Cover Version Related Stuff

valanx

Room of Angel
Jan 13, 2005
I was finally able to track down the Judas Priest tribute that SaXoN play "you've got another thing comin' " on. Its amazing how Biff and the boys made such a classic Priest tune sound their own, made me think though... i doubt any band could ever really cover a SaXoN song it would just take too much away! SaXoNs music and Biff just put too much personality into the music imo

Although i would like to hear Halford\Priest maybe have a go at something like "Sea of Life" i think the result would be interesting and prolly nothing more!

If anyone wants the tune id be happy to email it to you, although it is 10mb ? can that size be emailed ???

You know, there's a tribute record to Saxon too, called "A Metal Crusade - A Tribute to Saxon" :devil: You should hear it (but it ain't that good though).

Valanx - yeah! I recently got the Priest Tribut album too!

The Saxon version of 'You've Got Another Thing Comin'' is interesting for so many reasons. Firstly, it is a great cover track - respect is due to The Priest! It is also interesting to hear the band do a Priest track in their own way - slight things are altered that give the song a more 'comfortable' feel. This isn't a bad thing. It's just that Priest were never a band willing to make a song easy to listen to on the first time it was heard. Saxon bring that edge to it that they mastered with 'Solid Ball' and 'Dogs Of War'. Not exactly commercial, yet immediately friendly, if you know what I mean? Biff's vocal style definately adds a dimension that was previously absent from the original. Where other's on the tribute album may attempt to sound like Halford, Biff just sticks with sounding like Biff and comes out on top! You can't mistake those chops!Another highlight is Nigel Glockler's effort - he adds so much more to the track! There is much more of a Rock-Groove to the song compared to the original. Glockler would have been a fine drummer for Priest when they were looking for one!
Other favourites on the Priest tribute album are Helloween - Electric Eye; Rage - Jawbreaker; Radakka - NIght Crawler; UDO - Metal Gods.

Priest doing a Saxon tribute? Now that would be interesting!

Crusader - any idea where I can buy the Saxon Tribute album? I'd love to hear it, whether it's good or bad. And what's the track listing?

On another 'Tribute' note - I recently bought a Rush Tribute CD called 'Working Man'. Anyone else out there got it?

Now thats what i call hitting the nail on the head there Nightwar :headbang:
I wonder if Priest themselves have ever actually heard it or the other tribute songs? I think they could learn alot from Biff! What i mean by that is remember when Priest re-covered a couple of the old tunes "Rapid Fire" and "Green Manlishi" they sounded really tired and horribly produced and Ripper didnt do the original recordings justice at all.....Kinda Pointless and Demolition was just an abomination !! Lets hope for Good thing for JP in 2005 with Angel of Retribution !

And Back to SaXoN !
This is the tracklist for the SaXoN tribute cd nightwar

A Metal Crusade - A Tribute to Saxon

Abattor - Motorcycle Man
Agent Steel - Heavy Metal Thunder
Black Earth - Set Me Free
Brazen - This Town Rocks
Deceased - Fire in the Sky
Diary - 20,000 Feet
October 31 - Power and the Glory
Premonition - Dallas I P.M
Silent Shadows - Rock N'Roll Gypsy
Steel Prophet - The Eagle Has Landed
Tyrant - 747 (Strangers in the Night)

The album itself can be found here
hxxp://torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=29192
...........And it is a bloody awful effort !

Cheers for that, Valanx - that's an interesting mixture of tracks no matter what! I think I'm gonna have to track it down and buy.

About JP - yeah, I can't wait for 'Angel Of Retribution'! Kind of sounds like a Rob Halford title doesn't it!! I can't wait to see The Priest at the NEC!!!
I have no problem with Ripper, but he was dropped into a lake of fire when he joined Priest. He could never replace Halford. It was not down to who was a better singer - it was about having that magic ingredient that all great vocalists have. The simple fact is that Rob had more of that substance than Ripper.
I also think that Tipton and Co, at the time, were trying to find a new sound, and Ripper was one of the casualties of that experiment.
I hope that the new JP album is much more old-school and have a feeling it is going to be more like Halford's last solo album than JP's last album. Just a feeling I have...
The same could be said about Blaze Bailey when he joined Maiden - I personally love the Blaze/Maiden material but he was never going to win the fans over!

Nightmare Scenario: Imagine if Biff left Saxon and a new singer joined!! It would just not work!

