed, surrounded by strangers and burnt out medical staff. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, much less family.

That sucks bro :/

I’m sure all of you are deeply concerned and wondering “how is Aug’s sex life?” well you will be happy to know it is alive and well. I discovered a secret underground network of Russian prostitutes right here in L.A. and rates are lower thanks to the virus! My thirst for European asshole has finally been satiated...:’)

tenor.gif

Reactions: arg and CiG
My good mate got covid a week ago. He is my age and he has only lost smell and taste. Thats it. Now hes staying isolated until another test is negative. Thats the bestial virus killing the entire earth population :tickled:

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
My good mate got covid a week ago. He is my age and he has only lost smell and taste. Thats it. Now hes staying isolated until another test is negative. Thats the bestial virus killing the entire earth population :tickled:
Yeah i know quite few people who supposedly had it(most who are also heavy smokers btw). Although now a bunch of our states are going back and saying they "fucked up":rolleyes: and have been counting the flu and pneumonia as diagnoses too and have cut the numbers in half. Most recent one was my friends son who basically had the flu and temporarily lost his sense of smell(like most people du when they have a common flu). He's perfectly fine now after about a week. No one else in the family "tested positive"

One COVID-19 cluster finally found its way into New Zealand, with our biggest city on lockdown again and live shows back to socially distanced/seated. They're saying it's a strain we haven't seen here before and there's some speculation a frozen food distribution worker may have caught it from some packaging! There are a bunch of reports of the virus being found on frozen food in China etc. but I didn't see any that actually linked it to an outbreak.

Affected a bunch of my plans for the next 2 weekends including seeing Ulcerate tomorrow. Even if they had been able to travel down I'm sure they wouldn't bother finding a seated space to spread everyone out in.

From what I read there aren't many experts claiming the bug can last in cold store for the time frame in question. The first report I heard a day or so back questioned the guy who initially voiced the theory and he couldn't, or wouldn't, explain his reasoning. Not sure how much truth there is in either side of the argument because some other small country claimed they got a dose in cold store from Brazil or something, but they also didn't provide evidence.

Even if thawing deactivated most of the virus, China said they detected traces which is believable. There was that 30,000 year old virus they dug up out of the permafrost in Sibera which was then still infectious to amoeba. So I don't think the timeframe matters so much as how rapidly it's frozen and later thawed, and how fragile the particular virus is. There are a few reports of outbreaks of Hepatitis A from frozen seeds and berries, so it seems to be the most common offender. Influenza is at the fragile end of the scale from what I found, but even that turns up this which is interesting:

https://www.virology.ws/2009/03/02/origin-of-current-influenza-h1n1-virus/
Why were the viral genomes of the 1977 H1N1 isolate and the 1950 virus so similar? If the H1N1 viruses had been replicating in an animal host for 27 years, far more genetic differences would have been identified. The authors suggested several possibilities, but only one is compelling:
…it is possible that the 1950 H1N1 influenza virus was truly frozen in nature or elsewhere and that such a strain was only recently introduced into man.

I wouldn't put it past those pesky birds to dig viruses up out of the ice.

They've dug lots of shit out of ice but from what I've heard it's to do with how cold store works not just the fact that it's frozen that is questioning the idea. Brazil is still being blamed by some for cold store transference but from what I've seen nothing is proven for or against, it just seems to be media shit slinging at the moment.

In the early stages of this some places tried to scare people into the idea that international parcel shipment was going to be the biggest transference of the disease between countries but that idea was short lived too.