Cover songs that improve on the original

Tranquillian

Svartmetallist
Oct 10, 2001
It's not very often that a cover song improves on the original version. But sometimes I find covers that I prefer to the original.

Naglfar - Dawn of eternity
(Originally by Massacre on "From Beyond")

It must be the production that does it because this is so much heavier and brutal on Naglfar's version.

Dark Fortress - Endtime (Originally by Katatonia on Brave murder day)

I don't know what they did to it, but it's longer than the original and just better.

Emperor - Cromlech (Originally by Darkthrone on Soulside Journey)

The production does it again, plus they play it faster. A great song made even better.

I could go on but now I want to hear your suggestions.

None really come to mind.

However, I will say that I like Arch Enemy's "Kill with Power" and Children of Bodom's "Bed of Nails" as much as the Manowar and Alice Cooper originals.

Sebastian Bach did a great job with "Children of the Damned", as expected.

Also, The Four Horsemen > Mechanix :D

Nokturnal Mortum "Thurisaz" (orig Graveland)

The folk instrumentation adds a lot, and the vocals are done with such emotion... Awesome stuff.

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watch Tower
Type O Negatave - Black Sabbath

That's probably about it.

I know. :erk: It's the only Sabbath cover that I really do find better than the original, out of the 429298t9487u9owiejflkjlsfuyo8ijlksdyuoi24j479874242 I've heard.

JayKeeley said:
Also, The Four Horsemen > Mechanix :D

No no NO!!!!!!!!! Dave Mustaine = THRASH SPEED POWER = gooooooooood!!!!!! = BETTER THAN METALLICA!!!

Metal MAKES US STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STRONGER!!!!!!!!! STROOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGEERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck yeah! :headbang:

Megadeth > Metallica
and
Ellefson > Burton
but
Four Horsemen > Mechanix
because of Burton's marvelous middle section

Which is about the only thing people remember him for cos it's the only thing you can hear him playing on? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Burton sure got a bum mix for someone that was seemingly loved so much.

I'd totally buy remasters of the first three Metallica albums if they fixed that major glitch. Don't give a shit about Justice, those basslines were shit anyhow. Mercy killing. :p

This may infuriate some, but anything Nevermore's covered. Sounds of Silence, especially the lyrics, sounds much more threatening when taken out of their original context, and I know some Priest fans won't forgive them for what they did to Love Bites, but their version kills.

One Inch Man said:
I'd totally buy remasters of the first three Metallica albums if they fixed that major glitch. Don't give a shit about Justice, those basslines were shit anyhow. Mercy killing. :p

Cue legions of Newsted fans (both of them) screaming, "but but Flotsam and Je....". SHUT UP. He is crap.

Demonspell said:
This may infuriate some, but anything Nevermore's covered. Sounds of Silence, especially the lyrics, sounds much more threatening when taken out of their original context, and I know some Priest fans won't forgive them for what they did to Love Bites, but their version kills.
Oh no no.. this is.. the WORST COVER EVER (maybe). How do you destroy such a beautiful melodic song and make just a "headbanging hymn". In contrast to Heir Apparent's cover on sound of silence, which RULES, AND EVERYONE SHOULD DOWNLOAD IT.
Also download (on topic):
Depressive Age - Small Town Boy
Voivod - Astronomy Domine

Erik said:
Nokturnal Mortum "Thurisaz" (orig Graveland)

The folk instrumentation adds a lot, and the vocals are done with such emotion... Awesome stuff.

what where is this what album is it on?!