My god if Biff left saxon :OMG: it would be like the end of the world....or something equally over dramatic!!!

I know what you mean about Ripper, i accepted him when Jugulator came out and kinda forced myself to like the album (i didnt think like that at the time but i know i did) i even saw them in wolverhampton and they were great and technically Rippers vocals were pretty good, but in my heart and i knew like so many other people there was just something missing! Il go with you on 'Angel' sounding more like Halfords stuff than latter JP (it was Halfords stuff that had the magic Priest needed) GT needs to just sit back turn the ego down and work as a trio once again instead of trying to (and failing to) re-invent the metal wheel as it were!

You know this is gonna sound really stupid since i was the one who started a thread about cover versions, well today my girlfriend (who hates saXon :yell: ) bought me "Heavy Metal Thunder" 2002, i asked her to.....because i only found out LAST NIGHT!!! that they had re-recorded the songs on it, id seen it a few times and just thought "not another compilation, i leave it for now etc." man sometimes i feel like ive been living in a cave (only recently got broadband u see) anyway very very very impressed with the CD !!!! but i need to 'get to know it more'

Also im ashamed to say this but it was only today i got the chronicles dvd (my girlfriend bought me it as well!! and it was a suprise, to say the least!!) i guess i just always choose audio cds over dvd concerts and what not, it was only christmas we got a real shit hot TV and 5.1 etc so i knew the wait would be worth it......... im blown away by the concert!!!! what happened on disc 2 ???? any ideas why some of the songs are missing? (there was a sticker on the outer plastic with the correct tracks but the actual 'book' has songs listed that are not on the dvd...im not really bothered, the concert is too awesome for words !!!!!!!!!!!!! im off to go watch it again.....but with really low volume :-(

Funny thing...Biff saying about the re-recording of the old stuff, the same day i get the cd lol !!

nightwar said:
Crusader - any idea where I can buy the Saxon Tribute album? I'd love to hear it, whether it's good or bad. And what's the track listing?
Probably on an online store, try amazon (amazon.com or amazon.co.uk), but I don't know which stores you guys here, I use Swedish ones for the most.

Valanx -
All I can say is that your girlfriend sounds very cool! Has she a sister!!
I completely agree with you about the JP stuff. Let's have Tipton and Co's energy and Halford's aura and imagination, is what I say!
Regarding HMT - I suppose it does just look like a compilation album, doesn't it. I only heard of it when I was doind research on the band so I could have done the same mistake!
Macc - is thsi Tribute album that bad that it is not even funny? I'd buy for a laugh if it is really terrible! I recently got an AC/DC tribue album - all the songs are done in a cajun/hillbilly kind of way. Not bad at all!
Thanks for the link - I'm gonna check it out! I will probably end up buying it and then moaning about it on the forum, despite all your advice!

Mate if she had a sister i think she would be my girlfriend as well lol !! seriously though she rules! and that chronicles is just too good for words, i dont think the
awesomeness of the gig has sank in yet....plus i havent had the chance to watch it properly cranked up with a few tinnys! (oh,the weekend cometh :headbang:)

Im sure i heard an AC\DC tune performed the way u described, like hillbilly....im sure i had dreamed it...guess not lol sounds insane!!! got any info on the cd ?

Valanx - oh, well, I'm gonna have to keep searching for that perfect Gal! Anyhow, it is great that you've a partner that understands what you like and relates to what you are into! That is one cool lady!
Anyhoo - get that DVD on, get the tinnys in and disturb the neighbours. That gig needs to be played LOUD!!

You did not dream the AC/DC Hillbilly Tribute album - it does exist!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005CCB0/104-2680978-9920769?v=glance

The amazing thing is that, although this album is very funny to listen to, you can respect the musicianship and hear the fondness that the players have for AC/DC!
AC/DC's material is so Blues based that the transfer of musical style is hilarious, yet very relevant!
It's a short album, but if you want a combination of comedy and respect, I reckon you ought to get it!

NIGHTWAR!! old buddy, listen!! DONT GET THAT SAXON TRIBUTE ALBUM!! Save thy money matey! have a listen to some of the tracks somewhere if u dont believe me, it really IS THAT BAD!! and not funny either! this is sound advice from a fellow mettaller, other people will and have told u the same!

macc thats some good, damn good advice mate, waste of money doesnt even come into it....think of all that wasted time and energy picking up the cd, opening it, putting in the cd player etc. etc.

