Couple questions about external drives?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
Im thinking about getting a fire Wire external drive to record on to and run my libraries off of. My questions are:

1. Will there be a significant increase in performance when running this stuff off of a second drive? Right now i have everything running off the internal drive on my laptop....and it runs fine. But Im down for anything that will make it better! So will it be that much better? Worth the cash?

2. I do not have a Esata port on my laptop and im running a firewire 400 card in my Express slot right now. Can I hook a firewire 800 drive into the firewire 400 with an adapter? Will it power the harddrive?

3. Is firewire 400 going to be worth it? Or should i buy a firewire800 card and run both my harddrive and the Profire610 off of that express 800 card?

Thanks!

You will only get an increase if you have your external 50% or more full (which it will show signs of decreased speed).

Firewire 800 drive in a 400 port will only give you 400 speed which would be a waste for the extra that an 800 drive would cost.

and yes it would be wise to get an 800 card and run your drive and interface off of, would be worth the extra money.