CPU Overloads, Crashing, and Computer Specs.

Brent Holder

Separating Body From Head
Aug 27, 2013
Hello Guys! :wave:

So... I'm pretty good with computers... to a certain extent. But I have never really learned much about internals and specs on computers. Recently I have just begun learning how to mix a little. One thing that has been making it a lot harder on me is how fast my computer chokes out and Reaper starts crashing (or on some of the more CPU intensive plugins it all starts crashing). This causes me to render my tracks out when I don't actually want to. For example when using Seinnheiser DrumMicA (Kontakt Player), it takes up so much CPU that sometimes I have to grit my teeth through the CPU spikes until I get it set up close to how I want it then render it as a stem. (If I knew how to render each drum separately to tracks I might be able to put up with this easier, so I could adjust the separate levels later in the mix)

I know buffering size is the main thing but I keep mine at 1024 since I don't do any recording and usually by the time I have 8 tracks or so its an uphill battle with crashing. And today I was going to try out EZDrummer and everytime I tried to switch kits when I would click on the snare, BD, toms ect. it would crash itself and Reaper.

I don't know if my computer is good. Or how it needs to be upgraded but if I could get some advice I would really appreciate it! :D

Manufactuer: Hewlett-Packard Company
Model: p6243w
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1200 2.10
Installed Memory: 3.00 (2.87 usable)
System Type: 64 Bit

Basically all I know about this is 64 bit is good... and I have heard a good amount of RAM is like 8 I think...

Anyone know what I can do to not have so much trouble? Or know a upgrade I could make to my computer? This is why I would like to go to school for computers so I would be able to troubleshoot this kinda stuff on my own.

I suspect that your CPU is a budget type and is probably only good for everyday use, not CPU intensive tasks. That amount of RAM shouldn't be causing the problem.

EDIT: After further research I found that your CPU has only one core and operates at speeds up to 2.1 GHz. This is pretty weak. I would replace the entire PC as it was first introduced in 2009 and is outdated. The memory is the older DDR 2 which is slow compared to the newer standards. It is not worth upgrading the components. Replace entirely.

I suspect that your CPU is a budget type and is probably only good for everyday use, not CPU intensive tasks. That amount of RAM shouldn't be causing the problem.

EDIT: After further research I found that your CPU has only one core and operates at speeds up to 2.1 GHz. This is pretty weak. I would replace the entire PC as it was first introduced in 2009 and is outdated. The memory is the older DDR 2 which is slow compared to the newer standards. It is not worth upgrading the components. Replace entirely.

Damn... I was worried that would be the case. Well for now I think I'm gonna have to put up with it I don't quite have the money for a new CPU.

Thank for the help though!

I've heard REAPER makes very good use of multicore processors (I have a six core and it works great for me), so I'd definitely suggest looking for a 4+ core CPU. While you're at it, might wanna upgrade to 8 GB of RAM as well, especially if you're running VSTi's and drum modules in real time. I was running with 16 GB for awhile, but ended up having two bad sticks that I pulled. Been running 8 gigs ever since and it's been plenty good enough.

AMD sempron....
THERE's your problem.
\
However, I've done big mixes on worse.
Just bounce any VSTI/instruments as audio. As they will hammer your machine and cause the spikes and drop outs you're talking about.

Also some plugins are gonna have more CPU over head than others. Say if your guitar are via a Virtual amp type thing with an IR for cab loaded. Bounce it.

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce.
http://youtu.be/y6y_4_b6RS8?t=44s

I have a pretty shitty processor as well, the trick is to as greyskull said just keep bouncing things to wav rather than keeping the VSTi open Reaper has a option when you go to render a track whether to render the master, the stems or the master and stems. Also, I'm not sure if you're doing this or not, don't try and record a whole song in one session have seperate projects.

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, no wonder you're having problems. The computer I built in 2007 was beefier than that. I've since upgraded just about everything in it.

The problem isn't that your computer is budget, the problem is that your computer was budget half a decade ago.

Yeah that's pretty much what I do constantly, which is fine but when it comes to drums I sometimes wish I could run a few more tracks with it before I have to bounce it down so I get all the levels adjusted properly, but I can get over it.

But thank you guys for pointing out what my main problem was, hopefully when I get a little money saved up I can get me a new computer. This one was just supposed to be like a family computer I just recently took it as my own and started using it for mixing.

What's your audio interface?

Komplete Audio 6

First of all you've only got 3GB's of RAM, that's nothing really for a DAW when you use virtual instruments (it's alright when you're just working with real tracked material).

Second your CPU is about 6 years old and was at the time an entry level budget junk, it's worth about 5$ now.

So time to upgrade bro, a 500$ PC will rip your old rig a new one easily.

First of all you've only got 3GB's of RAM, that's nothing really for a DAW when you use virtual instruments (it's alright when you're just working with real tracked material).

Second your CPU is about 6 years old and was at the time an entry level budget junk, it's worth about 5$ now.

So time to upgrade bro, a 500$ PC will rip your old rig a new one easily.

500$ isn't too bad. I can manage that. Thanks man.

Go to a forums on a enthusiast site such as www.anandtech.com and give them your budget and what you'll be using it for.

They'll give you very good list and usually the best bang for your buck.

ps. if you aren't playing any games, it's really cheap to build a machine since graphics cards to play modern games go for at least 200-300$. The new Intel Haswell processors have built in graphics controllers that are fairly good (can even play newer games on low settings) so you can skimp out on a GPU really.

Go to a forums on a enthusiast site such as www.anandtech.com and give them your budget and what you'll be using it for.

They'll give you very good list and usually the best bang for your buck.

ps. if you aren't playing any games, it's really cheap to build a machine since graphics cards to play modern games go for at least 200-300$. The new Intel Haswell processors have built in graphics controllers that are fairly good (can even play newer games on low settings) so you can skimp out on a GPU really.

Thank you man! I will definitely do that. Thanks for the info.

Thank you man! I will definitely do that. Thanks for the info.

Lots of good info floating around on Newegg.com as well if you're thinking of building a PC. I build a DAW PC two years ago and it wasn't difficult at all. The savings and ability to choose my own components were well worth the modest time investment. As hahallur eluded to, you can save a ton with a cheap graphics card if you're not gaming. I think the card in mine ran me about $30 if I remember correctly. Get a quality power supply, motherboard, and CPU, and a good amount (8+) gigs of RAM and you'll be good to go for quite some time.