Im really tempted by that hayseed dixie, i just know it would drive my girlfriend crazy :headbang:

Yeah i think i'l have to get it !

I've just had a recent listen to some of my Maiden stuff.

I've got a Maiden version of Bruce Dickinson doing Led Zepp's 'Communication Breakdown'. And a Maiden version of The Who's 'My Generation' with Blaze Bailey on vocals.

If you've heard these versions, what are your thoughts? And are there any other cover stuff out there that you feel worth mentioning?

Ive quite like 'communication breakdown' by maiden, never really been a fan of zepplin though! i liked the tune 'all in your mind' maiden did on a single as well but i cant remember who did the original

Testaments version of 'Rapid Fire' by priest is worth a mention! its better than the version they did with ripoff owens although the screamy part he did was very good,
i just think Testament doing a priest tune is worth its weight in gold! and Chuck Billy would kick Tim's ass no problem!

Yeah - I've never been a huge Led Zepp fan, although everything about my music tastes should tell me that I am. I like stuff like 'Rock 'n Roll', 'Black Dog', 'Dazed And Confused' etc. but they've never really hit me like my favourite Saxon, Priest, Maiden stuff!
'All in your mind' was a cover? Bloody Hell! I didn't know that! It's a decent track and now I'm going to have to do a little internet research to find who did the original! Thanks for the news, Valanx!! Also, if you've got the same Iron Maiden CD compilation as me to hear this stuff, can you tell me what the Hell is it all about regarding a track called 'Reach Out'? That sure isn't Bruce Dickinson, Paul Dianno or Blaze Bailey singing. And the music itself is very un-Maidenlike! Can anyone offer any help on this one?

Yeah 'Reach out' !!!! its er different eh! a bad song but not a terrible song!

Adrian Smith on the vocals good thing he stuck to playing the guitar! and didnt replace bruce (although blaze was bad enough lol)
Originally it was a b-side on one of the singles off 'Somewhere in Time' it was 'Wasted years' if im not mistaken.

Now its on the best of b-side's compilation from the box set they did a while back!

p.s. its possible now i think of it that "All in your Mind" may not be a cover, im sure it is though but i could of have been mistaken :loco:

Cheers for the info, Valanx - I knew that Adrian Smith had his own band where he sung, and I suspected that this 'Reach Out' tune may have been his (I couldn't think of any other connection!), but I did'nt really want to think it was true, you know??!!
It's a nice enough tune, but is hardly Maiden standard!
Adrian Smith is a great guitarist, and is one of those guys that looks very cool no matter what. But his voice kind of shocks me - he can sing, but where does the American vibe come from? It has a very inoffensive eighties-rock feel to it!
For some reason, I just find it hard to believe that Smith wrote and sung this song, considering all the great input he provided for Maiden and Dickinson!
No offence, Mr Smith, but stick to writing and playing guitar in Maiden!!
Although, on further listens, I detect a backing vocal by the 'Siren' himself!!
Regarding Blaze - it took me ages and ages to get used to this guy's vocals, but I did eventually become a bit of a fan of Blaze's! In fact, by the time this happened, Blaze had been kicked out of Maiden! But I think Maiden fans did ok out of this in the long term - the 3 Blaze albums are pretty good listening, particularly the first 2!

Yeah, i would certainly not say the 'blaze' albums are bad ones, it was only when 'Brave new world' was released that i accepted that! I always remember saying when bruce left that it was a stunt for him to return before the millenium to make Maiden huge again....Not saying i was right or anything but i did used to say that to everyone.

Now this is really interesting (to me anyway) i was recieved a cd from someone a while back called 'Anatomy of Evil' well, today i listened to it for the first time....Have any of you people heard it ??? i dont know anything about this release, i think its a tribute band, its Maiden tunes done in like folk music with a violin as the lead vocal !!! i think its pretty damn cool ! (sounds like the music of In Extremo if you are familiar with them)

Also have you heard "call to Irons - tribute to Iron Maiden" pretty decent some of it !

And just to go back to a saXon topic: I bought the 'live innocence' dvd the other day (id never ever seen it before!) hell of a gig, wicked stage! awesome sound... good to see a bit of saXon old school with freddie mercury on bass and terry from brookside on guitar :tickled: