Large session - CPU issue

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I'm working on large sessions right now. The drums, bass and rhythm guitars are mixed and I have some plugins on the master buss. But I'm getting insulted by my CPU every 2 minutes! So I have to find a good way to keep working with no issue.

The drums tracks are eating a lot of RAM and CPU. I think bouncing them into a stereo track + the kick track (muted) to trigger the comp on the master buss as I usually like to do. Do you think it could be a great solution or I miss something important?

Of course I save my current 'drum mixing session' to make some changes if needed then bouncing again...

Why not bounce the individual tracks so the plugins aren't clogging up your CPU but you can still tweak them later. And if you're running out of RAM just buy some more, it's dirt cheap.

Well, that's actually what I wanted to do. I tried. But some tracks have a ridiculous low gain (hihats, room mainly) and I was afraid that it could be a problem later. Maybe I'm just stupid in fact :D It is finally the simplest way to proceed.
And CPU is the problem more than RAM. Will be solved in a few month with a brand new iMac ;)

Well, that's actually what I wanted to do. I tried. But some tracks have a ridiculous low gain (hihats, room mainly) and I was afraid that it could be a problem later. Maybe I'm just stupid in fact :D It is finally the simplest way to proceed.
And CPU is the problem more than RAM. Will be solved in a few month with a brand new iMac ;)

OHGODWHY.
Nah, kidding. I just can't stand Mac in the slightest.

Toss a volume boost on those fuckers then bounce them :loco:

Okay, I bounced track per track including all processing except reverb because I wanted to adjust it if needed. And letting all the levels untouched. I just bypassed the plugins on the master buss. Doesn't work because the resulting gain of each track is way lower than the gain of the original tracks so in the new session (I imported the original reverb bus in the new session), the ratio wet/dry is not respected. And getting the same amount of reverb here and there in the new session is just impossible.

So I set each track so they have a 'normal' gain but it doesn't work because the tracks don't hit the VCC, the compressors or distortion the same way - quite logical - and I get weird results (snare or OH over distortioned...)

Finally I think I will bounce each track with all the processing - including reverb - (except master buss processing of course) in stereo tracks (stereo track for kick, stereo track for snare, etc.) so I'll get the stereo reverb applied on the drums bus for example on each track.

Does it sound logical, normal, or totally stupid?
I feel like a fucking idiot but I never had to deal with this kind of scenario before.

Thanks for your help!

This project will have approx. 95 tracks per session and some of them have many plugins this time (especially drums). It's ok on a big monster computer but mine is a classic 2008' iMac 3gHz/4RAM. The drums and the bass are mixed but I already got issues.

Great tip! Gotta be very careful about saving but I'll def try this. Thanks! Also I work on PT10.

I set up my memory on 1024 a while ago. I set it up on 512 and it works much better now! If someone can explain that because for me it's a nonsense... more memory = bad / less memory = good :confused:

The issue is Protools. Download reaper (free demo) and try run the same session. I promise the issue will stop. I love pt10 but I was having CPU errors just the same (current Mac pro high specs). Reaper runs the same setups at 30% CPU.

Even with a computer of that spec, you should only need to bounce any trigger tracks and soft synths.

I would bounce your reverb to it's own track rather than bouncing your drums wet with reverb. When the master bus comp/clipper/limiter hit the snare it will kill the transient a bit making the reverb more apparent. You will def. want to eq and adjust volume on the eq independently when it comes time for the final mix down.