Covers that would suit Opeth

{-sapob-}

Dec 17, 2008
You know when you listen to a song and you think to yourself,
Opeth would do a great version of this!

I had some perfect ones when thining of this thread......but theyve escaped me.

So please do go on.....

I think they could make an enormous cover of Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium) with some nice brutal growls for the chorus. Especially now with Fred on board they can even do some nice shredding using Hammett's great solos on this one.

I also think that Mike can make an amazing cover of Still Got the Blues by Gary Moore. He's obviously very good at bluesy moods so he can do wonders with this one.

Emotional Winter by Anathema. Already a very moody tune, and Mike's voice and some of their awesome instrumentation can fit very nicely into this one! Speaking of Anathema, I find quite a resemblance between Leave No Tract and Harvest.

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel. As if the song isn't powerful enough, some of the Opeth touch can make it simply insanely epic.

Tool - Rosetta Stoned (vocals are already distorted so they could pretty much get away with growling these)
Katatonia - Black Session (a bit Opeth-ish already, that metal riff and the lead over it is somewhat similar to the same kinda thing in Harlequin Forest after the first verse)
Led Zeppelin - No Quarter or The Rain Song (no quarter has already proven itself to be appropriate for heavier covers unlike some more upbeat zeppelin songs, and the rain song is obviously just a great acoustic ballad)
Testament - Return to Serenity or The Formation of Damnation (well everyone in Opeth seems to love the formation of damnation, and return to serenity is just a metal ballad, welcome home (sanitarium) would work too)
Agalloch - In the Shadow of our Pale Companion

And they have to do some sabbath some time..

Dream Theater - Repentance

Song was highly influenced by Opeth, I saw Michael sing a verse of it live at the 2nd NYC show. Also on DT's latest live dvd. Opeth would do a great job covering it!

I'm unsure about if it would fit or not, but these songs would be awesome to hear Opeth perform:
Tool - just about anything
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a blank planet

A Perfect Circle - Orestes
Anacrusis - Sound The Alarm

And wouldn't mind hearing a Hellhammer song covered.

Considering King Crimson's influence on Opeth I would recommend something from Red
How about Fallen Angel

Tool - Rosetta Stoned (vocals are already distorted so they could pretty much get away with growling these)

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but LMAO at this idea. Just the thought of Mike growling those vocals at the start of the song is extremely amusing in my mind. :lol::loco:
I'd actually like to hear it just for the comic value, but I highly doubt it'd every happen.

Some of the bands you're mentioning are modern metalbands and songs that would be hard to do anything with.
Do we need another Metallica cover or how could a Tool song become any better or more interesting than it already is?

Opeth has been really clever so far in their choices for covers.

Definitely some Floyd. I imagine stuff like Dogs, Us And Them, Hey You and Shine On You Crazy Diamond would sound awesome with an Opeth twist.

There are other threads like this around here, but...

ONE OF THESE DAYS...

I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES!!!!!